English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 18 December 2011, 20:06   #1
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Global Effect CD32

Hi, I'm trying to get the CD32 version of Global Effect working with WinUAE - it boots up and I go through the various options including mouse or joypad, then it fails just after I glimpse the actual game screen, complete with pointer. Has anyone got this game to work? Advice welcome, I'm very impressed with WinUAE, but I don't know much about how it works. Cheers.
Old 18 December 2011, 20:25   #2
Ian
Global Moderator

Works fine here, just use quickstart mode and move the slider to best compatibility.
Old 19 December 2011, 19:47   #3
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Works fine here, just use quickstart mode and move the slider to best compatibility.
Weird - I've tried that with no luck. If there were a problem with one of the CD32 rom files I'm using would the program load at all, I wonder? Is the game worth a look would you say? Thanks for any advice.
Old 19 December 2011, 23:09   #4
Ian
Global Moderator

I don't know, not given it more than a few seconds play while testing it.

I don't think a faulty rom would cause it to fail after the game had already loaded, so it might be your image?

The one I tested was the one in TOSEC (Global Effect (1994)(Millennium)[!]) and I used the CD file selector in the quickstart options and selected the zip file.

There is a sound track, maybe if you haven't used a cue sheet and just used the iso file that could cause it to fail.
Old 20 December 2011, 08:07   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Both iso-only and cue works fine here.

You didn't follow some bogus CD32 emulation "guide" that asks to add CD drive path to WinUAE harddrives panel?
Old 20 December 2011, 19:46   #6
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Both iso-only and cue works fine here.

You didn't follow some bogus CD32 emulation "guide" that asks to add CD drive path to WinUAE harddrives panel?
Its probably me being rubbish with using the WinUAE options. I'm actually using a genuine CD32 CD rather than an image, but I'll try using one in case that's causing a problem. If I've messed up WinUAE in some way by changing options is there an easy way to put that right? Will going for the quickstart CD32 overide any changes I might have made previously? Thanks!
Old 20 December 2011, 20:06   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
Its probably me being rubbish with using the WinUAE options. I'm actually using a genuine CD32 CD rather than an image, but I'll try using one in case that's causing a problem. If I've messed up WinUAE in some way by changing options is there an easy way to put that right? Will going for the quickstart CD32 overide any changes I might have made previously? Thanks!
Yeah, Quickstart will override most settings but not all. Make sure there is nothing listed in Harddrives panel.

Perhaps your drive has problems reading the CD or something like that and game expects faster reponse.
Old 22 December 2011, 21:42   #8
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Yeah, Quickstart will override most settings but not all. Make sure there is nothing listed in Harddrives panel.

Perhaps your drive has problems reading the CD or something like that and game expects faster reponse.
Thanks Toni, I will give that a go. I downloaded the image though, and it didn't work initially, but with some (slightly random) fiddling it now seems to work okay. Thanks guys.