English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 30 January 2013, 17:34   #1
bjavor

Cable length: IDE vs SCSI

I have an A3000 in which I've replaced the hard drive by a CF card using a combo of an SCSI-to-IDE bridge (ACARD) and an IDE-to-CF adapter. Currently the CF adapter id plugged directly into the IDE connector on the SCSI bridge without any cables, which in turn is connected to the motherboard using the original (rather short) SCSI cable...

Now I would like to modify this so that I can get an easier access to the CF card. I've found a CF adapter that is mouted to a standard extension slot cover. But to mount it I need longer cables.

I have two options for this:

1. I get a longer SCSI cable. Though so far I can't find any shop selling them
2. Keep the original SCSI cable and insert an IDE cable between the SCSI bridge and the CF adapter.

Which one is the better choice? Or is it irrelevant?

Old 30 January 2013, 17:41   #2
thomas

The Acard bridge is designed to be plugged directly to the IDE device. So a longer SCSI cable corresponds better to the specs than a IDE cable. Using a cable in place of a direct connection might lead to transmission errors.

Furthermore I suspect that you'll have similar difficulties to find an IDE cable with a male connector.
Old 30 January 2013, 17:42   #3
bjavor

OK. Thanks!

Old 30 January 2013, 18:32   #4
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
You can buy IDE extender cables, I use one in my A4000D with SCSI-IDE bridge so I can fold the SCSI-IDE adapter under or beside the HDD otherwise it's impossible to mount in an A4000D:

To date I don't have any transmission errors

But in you case longer SCSI cable might be the best solution, you can have them made any length, maybe Amigakit will make you one or a member here or at Amibay