English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 02 September 2021, 17:24   #61
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Oh dear. This thread soon turned into a dumpster fire.

Not sure I agree with this phrase "Man up" having that many real negative connotations, think it's just short hand for saying get a grip and focus. I think the reason the phrase mentions the male gender is more a historical/cultural happenstance. History happens, cultures evolve, attitudes rarely remain static.. Perspective is always required. I recon the phrase will fade out of history like many others, not sure it needs to evoke heated arguments.

Too many projections of ones own sensitivities can lead to misunderstandings.

As for the YouTube comments, yeah people are often quick to judge and poke fun, can't see this improving anytime soon.
Old 02 September 2021, 17:29   #62
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
Unbelievable behaviour from a mod, so childish.
Some people never progress past the school playground behaviourally.
I’ve already asked Bippy to delete my account but perhaps you could do it.

I hope that one day, your colleagues find out who you really are, because karma is a b1tch my friend. Peace out.

Good. It's your freedom. Your choice. I'd like to say that you'd be missed, but you won't. Bye!
Old 02 September 2021, 17:41   #63
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
... a mental health worker...
I don't know what that is

I have heard of mental post office workers though. A lot of shooting and killing involved there. Hope it's not the case here.
Old 02 September 2021, 17:48   #64
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

@Steril707. Your game is really impressive, please do keep doing what you're doing as you clearly have much talent and passion. Screw the haters, what do they know?! Anybody that keeps the Amiga flame burning deserves plenty of credit.

Peace.

Old 02 September 2021, 17:58   #65
daxb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparhawk View Post
Social Justice Warrior Society.
Has this something to do with Marvel?!
Old 02 September 2021, 18:19   #66
sparhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
Has this something to do with Marvel?!

Yes. I always marvel at their "arguments".
Old 02 September 2021, 18:37   #67
rothers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortuguesePilot View Post
Good. It's your freedom. Your choice. I'd like to say that you'd be missed, but you won't. Bye!

Wow.
Old 02 September 2021, 19:12   #68
clebin

Quote:
FFS man, go and get some fresh air. This is not the way to speak to people and it's way beneath you. Mods are supposed to defuse and if necessary close down situations like this, not pour petrol on what was rightly called a dumpster fire.
Old 02 September 2021, 19:26   #69
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clebin View Post
FFS man, go and get some fresh air. This is not the way to speak to people and it's way beneath you. Mods are supposed to defuse and if necessary close down situations like this, not pour petrol on what was rightly called a dumpster fire.

Why? For speaking the truth? I won't miss him. Period. Will you miss him? Will he miss me?

He came at me from no-where with his personal agenda, acting all high and mighty as if he was morally superior with his toxic anti-male stance. Started the fire then couldn't handle the heat then played the victim card and chickened out. Yeah... real class act. Who the heck needs that here? Do you need it? I'm glad he's gone, these SJW are usually a pain to read and to deal with, though I was not going to ban him. I never banned anyone. Ever. I didn't even delete his account. He registered here on is own accord, he can leave all he wants. Like I said: his freedom. SO, again: why is TELLING THE TRUTH so offensive to you? Was I supposed to go all fake and say "I'm sad to see you go"? Really? Is falsity more valued than truthfulness these days? What's with this "boohoo" posture everyone's having lately? Are people made of poo? Seriously, guys! I thought we were all grown ups here. Geez...
Old 02 September 2021, 19:43   #70
clebin

Quote:
Why? For speaking the truth? I won't miss him. Period. Will you miss him? Will he miss me?

He came at me from no-where with his personal agenda, acting all high and mighty as if he was morally superior with his toxic anti-male stance. Started the fire then couldn't handle the heat then played the victim card and chickened out. Yeah... real class act. Who the heck needs that here? Do you need it? I'm glad he's gone, these SJW are usually a pain to read and to deal with, though I was not going to ban him. I never banned anyone. Ever. I didn't even delete his account. He registered here on is own accord, he can leave all he wants. Like I said: his freedom. SO, again: why is TELLING THE TRUTH so offensive to you? Was I supposed to go all fake and say "I'm sad to see you go"? Really? Is falsity more valued than truthfulness these days? What's with this "boohoo" posture everyone's having lately? Are people made of poo? Seriously, guys! I thought we were all grown ups here. Geez...
He's not a mod, you are. I don't want to hear about "Social Justice Warriors" (whatever that even means) any more than I want the battle of the wokes versus the gammons. There's enough of that shit on Twitter (I am not on Twitter).

You could have warned people to keep the thread on-topic or locked it, but instead you lost your temper, lost your head and piled in. This is an Amiga forum and it started as an Amiga-themed thread and it should've stayed that way. IMO, no good will ever come from having this kind of socio-political crap on EAB. EDIT: and mods are the last people who should be facilitating it. Will another mod take this thread round the back of the barn and put it out of its misery?

Last edited by clebin; 02 September 2021 at 19:49.
Old 02 September 2021, 19:48   #71
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Seriously, although I usually advocate for free speech and the right to have your own opinion; PortuguesePilot, you're behaviour is in my eyes, completely unacceptable for a Global Moderator. As such, I am calling for your GM status to be removed.
Old 02 September 2021, 19:55   #72
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Quote:
You could have warned people to keep the thread on-topic or locked it, but instead you lost your temper, lost your head and piled in. This is an Amiga forum and it started as an Amiga-themed thread and it should've stayed that way. IMO, no good will ever come from having this kind of socio-political crap on EAB. EDIT: and mods are the last people who should be facilitating it. Will another mod take this thread round the back of the barn and put it out of its misery?

I actually agree with you on almost all, except: I never lost my temper. This is what I think and I am expressing my opinion, just like he did. Moderator or not, I am also a member here and I am also entitled to express my opinion. I saw no reason to lock the thread, it's a sound thread if people don't derail it. I think we're seeing too much into this. It was just a member of the woke brigade trying to go against someone who doesn't quite agree with his and just so happens to be a moderator. But - as is my appanage - I didn't take any advantage of my position to "win" an argument (that's not winning at all) and all I did was try to show that there are other points of view but he was unable to see it. Then he decided to leave. It's HIS decision, not mine. I fail to see what was so grave in what I said and done. Except maybe the whole "lost my temper" thing. I never lost my temper. If it came across that way, then maybe something got lost in translation and/or on written form, since English is not my mother tongue and in written form all the prosody goes away. I'm an honest, blunt and to-the-point guy both here and in real life and maybe that doesn't site well with some people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgarath View Post
Seriously, although I usually advocate for free speech and the right to have your own opinion; PortuguesePilot, you're behaviour is in my eyes, completely unacceptable for a Global Moderator. As such, I am calling for your GM status to be removed.
OK. But I'd like to know more of to why. We shall talk in the appropriate place.
Old 02 September 2021, 20:08   #73
clebin

Quote:
Moderator or not, I am also a member here and I am also entitled to express my opinion.
It comes to something when a user has to quote the site rules to a Global Moderator.

Quote:
Banned topics

The following topics should not be discussed on the EAB:
* Political affairs
* Religion
* Racism

The reason that they are not allowed is that they nearly always end in flame wars.
The EAB is not a platform to force political propaganda and views on other members.
Old 02 September 2021, 20:09   #74
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Quote:
It comes to something when a user has to quote the site rules to a Global Moderator.

I know the rules. Care to point to where any of those points were touched?
Old 02 September 2021, 20:17   #75
clebin

Quote:
I know the rules. Care to point to where any of those points were touched?
I would call some of your comments highly political, though not party political. But I don’t think even you could argue against the spirit of the rules and what they are there to guard against.

I don’t have anything more to add to this conversation.
Old 02 September 2021, 20:20   #76
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Quote:
I would call some of your comments highly political, though not party political. But I don’t think even you could argue against the spirit of the rules and what they are there to guard against.

I don’t have anything more to add to this conversation.

Well, I disagree with you. There's nothing political about my personal views. I just don't like to feel my core attacked. What he did was reverse-machismo. If it's wrong to degrade women for being women, it should equally be wrong to degrade men for being men. These issues transcend politics and, thus, are not against the rules.

But the matter is being discussed where it should be. So, please, let's resume the thread onto its rightful topic. Thanks.
Old 02 September 2021, 20:24   #77
Hook

Holy crap.

I log on once in a blue moon and see this steaming pile of poo. What has started as a thread of a software creator venting about negative comments on YouTube has become... A thread about a moderator posting negative comments.

I used to be a global moderator just like you on a different message board. I did it for almost 15 years before I asked the board owner to demote me to regular user status because I didn't enjoy moderating anymore. I could not objectively moderate without getting emotionally involved.

And you my friend, are getting emotionally involved. Perhaps you should consider demoting yourself because you are clearly vitriolic in your comments.

So please tell us. Where did the bad man touch you?
Old 02 September 2021, 20:37   #78
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgarath View Post
You are not serious, are you ?
If not, good joke
If yes,
Old 02 September 2021, 21:18   #79
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Can everybody calm down.
And can some mod close this thread and erase it.

It went so far down the toilet hole it's better we claim it never existed...
Old 02 September 2021, 21:44   #80
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
[...] so childish.
Some people never progress past the school playground behaviourally.
I’ve already asked Bippy to delete my account [...]
Quote:
[...] Idon’t have anything more to add to this conversation.
Two people leaving after two-three exchanges... hum...
This is not what we can call an healthy exchange. A defeat due to empty arguments ?

@xanderbeanz: I do not share some of your views in this thread, but I sincerely hope that you will think twice before making your decision.