English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 24 June 2024, 21:46   #1
OlafSch

New distribution based on 3.1 (and P96) in development

In the past I have invested a lot of time to develope distributions based on aros 68k, known as aros vision. Currently I work on new versions based on magellan and Scalos and will continue with it. But also I am aware there is need at 3.1 based versions and I have invested a lot of time in configuration of the desktops and collecting software that is mostly amiga. So I decided to also offer 3.1 based versions. The idea is user installs both 3.1 and P96 (P96 from aminet) and I offer the rest that can be copied in it.

In development is a magellan based version, a scalos based version will be added later. For example I have added already MagicMenu, a number of patches to speed it up, PowerWindows to move windows out of screen, datatypes, ahi, xfd, xad, whdload and much more

Old 24 June 2024, 22:13   #2
mattson62

looking awesome! very exciting news!
Old 25 June 2024, 01:16   #3
Dunny

Mate that is crying out for some good icons like MagicWB.
Old 25 June 2024, 02:36   #4
copse

I remember seeing someone show Vampire, and it had some automated setup where it seemed to do everything from workbench installs to presumably p96. Having something like that do the complete install would be ideal.
Old 25 June 2024, 09:19   #5
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by copse View Post
I remember seeing someone show Vampire, and it had some automated setup where it seemed to do everything from workbench installs to presumably p96. Having something like that do the complete install would be ideal.
There is apolloboot there that makes it possible to install different operating systems on one card. 3.1 and P96 are copyrighted and in some form or another still in development and sold, so I do not want to distribute it of course. I have not yet decided how to do it.
Old 25 June 2024, 09:21   #6
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Mate that is crying out for some good icons like MagicWB.
Problem with MagicWB I experienced some time ago, I need a full icon set including def icons, otherwise it looks finally like a mixture. Kens icons are pretty complete and also nice looking so I chose it here. With MagicWB I did not find enough free icons and I cannot copy them from a commercial distribution.
Old 25 June 2024, 15:23   #7
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafSch View Post
Problem with MagicWB I experienced some time ago, I need a full icon set including def icons, otherwise it looks finally like a mixture. Kens icons are pretty complete and also nice looking so I chose it here. With MagicWB I did not find enough free icons and I cannot copy them from a commercial distribution.
It's ok, you can make do with an inferior icon set

But you know that every time you look at them you will be saddened for what could have been.
Old 25 June 2024, 16:06   #8
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

I don't see how proper palette-independent glowicons are inferior to 8-colour poorly dithered icons in ghastly shades of pink and brown.
Old 25 June 2024, 21:17   #9
pixie

To each, each own
Old 26 June 2024, 00:04   #10
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
It's ok, you can make do with an inferior icon set

But you know that every time you look at them you will be saddened for what could have been.
I see it this way... it must make sense

On Aros 68k I can use OS4 as theme so certain icons make sense

Here on 3.1. I use Magellan so only certain icon sets make sense. The Icon sets must be complete. I am not able to add icons because I am not a graphician. I more concentrate on functionality. That is my priority.
Old 26 June 2024, 18:51   #11
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafSch View Post
I see it this way... it must make sense

On Aros 68k I can use OS4 as theme so certain icons make sense

Here on 3.1. I use Magellan so only certain icon sets make sense. The Icon sets must be complete. I am not able to add icons because I am not a graphician. I more concentrate on functionality. That is my priority.
And that is as it should be. You need a complete icon set, not a good icon set. I can understand that.
Old 26 June 2024, 19:49   #12
pipper

When "Magellan" is mentioned here, are we talking about DOpus5 Magellan?
Old 26 June 2024, 19:51   #13
AMIGASYSTEM

I cannot understand how in 2024 we still have to use 8-colour icons.

Once upon a time Amiga users were ahead in computer progress and had Workbenches that made Windows users' eyes twinkle in amazement.

Today, the remaining Amiga users look back and Windows users don't even look at an Amiga system anymore! If anyone looks at it they get a giggle!
Old 26 June 2024, 20:47   #14
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
I cannot understand how in 2024 we still have to use 8-colour icons.

Once upon a time Amiga users were ahead in computer progress and had Workbenches that made Windows users' eyes twinkle in amazement.

Today, the remaining Amiga users look back and Windows users don't even look at an Amiga system anymore! If anyone looks at it they get a giggle!

most likely because todays workbench still uses RTG as an optional extra, without RTG, if you want a speedy/responsive workbench then you need as few colours as possible, and thats why we have the 8 color MWB stuff and lots of it, more than that and our performance simply tanks.
Old 26 June 2024, 21:03   #15
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

For as few colours as possible: only 4 colours are needed for the "new look" effect, so an 8-colour Workbench is overkill. And if running an 8 colour Workbench I would not want to waste the extra colours on pinks and browns instead of the more useful, attractive and common primary colours.
Old 26 June 2024, 21:35   #16
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipper View Post
When "Magellan" is mentioned here, are we talking about DOpus5 Magellan?
yes... the new version 5.90 or 5.91
Old 26 June 2024, 22:34   #17
8bitbubsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna View Post
most likely because todays workbench still uses RTG as an optional extra, without RTG, if you want a speedy/responsive workbench then you need as few colours as possible, and thats why we have the 8 color MWB stuff and lots of it, more than that and our performance simply tanks.
Agreed... Even with a 68060 in my A1200 (though no RTG), I prefer a low-color video mode in Workbench just because it's so much more responsive.
Old Yesterday, 01:42   #18
EctoOne

How complex is this going to be? Because I personally dislike the huge recent distros which are pre loaded with all kinds of "useless" stuff which I don't need/want.
Old Yesterday, 12:04   #19
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by EctoOne View Post
How complex is this going to be? Because I personally dislike the huge recent distros which are pre loaded with all kinds of "useless" stuff which I don't need/want.
my normal distribution is very complex and includes lots of software. From feedback I know that users like it because of that. But I do not rule out to create a reduced version where most of the added software is removed if there is enough interest in it.
Old Yesterday, 14:32   #20
EctoOne

To be honest, the only thing I'm somewhat interested in is seeing a configured DirOpus 5 environment. I never got into it and I would like to see if I missed something.

I have my own "distro" which I never made public, because I wasn't in the mood to provide any support for it. And since it is basically just a bunch of custom install scripts which download the packages instead of having them already installed, I expected that some sort of support would be required from me.