English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Contest

Old 19 September 2019, 13:56   #1
DamienD
Banned

Rygar AGA Edition - Official Bugs thread

Ok, this thread has been created in order for people to post current bugs in Rygar...

This will help Graeme keep track of things and fix / update on the issues when he gets the time

I'm currently moving "bug" posts from the Discussion: Rygar AGA Edition --> here so have closed the thread until I finish...

Ignore the date on this first post; the thread was created today... I had to copy one of my old post's in to start the thread so that I could give background; and threads are always arranged by post date.

Just as an FYI; here are the list of bugs I reported when testing various versions:

Testing - Part 1:

Start of Game
Intro music starts for a few seconds; then starts again.

(RygarEAB18_000.png)
If you get over 5 men then one will take over the fist weapon slot.

Round 1 (RygarEAB18_001.png)
Bonus holder above the platform.

Round 2 (RygarEAB18_002.png)
Jumping on the stacked tribesmen's heads doesn't kill them; I guess that's intentional and how the arcade is?

Round 2 (RygarEAB18_003.png)
Graphics bug after dying at the stacked tribesmen and restarting before the gap; see left of Rygar.

Round 3 (RygarEAB18_004.png)
Jumping on flying enemies doesn't kill them and you die immediately.

Round 4 (RygarEAB18_005.png)
Graphics bug on first platform.

Round 4 (RygarEAB18_006.png)
Sometimes the circular enemies rise up from the lava in the middle of platforms do can't move.

Round 4 (didn't get a screenshot)
When fighting the tall enemy and he jumps back / forth; gpahics artifacts are left on screen.

Round 4 (RygarEAB18_007.png)
After fighting / dying from the tall enemy, the plaform to the left of staring was buggy. Tried moving next to it and sort of got stuck.

Round 5 (RygarEAB18_008.png)
Start of round five there is a graphics top / left as you enter the round.

Round 5 (RygarEAB18_009.png)
When moving through the stage there is a blue highlight at the top of the screen behind the background.

Round 5 (RygarEAB18_010.png)
Graphics bug top / right before you get to the rope.

Round 7 (RygarEAB18_011.png)
Jumped on a flying enemy, didn't die, but jumped off the screen no longer to be seen. Walked left for a while and then fell.

Round 7 (RygarEAB18_012.png)
When you kill any of the stacked tribesmen; the red death image is that of the flying enemy.

Round 9 (RygarEAB18_013.png)
No rope unless you make a leap of faith.

Round 9 (RygarEAB18_014.png)
When I restarted the level from the main title / code input you actually see the intro first and then this graphics bug.

Round 9 (RygarEAB18_015.png)
The rope seems to be going through Rygar's lower body.

Round 9 (RygarEAB18_016.png)
Like Round 5, when moving through the stage there are grpahics glitches at the top of the screen for say 2cm.

Round 10 (RygarEAB18_017.png)
When you hit the monkey's ball; not sure what the red death image is.

Round 10 (RygarEAB18_018.png)
Triceratops enemy stuck on no platform. Same thing sometimes for the circular enemies.

Round 11 (RygarEAB18_019.png)
Graphics bug in the lava at the start of level.

Round 11 (RygarEAB18_020.png)
Died when about to jump off the rope; restarted in a death loop.

Testing Part 2:

(RygarEAB19_001.png)
If you have the "Shield" power and die, when you start the timer is there running.

Round 4 (RygarEAB19_002.png)
Bug with first set of platforms.

Round 5 (RygarEAB19_003.png)
Bug with after coming off the rope, top section.

Round 8 (RygarEAB19_004.png)
On this stage and some of the other ones there are purple bars outside of game area; need to be clipped.

Round 9 (RygarEAB19_005.png)
Jumping onto the rope you go out of the screen and then climb back up instead of just grabbing on. Also, when swinging on the rope another rope is still there.

Round 9 (RygarEAB19_006.png)
Graphics bug / line when descending the rope.

Round 9 (RygarEAB19_007.png)
Graphics bug after you've left the rope and gone right.

Round 9 (RygarEAB19_008.png)
Monkeys keep missing platforms when jumping and fall through.

Round 10 (RygarEAB19_009.png)
Triceratops still appaering / walking on missing platform.

Round 11 (RygarEAB19_010.png)
When first on the rope and when swinging, another rope is still there.

Round 11 (RygarEAB19_011.png)
Frog mosters misaligned on the platforms; forgot to mention this happened also on the 1st rope stage.

Round 11 (RygarEAB19_012.png)
Same bug with after coming off the rope, top section.

Round 11 (RygarEAB19_013.png)
After killing the stacked tribesman and receiving the bonus I died. Upon restart the bonus text is still there.

Round 11 (RygarEAB19_014.png)
Graphics bug in the sky; hold on, that's an "elderly" man face.

Round 12 (RygarEAB19_015.png)
On this stage there are purple bars outside of game area; need to be clipped.

Round 12 (RygarEAB19_016.png)
After killing the tribesman and receiving the bonus I died. Upon restart the bonus text is still there.

Round 13 (RygarEAB19_017.png)
On this stage there is a blue block outside of game area in the bottom left and right; need to be clipped.

(RygarEAB19_018.png)
After entering password for a stage the Rygar logo goes funny and I couldn't start; that's the end of testing for tonight...

Testing Part 3:

Round 5 (RygarEAB20_001.png)
At start of climb, double rope if moving left or right.

Round 5 (RygarEAB20_002.png and RygarEAB20_003.png)
Misaligned enemies on platform.

Round 9 (RygarEAB20_004.png)

Round 9 (RygarEAB20_005.png)
Graphics glitch when first jumping on the rop and moving down.

Round 9 (RygarEAB20_006.png)
Graphics glitch as you come off the rope and move right.

Round 11 (RygarEAB20_007.png)

Round 11 (RygarEAB20_008.png)
Misaligned enemies on platform.

Round 11 (RygarEAB20_009.png)
Monkeys jump through the platform and don't land on top.

Round 13 (RygarEAB20_010.png)
Missing parts of the dragon. Also when I first started the stage there was half a rhino.

Round 14 (RygarEAB20_011.png)
Graphics gitches under bridge i.e. the lava animation is still going through it seems. Also grey block in water.

Round 14 (RygarEAB20_012.png)
Dashed lines under bridge. Also the land background just stops / is cutoff.

Round 21 (RygarEAB20_013.png)
Dashed lines above Rygar.

Round 22 (RygarEAB20_014.png)
Dashed lines above Rygar. I actually noted that these only started appearing after dying; could be the same as previous times.

Round 23 (RygarEAB20_015.png)

Round 23 (RygarEAB20_016.png)
Graphics glitch when first jumping on the rop and moving down.

Round 23 (RygarEAB20_017.png)
Misaligned enemy on platform.

Round 23 (RygarEAB20_018.png)
Graphics glitch as you come off the rope and move right.

Round 24 (RygarEAB20_019.png)
At start of climb, double rope if moving left or right. Also powerup that appeared before jumping on the rope followed me up.

Round 25 (RygarEAB20_020.png)
There were 2 x elderlies in quick succession. How come?

Round 30 (RygarEAB20_021.png)
Rygar just runs through a wall to get to the boss.

Round 30 (RygarEAB20_022.png)
Boss jumps off screen. Also after beating him I seem to have been awarded a "Sun" powerup; which followed me onto the finishing scenario.

Finish:
Games was stuck on final screen but heard the music etc... change as if it was supposed to jump back to the High Score / Title screen.

Most of the bugs in Part 1 & 2 & 3 have been fixed now, but some still remain

Last edited by DamienD; 20 October 2019 at 17:05.
Old 19 September 2019, 22:13   #2
Foul

Send a message via ICQ to Foul Send a message via MSN to Foul
A small bug on the last video : when you kill the four guy on each other to get the 10.000pts bonus..when you kill the guy on floor..the other guy up are not falling..they stay in the air, until you kill them..
Old 19 September 2019, 22:19   #3
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foul View Post
A small bug on the last video : when you kill the four guy on each other to get the 10.000pts bonus..when you kill the guy on floor..the other guy up are not falling..they stay in the air, until you kill them..
yeah I know... we're gonna have to live with it.
Old 13 October 2019, 07:43   #4
wairnair

First impressions on real CD32, TF330, ClassicWB + KTRL32 and Competition Pro

Plays very smooth, feels better than on UAE

Some minor glitches/nice to haves if I may..
- entering a password works only once. Even though the password stays there the next time you hit the main menu and it says e.g. "start round 4" but it starts round 1. You have to re-type the password to start round 4 (or whatever round) again.
- sound glitches occasionally when dying, the fight sound gets repeated fast
- I noticed a split second delay when jumping (using 2nd button, haven't tried single button mode yet). press the button, stumble for a split sec, jump. the scrolling stumbles as well.
- would be cool to have the high scores saved
- and finally a pause/resume button for us CD32 pad users would be great. super extra: map some of the cheat buttons to the pad.

The game's very addicting and feels very arcade-y. Thanks again mcgeezer for it and jotd for the slave.
Old 13 October 2019, 20:15   #5
hexaae
Bug hunter

No issue with 2nd button on WinUAE, both with XBox One BT controller (set as Gamepad), or Joystick Speedlink USB in signature. Using WHDLoad version.

Bugs:
1) sometimes if you die right after you press fire, fire sound enters in loop in the death sequence
2) (you can ignore this since it's very marginal) very minor flashing background at screen reset changes (main menu to game, game to main menu, after you die and continue etc.)

@Foul
No issue with timer 1:00 here on my WinUAE...
Old 13 October 2019, 20:17   #6
wairnair

@mcgeezer

I have a list of mostly minor/convenience issues that I posted a bit back but maybe you haven't seen. the game is great as is, but I thought I'd sneak in these again

glitches:

- entering a password works only once. Even though the password stays there the next time you hit the main menu and it says e.g. "start round 4" but it starts round 1. You have to re-type the password to start round 4 (or whatever round) again.
- sound glitches occasionally when dying, the fight sound gets repeated fast

nice to have:

- would be cool to have the high scores saved
- Skip intro text at start of game / after game over with fire button to speed up trying-and-dying sequence
- pause/resume button for us CD32 pad users would be great (PLAY button on CD32 joypad). When paused: press e.g. BLUE (==2nd button) to exit game
Old 13 October 2019, 20:30   #7
hexaae
Bug hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexaae View Post
2) (you can ignore this since it's very marginal) very minor flashing background at screen reset changes (main menu to game, game to main menu, after you die and continue etc.)
... this seems to happen at palette changes for half a second when background is already on screen.

3) when you start a new round (e.g. you completed round one) first time you press fire there is fire sound but no fire sprite animation...
Old 16 October 2019, 15:20   #8
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Looks like a one-time glitch in Level 9. But i saw some other glitches, e.g. garbled graphics in level 5 after jumping from the rope. Should i play the ADF version without my turbo card plugged in?
Old 16 October 2019, 15:27   #9
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Looks like a one-time glitch in Level 9. But i saw some other glitches, e.g. garbled graphics in level 5 after jumping from the rope. Should i play the ADF version without my turbo card plugged in?
No, the turbo card should be fine... but it could be the cause of it.

The two squares of garbled graphics I know about when dismounting the rope, I'll fix them later if I get a chance.

Just remember to try the LMB and fire at the same time when playing if the game hangs like that again.
Old 16 October 2019, 15:33   #10
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I also noticed that the Rygar dying sample sometimes gets distorted. Happens sporadically.
Old 16 October 2019, 15:38   #11
Foul

Send a message via ICQ to Foul Send a message via MSN to Foul
it seems someone already noticed that : i just started a game setting password lvl 9... died rapidly.. and when restarted with the good password set, it starts on lvl 1 !
Old 16 October 2019, 15:43   #12
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
But i saw some other glitches, e.g. garbled graphics in level 5 after jumping from the rope. Should i play the ADF version without my turbo card plugged in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
The two squares of garbled graphics I know about when dismounting the rope, I'll fix them later if I get a chance.
Quote:
I also noticed that the Rygar dying sample sometimes gets distorted. Happens sporadically.
Yup, all reported to G when I was testing various versions of the game numerous times from start to finish.

I'm sure he'll get around to fixing
Old 16 October 2019, 15:45   #13
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

In Level 18 i got garbled graphics too, after killing a Rhino mount. Some colored bars around the Rhino sprite with numbers and letters.
Old 19 October 2019, 11:44   #14
wairnair

Findings on real CD32 with Amigajay's ISO burnt

- works on stock machine!
- doesn't work from CD with TF330, says "you are outta ram buddy...", CF card pulled to maximize mem
- BUT: works from HDD with 2-color workbench (1,985,408 chip + plenty of fast ram)
- and if you have ~1,900,000 chip only then it also says "you are outta ram buddy...", as expected

How come it doesn't work with CD + fast RAM?

On a sidenote, oddly, I've experienced more glitches than usual. Sometimes I couldn't pickup the item that kills all baddies on screen, there were missing parts of graphics e.g. half dragon, half rock. It also slows down e.g. round 6 where lots of baddies are running around and also at the rope climbing part. Maybe due to 020 vs 030 on the TF330?

this is the out of mem screen (in winuae, but obviously the same thing happens on real hw as well):

Last edited by wairnair; 19 October 2019 at 11:52.
Old 19 October 2019, 17:01   #15
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wairnair View Post
Findings on real CD32 with Amigajay's ISO burnt

- works on stock machine!
- doesn't work from CD with TF330, says "you are outta ram buddy...", CF card pulled to maximize mem
- BUT: works from HDD with 2-color workbench (1,985,408 chip + plenty of fast ram)
- and if you have ~1,900,000 chip only then it also says "you are outta ram buddy...", as expected

How come it doesn't work with CD + fast RAM?

On a sidenote, oddly, I've experienced more glitches than usual. Sometimes I couldn't pickup the item that kills all baddies on screen, there were missing parts of graphics e.g. half dragon, half rock. It also slows down e.g. round 6 where lots of baddies are running around and also at the rope climbing part. Maybe due to 020 vs 030 on the TF330?

this is the out of mem screen (in winuae, but obviously the same thing happens on real hw as well):
Is it possible to emulate one of the TF330 cards at all in WinUAE?
I'd be interested to know what the 'avail' utility shows with one of those TF330 cards installed. As far as I know, the Amiga OS should prioritise loading into FastRAM over chip ram if it available so if the TF330 has Fastram then it should use it, the game needs about 1.65mb of chip ram to run if the game is loaded into fast ram.

Nice that you got it working on a stock CD32, I'll look into the graphics glitches but the slow downs you mention are about right on a stock A1200, Having fast ram installed drastically increases speed.
Old 19 October 2019, 17:32   #16
Amigajay

Quote:
As far as I know, the Amiga OS should prioritise loading into FastRAM over chip ram if it available so if the TF330 has Fastram then it should use it
Don't think it does this unless prompted, i just used a 'fastmemfirst' utility which i've used before on my fastram CD32 disc to take advantage of people having fastram.

I then reduced the chipmem to 1mb and fastram to 8mb in winuae to see if it used it, but it still comes up with 'outta ram'...
Old 19 October 2019, 17:40   #17
wairnair

Quote:
Is it possible to emulate one of the TF330 cards at all in WinUAE?
A TF330 really is just an 030@50mhz (with MMU in my case) + 64MB fast + IDE controller. We had a thread where we were trying to replicate it for mac emulation. I've attached the winuae config that we came up with. This is what I used when I got the out of memory error screen.

Quote:
I'd be interested to know what the 'avail' utility shows with one of those TF330 cards installed. As far as I know, the Amiga OS should prioritise loading into FastRAM over chip ram if it available so if the TF330 has Fastram then it should use it, the game needs about 1.65mb of chip ram to run if the game is loaded into fast ram.
This is with 1 hard drive + CD attached, booted from Rygar disc, without startup-sequence:

upload images

Quote:
Nice that you got it working on a stock CD32, I'll look into the graphics glitches but the slow downs you mention are about right on a stock A1200, Having fast ram installed drastically increases speed.
Great thing it can use fast ram!
Attached Files
File Type: uae TF330.uae (14.3 KB, 246 views)
Old 19 October 2019, 17:51   #18
wairnair

I had some other glitches happening that I think are worth mentioning. Again, never seen anything like this with WHDLoad + fast ram.
  • Jumping failed once, Rygar stayed on the ground in jumping position (leg up), character animation stopped. I could still "walk" left and right, in this static pose.
  • Occassionally I couldn't hit bonus items, they were just there like background
  • Game halted once on a black screen after round 6 interlude. Music went on. Edit: I wrote "once", but I really got to this only once as round 6 is damn hard for me
  • Got this garbled screen once, game went on normally though:

Old 19 October 2019, 18:07   #19
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wairnair View Post
I had some other glitches happening that I think are worth mentioning. Again, never seen anything like this with WHDLoad + fast ram.
  • Jumping failed once, Rygar stayed on the ground in jumping position (leg up), character animation stopped. I could still "walk" left and right, in this static pose.
  • Occassionally I couldn't hit bonus items, they were just there like background
  • Game halted once on a black screen after round 6 interlude. Music went on. Edit: I wrote "once", but I really got to this only once as round 6 is damn hard for me
  • Got this garbled screen once, game went on normally though:

Just to be clear this is on the CD32 version right?
Really odd... I probably need to tighten things up but I'm kinda still at a loss as to why the game is not loading with all the ram on a CD32.

I would really need to know how to build an ISO file to sort it, and at the moment I don't know how to do it....testing for me therefore takes a long time and would need to involve someone else.

Just so some might shed a light on the problem...

I've pretty much just used the AmigaDos OPEN,READ,CLOSE functions, Also instead of the game clearing all interrupts at the init I am enabling PORTS/Bit 3 so that files can be read from the hard drive/cdfs, the question is... is this correct?
Old 19 October 2019, 18:22   #20
wairnair

Quote:
Just to be clear this is on the CD32 version right?
yes, stock CD32 running Amigajay's iso

Quote:
Really odd... I probably need to tighten things up but I'm kinda still at a loss as to why the game is not loading with all the ram on a CD32.

I would really need to know how to build an ISO file to sort it, and at the moment I don't know how to do it....testing for me therefore takes a long time and would need to involve someone else.
One tool I know about is ISOCD that can be used to create CD32 bootable iso's. It was released in a CD32 dev kit back then, I extracted ISOCD from it, you can find it attached. You have to use the CDTV trademark file to get it working, otherwise defaults are OK afaik. Very easy to use:
1. select the source directory
2. click "Examine"
3. Under options you can give your CD a name (optional I guess)
4. Select a path for your resulting Image
5. click build.. that's it (or if anyone knows more about this, please comment)

Quote:
I've pretty much just used the AmigaDos OPEN,READ,CLOSE functions, Also instead of the game clearing all interrupts at the init I am enabling PORTS/Bit 3 so that files can be read from the hard drive/cdfs, the question is... is this correct?
Wish I could help you with that..
Attached Files
File Type: zip ISOCD.zip (51.4 KB, 247 views)