English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 02 July 2001, 08:07   #1
Tim Janssen

Unhappy For 9 years stuck in Leander

I really hope someone can help me with this problem. Last weekend I have played Psygnosis' Leander again after a long time. The problem with this game is that I cannot get past level 4 in the first world.

The purpose of this level is to retrieve a silver bow in the caves in the east and travel to the portal in the west.
When I enter the cave, I jump to several platforms, retrieve the bow and.. cannot get back! The problem is you have to jump your way up to the top. At the bottom there are three moving platforms (1 diagonally, 1 vertically and 1 horizontally). Jumping on them will get you to a very high rock. On the right of it you see a platform you cannot stand on but which is necessary to get out of the cave.
I have tried everything to get past that platform but it all failed. Please can anyone help? Many thanks in advance..
Old 03 July 2001, 14:37   #2
Unregistered

My God! Someone else who is stuck on this game! In the very same spot, too!

Leander is a beautiful platformer, and I have always lamented the fact that I never was able to complete it.

If ANYONE can help us, it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05 July 2001, 09:13   #3
ptrchiappe

Send a message via AIM to ptrchiappe
Where's the problem ?

Well, I tried the game on my a1200 and after having entered the cave in the world 1_4 and taken the teleport key in the box, i found no problem to exit the cave.

All you have to do is take the diagonally moving platform to the top, then jump on the platforms until you reach the one which has a spike coming out from the ground.

From there you have to jump left to the platform attached to a chain and then to the one which is close.

Walk left and just go down and you'll reach the exit of the cave.

I've taken some screenshots in WinUAE of the way back and i can send them to you if my explanations are not clear enough, just let me know.
Old 05 July 2001, 09:34   #4
Tim Janssen

Question Odd..

Hi Ptrchiappe,
I am puzzled. You wrote:
Quote:
(...) then jump on the platforms until you reach the one which has a spike coming out from the ground.
Problem is that one of the two platforms nearby the spiked-platform does not have a solid underground. I can only stand on the lower platform.

Please can you provide some screenshots of that part of the cave? More and more I get the suspicion I have some unfinished version of Leander for my Amiga. I got this crack back in December 1991 when the game wasn't even officially released.
Many thanks in advance.
Old 05 July 2001, 11:20   #5
ptrchiappe

I have taken 9 screenshots of the path inside the cave, after you use the diagonal moving platform, and zipped.

If they don't appear here, I'll send it to you by email.
Old 05 July 2001, 15:35   #6
Tim Janssen

Eek Something is VERY wrong with my version of Leander

Ptrchiappe,
Many thanks for the pictures you have mailed me. To my horror I have discovered that the third screen (Leander3.jpg) is different in my version! The platform which the soldier jumps on does not exist in my version of Leander! No wonder I have not completed this level the past nine years.
I am very shocked by this fact. This means I have a beta version of Leander in my possesion which may also explain why I cannot use the levelcodes and other different cheats. Aaargh!

Edit: Oi, It seems I could not attach Leander3.jpg to this message. Download the zip-file to see the image.

Last edited by Tim Janssen; 05 July 2001 at 16:34.
Old 05 July 2001, 15:54   #7
ptrchiappe

Now this explains why it has been so easy for me to exit the cave .

Tim, what i have is a 2.265KB HD installed version of Leander (lzx file), which has all the files already put in the correct place (that is no adfs).

If you want i can send it to you by mail, but you can only play on a real amiga (or at least i didn't succeed to make the collisions work on WinUAE - i didn't try very much anyway).

Let me know.

P.S. my monitor is malfunctioning because i didn't see your attachment :laugh
Old 05 July 2001, 16:51   #8
Tim Janssen

Cool Thanks for your offer, but..

Hi Ptrchiappe,
Thanks for your offer, but at the moment my PC is broken and I cannot bother converting files to my original Miggy. In the near future I will download Leander for an Amiga emulator on a new PC.

I always knew there was something wrong with my version of this game. Now I have the proof I can rest again.
This weekend when I am at my parents' home I will play the notorious crack of Leander on my Amiga. I am curious who cracked this version.

By the way, there is nothing wrong with your monitor. I also tried to attach an image from my C-directory to that message but it was not displayed.
Old 06 July 2001, 08:09   #9
ptrchiappe

I was beginning to suspect this (you can only attach ONE file with one new post), so now i'll try it and see.

I probably misread the instructions and thought that there was no limitation apart from the size.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leander1.jpg
Views:	1629
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	251  
Old 09 July 2001, 08:26   #10
Tim Janssen

Question How do I use the rune bomb?

For your information, I have checked my notorious version of Leander. It is a crack by Skid Row in 1991. The cracktro shows only a blue border with their name written in it.

This weekend I have played the game again and I am still stuck in Level 4's cave. However, I have noticed I have some "Rune Bombs" in my possesion. How do I use them? I have tried all keys on my keyboard.
Old 05 September 2001, 23:13   #11
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

Phew, this thread is quite old, but anyway, just for info here is what I have heard:

Skid Row didn't actually crack this game, but it was given to a member of Skid Row by the programmers/company themselves.
What Skid Row didn't know was that the game had this intentional bug, which acts like a copyprotection which isn't easy to detect.
Skid Row didn't notice that, put their name before, and released the game.

If you want a fully working Leander you either have to get a HD installed version or get the 4 disk Company crack.
Old 07 September 2001, 08:45   #12
ptrchiappe

Re: How do I use the rune bomb?

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Janssen
I have noticed I have some "Rune Bombs" in my possesion. How do I use them? I have tried all keys on my keyboard.
If i remember well to use the bombs you have to crouch, press fire and keep it pressed until the arrow you see in the lower part of the screen reaches the end. At that point leave the fire button and the bomb will explode.

I also believe that the original came on three disks, because on the documentation of my HD install there's a mention to "all three original disks".
Old 07 September 2001, 09:46   #13
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

Cracks are often longer than originals.
I think this has something to do with the fact that some originals have tracks with more sectors as usual or use tracks 80 and 81 or have the code compressed, which has to be uncompressed to remove e.g. a password protection.
Cracks are also done in a format that can be easily read by copyprograms, so the code on these overlenght tracks and tracks above 79 is put on another disk.
Old 07 September 2001, 10:59   #14
Tim Janssen

Arrow Self-destruct mode

Ptrchiappe,
I already knew that trick with the pressed firebutton. I always called it the ‘self-destruct mode’. The hero heats up until he explodes and kills all other enemies on the screen. After this action you have lost a life and no rune bombs are used.

This game really causes me a headache..
Old 07 September 2001, 19:56   #15
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

@Tim:

Get the instructions for Leander from LSD doc Disk 25.
I think the runebombs are just for some ghost which appears from time to time in higher levels. I think runebombs are then used automatically and you won't loose a life.

@Akira:

If your Leander is an original then I think it's ok, because the original only has 3 Disks.
But if you have the Skid Row crack, or trainers of it ( Goonies, Zenith, maybe others as well ), then it will have the bug.

Better download the company crack as I know it's ok.
Old 25 September 2001, 14:13   #16
ptrchiappe

I made a comparison a few weeks ago between the HD-installed version i had and the cracked version.

Well i found out that, in this cave, the cracked version has the platform "painted" on the background, that is you can see where it is but you aren't allowed to step on it.

My guess is that if someone takes the time and effort to edit the map (which judging by the list of files in the HD version should be called Level3), that platform could be restored to the original state; now if any of you wish to do it please don't push and kick all together .

Last edited by Fred the Fop; 21 October 2001 at 01:11.
Old 28 September 2001, 08:01   #17
Dalai

runebombs

If I recall correctly, the runebombs are only used against the bosses. I think they're activated by one of they keys on the keyboard (space, alt, shift or something like that), when you use one it fires a projectile that homes in on the boss and does him some damage. Hurrah.
Old 10 December 2005, 22:04   #18
sopia

me stuck too

I figured it was probably a form of copy protection, nice to see that I'm right. You will also note that the level skip cheats do not work in this version so you can't even skip the level.

Old 10 December 2005, 22:46   #19
Ironclaw
Banned

Haven't read any of the posts here except the first one, and I have never completed stage 4 either. Tried it many times, stuck at the same place.

But guess if I read it all I will find the answer, but not eiger to complete it now anyway...
Old 12 December 2005, 22:47   #20
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopia
I figured it was probably a form of copy protection, nice to see that I'm right. You will also note that the level skip cheats do not work in this version so you can't even skip the level.
Not likely to be an intricate copy protection: When I created the JST install for Leander (later converted to WHDload) I removed some disk access irrelevant with the loading routine, but did not notice it was a copy protection!! And you're telling me the game works fine, so I don't think there are any code checksums like in Lemmings.
Could be a bug in the cracks (happens all the time)... But could be that I'm (I was, since install was released in 1997) so good I bypassed a very complex protection without even noticing