English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 21 September 2019, 09:43   #1
sparhawk

Building WinUAE instructions

Since the build instructions are rather complicated I wanted to see if the build process can be simplified.

1. You have to sperately download and install winuaeinclips.zip and aros.rom.cpp.zip

I was wondering why. Are these files from some external project? Are they changing frequently? Why are they not included in the project structure? Is this just some legacy thing or is there some technical reason to keep it as it is? Wouldn't it be more convenient to provide these files a nugets, as Visual Studio can pull them automatically, and also versioning is much smoother with them (in case these files still change frequently).

2. In the solution file there are some projects which can be deleted. Why are they not removed? Are they still needed for some internal purpose, or are these some leftovers?

In my local build I put the dependencies so that I no longer have to follow the instructions in what order I need to build. So I would like to fix these things in order to get a smoother build process. Ideally one should download the repo and build out of the box. Obviously external dependencies like WDK/SDK/NASM still have to be done outside, but the project itself should build without alle these instructions.
Old 21 September 2019, 17:30   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

1: because I don't really care about build issues or maintain it, it is someone else's problem. It is easiest just to stuff all the dependencies in single file than try to hunt binaries that are compiled with correct options or correct compiler etc. They are not going to be included with the project (some of the files are not GPL compatible anyway)

2: None of them are unused and I am not going to remove or move them.

(Sorry for being so negative but I don't change anything in project unless I actually gain something from it instead of just maintaining something so that few extra people can build it more easily. You only need to do the annoying part once anyway. It may change if It means getting useful contributions to UAE. Which is quite unlikely.)