English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 04 November 2017, 14:28   #21
DamienD
Banned

Ok, had some spare time today so though I'd provide some "mock-up" images. Sorry for the dodgy quality and image size...

So; WinUAE would have three different states:

1) "Original" (as is):

2) Added "Title / Screenshot" snap-on panel:

3) Added "Title / Screenshot" & "Boxart" snap-on panel:

In the "Miscellaneous" section you could add tick boxes for:

... Show "Title / Screenshot" panel.
... Show "Boxart" panel.

As you scroll through your configs obviously the images would change

For the image files, these could be stored in your WinUAE <gamedir> directories. I'll use my current setup as an example:

C:\WinUAE\Games\Aaargh!
C:\WinUAE\Games\Odyssey

So in these:

... You would have a Title file named "_Title.png".
... You would have a Screenshot file named "_SShot.png".
... You would have a Boxart file named "_Boxart".

WinUAE would have to read the config for these to get the path:

a) floppy0=.\Games\Odyssey\Odyssey (1995)(Audiogenic)(Disk 1 of 2)[cr Flashtro].adf

If the above is empty then read:

b) hardfile2=rw,DH0:.\Games\Capital Punishment AGA\Capital Punishment AGA.hdf,32,1,2,512,0,,uae

Note: the above b) is used when I only have a .HDF and no .ADF / .IPF...

If WinUAE then sees "_Title.png" & "_SShot.png" & "_Boxart.png" in these directories they are are displayed in the relevant panels.

Thoughts?

@Toni; I realise it's a bit of effort but if you could you implement something along these lines you know that I'll be sending a large donation your way

Last edited by DamienD; 04 November 2017 at 16:25.
Old 04 November 2017, 14:41   #22
DH
Global Moderator

This certainly looks interesting IMO

One thing I would definitely implement would be to able to resize the individual screenshot panels and boxart panels, or even have them floating with the same ability, only snapping to the edge of WinUAE if you want.
Old 04 November 2017, 18:00   #23
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

GUI looks fine (I planned something similar), still not sure if I want to have multiple images visible at the same time or only one image that can be switched with key/button.

Configuration side isn't clear enough yet:

- not everyone have game specific directories, this needs to be more generic, at least it must be possible to have unique image names. (for example "<game disk image in df0: with extension stripped>_title.png"). Any others?
- support for extra misc images (<something>_1.png, <something>_2.png).
- separate image path config entry, if it exists, floppy/hd/cd image autodetection is not done. (for example to support config that only has directory harddrive and you don't want images visible on Amiga side HD)
- to reduce detection time, one image name must be chosen that is used for autodetection. Only if it exists, check for other possible image names, if it does not: assume no images. Which image? _title?
- autodetection "spec" must be clear: config entry, first floppy (only first floppy), first HD (only first HD), first CD (only first CD). Detection stops immediately when "detection" (above) image file is found.
Old 04 November 2017, 21:11   #24
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
GUI looks fine (I planned something similar), still not sure if I want to have multiple images visible at the same time or only one image that can be switched with key/button.
In my opinion, definitely think it's best to have multiple images (like in the mock-ups).

I usually scroll through my configs using <up arrow> / <down arrow> when deciding what game to play.

I can't imagine only having one image displayed; then when scrolling through the list having to press an additional key / button to toggle through images. This wouldn't flow very well...

Last edited by DamienD; 04 November 2017 at 21:31.
Old 04 November 2017, 21:33   #25
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It is not going to be designed just for you
Old 04 November 2017, 21:40   #26
DamienD
Banned

Yeah I know that my friend

...don't really see anyone else giving you ideas on different layout / logical implementation though.

I've definitely been putting thought in; as this is something I've wanted for years now and I've used many other emulators / front-ends.
Old 04 November 2017, 23:14   #27
ransom1122

I think DamienD's example is yet another fine way of viewing images within winuae. Away from that I think the images should all be symetrical with the winuae gui like in image 2. I still do think we need at least boxcover / title screen and at least 2 screenshots that is at least 4 images. Personally i recommend 3 ingame screenshots bringing the total to 5 images for each game.

I dont understand the technical aspects of how it could be implemented.. Thats where Toni steps in...

As for wether people want the option of images or not can it be possible to enable or disable the option of images like for example enabling and disabling led drive lights display..

I am also hoping we could just download images off some database from either openretro or hol. An automatic process with a click of a download button would be great anything done manually will be tiresome.
Old 04 November 2017, 23:26   #28
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post
I still do think we need at least boxcover / title screen and at least 2 screenshots that is at least 4 images. Personally i recommend 3 ingame screenshots bringing the total to 5 images for each game.
How you gonna fit all that in? The screenshots would need to be sooooo small and would then be totally useless...

"WinUAE" + "Title / SShots" + "Boxart" panels were just fitting on a widescreen 1366 x 768 laptop resolution.

Keep it simple I think; otherwise just use Gamebase Amiga or FS-USE with it's fancy view...

Anyway, let's see your mock-up pictures then as proof of concept
Old 04 November 2017, 23:27   #29
ransom1122

I'm mobile at the moment cant mock up anything.

As for fitting it all in. Larger boxcover to the right.
Titlscreen and ingame screenshots underneath?

Or keeping it simple your mock image 2 looks good.. screenshots dont have to be big.

Im sure there's many ways to make it look decent.
Old 04 November 2017, 23:37   #30
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Or keeping it simple your mock image 2 looks good.. screenshots dont have to be big.
...I thought my mock-ups / suggestions were simple?

For me currently, when scrolling through my list of configs, it can sometimes be hard to remember exactly what the game is like; this happens when you have over 2250 added...

All you need to jog your memory IMHO is one title & one screenshot, boom!!!

...if I want to view many images then I visit HOL
Old 04 November 2017, 23:42   #31
ransom1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
...I thought my mock-ups / suggestions were simple?

For me currently, when scrolling through my list of configs, it can sometimes be hard to remember exactly what the game is like... All you need to jog your memory IMHO is a title & screenshot

...if I want to view many images then I visit HOL
Yes your mockup image #2 does look simple

The whole point of this exercise is because its hard to remember what a game is from just the name. As for simple or a detailed image addon. It depends on how Toni can implement such change?

Maybe having the option of Basic / Medium / Full might fix the argument of wether people want a more simple look or more of an advanced look might work.
Old 04 November 2017, 23:48   #32
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Maybe having the option of Basic / Medium / Full might fix the argument of wether people want a more simple look or more of an advanced look might work.
Well, that's not really keeping it simple now then is it? So you want Toni to also implement 3 different options

...and you are yet to provide mock-ups or how this could possibly be implemented.

Anyway; enough from me on the subject... I've given my opinion and obviously others are free to do the same.

At the end of the day Toni is the person that will be saying "possible" / "not possible" and will have to do all the hard work.
Old 05 November 2017, 00:36   #33
DH
Global Moderator

A simple solution and workaround is far more practical given the work involved than something too complicated.

Remember, it's easy for us to make suggestions than it is to make them reality. Let Toni decide the path, after all, he's the one who can give us the outcome

Last edited by DH; 10 December 2017 at 20:02.
Old 05 November 2017, 00:59   #34
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DH View Post
A simple solution and workaround is far more practical given the work involved than something too complicated.
Exactly!!!

...if you want a full-blown / front-end experience with all the "bells and whistles" then again, why are you not you using "GameBase Amiga" (which uses WinUAE) or "FS-UAE" instead?

This thread isn't about that; it's about adding some simple Title / Screenshot (and if you will, Boxart) to help you identify / remember games when scrolling through your configuration list.

@ransom1122; you started this thread, let's revisit your first "simple" screenshot in post #1...
Old 05 November 2017, 09:43   #35
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Look may be simple but don't even think about some kind of automatic image repositioning, scaling etc system. It will be single image only if no one can agree for single layout! (This most likely also need metadata file, see below)

Also I am not anymore sure if under the hood logic should be that simple. It is nearly guaranteed someone asks for more images, descriptions, perhaps even links etc..

So it probably is best to have 2 modes, basic mode (3 images, 100% nothing else) and metadata (xml/ini/whatever) file mode that may come later, much later.

If you want images visible without loading config (single clicking/cursor/up down config list), image path needs to be stored in configuration cache file. Extra option in paths panel, cache image data. It must not be default because it would slow down normal mode caching operation. Selecting (without loading) config file must not do any extra file operations.

There are lots of technical details to guarantee "normal mode" won't become annoying to use.

EDIT: Or perhaps there is already generic boxart layout system that can be bolted to winuae easily? It would be most optimal because it would be completely separate, it does not need to know anything about UAE, just single file path.

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 05 November 2017 at 09:49.
Old 06 November 2017, 14:51   #36
ceztko

Quote:
It will be single image[...]
Also single image layout with automatic cycling of multiple images could be considered.
Old 06 November 2017, 15:33   #37
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
It will be single image only if no one can agree for single layout! (This most likely also need metadata file, see below)
Do you think we should make a poll Toni or?
Old 06 November 2017, 20:26   #38
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

No. It isn't mutually exclusive. I only want exact layout, only image size change (with aspect kept) is allowed. Everything else should not change. This is the important part which I don't want to do: dynamic layout!

For example all images are always in single row (top to bottom). May become two rows if window is wide enough.

Then for example window click can change between "all images" and single image modes.
Old 06 November 2017, 20:43   #39
BippyM
Global Moderator

My thoughts here are simple as..

Gamename.adf
Gamename_Screenshot1.png
Gamename_Screenshot2.png
Gamename_boxart.png

Etc...
Old 06 November 2017, 20:47   #40
DamienD
Banned

All good Toni; I've given my mock-ups / possible implementation suggestions / thoughts

You do whatever it is that you think is best at the end of the day, over and out from me on the subject