English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 14 November 2023, 16:08   #1
Korban

Improving Forgotten Worlds Controls?

This is probably a pipe dream, but for years Ive wanted a version of Amiga Forgotten Worlds where you can rotate the player independently of firing.
Ideally, and if memory serves correctly its how the MegaDrive version is done, where 2 buttons control rotation of clockwise and anti clockwise, with another button for firing.

I'm a big fan of the game and the Amiga version is potentially really good, but its darn controls really cripple the gameplay.
For those not familiar the player can shoot in 16 directions, but on the Amiga the rotation of those directions is done by holding down the fire button and moving the joystick left or right. This means you can't move backwards or forwards while also firing in the direction you like/need, which in a side scrolling shooter is somewhat necessary

If anyone feels inclined they'd make my day if they could add such a feature with a whdload slave?

I cant pretend to even really know how theyre (slaves) created, or what can be easily achieved with them, but I thought it couldnt hurt to put the idea out there.

Thanks in advance.
Old 14 November 2023, 17:46   #2
AestheticDebris

FWIW, I've seen various fixes for this on other platforms where one fire button is common and the one that works best is to just to have the player auto-fire regardless and then leave the other controls alone. That way you can rotate by pressing fire or move normally and remain shooting in both cases.

How easy that would be to hack into the Amiga version is another question.
Old 15 November 2023, 10:00   #3
kremiso

the slave is quite old
maybe the one disk crack could be added too now

im doing some tries with the latest 18.9 whdload and seems there is a player dead bug if running the game with less than 2MB;

the player dies as soon the game begins lol
Old 15 November 2023, 11:47   #4
Korban

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremiso View Post
the slave is quite old
maybe the one disk crack could be added too now

im doing some tries with the latest 18.9 whdload and seems there is a player dead bug if running the game with less than 2MB;

the player dies as soon the game begins lol
Ah, I remember that bug being present in some cracked floppy versions too.
Its a vague memory, but I remember it happening and trying to work out why it only occurred after upgrading my Amiga ("upgrading" back then meant 1084s monitor and extra floppy) when Forgotten Worlds was new.
Im pretty sure it only happened when an extra floppy was connected, but its all very vague in my memory.
Old 15 November 2023, 13:37   #5
kremiso

interesting, maybe worth a check from the team;
im testing using the Retroplay updated set, which uses the original images disks

def the slave needs an update

doing other tries with other configs than A1200, and it seems impossible to reach to start the game ie with A500+ and A600 configs, whatever RAM amount; the loading stops before the first level here

EDIT reported on Mantis
my first report there

Last edited by kremiso; 16 November 2023 at 18:37.