English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 11 January 2004, 01:46   #1
hamster
Zone Friend

Does a working version of The Sentinel ?

I loved this on the C64. The Amiga boasted about an overview look down on the landscape. I found the game on a compilation but it freezes loading halfway (the compilation is:

Elf & Sentinel & Computer Scrabble.... but no luck as I have tried kick1.2 ->3.1 with basic memory and chipset settings etc. A bare A500 really. Using the latest version of winuae0.8.23. Has one come across a working copy? I have always wondered if the Amiga version differed much from the c64 version of the Sentinel... Is there another version around or on an .adf by itself. It's very hard tofind this particular game.
Old 11 January 2004, 02:06   #2
hamster
Zone Friend

Finally found this! I got it from Amiga Emulation Nation It has been hard finding this cookie! Thanks to the Moderator who provided this link!
Old 11 January 2004, 23:02   #3
Drake1009

If you have a PSX or a PC with a Voodoo 3dfx card in it you might want to take a look after the game "Sentinel returns". It'll run on a non 3dfx PC as well but it gets so damn ugly because all the smoothness of the textures have been replaced by large blocks (we're talking larger than doom pixels here)
Old 17 January 2004, 00:58   #4
hamster
Zone Friend

Yes, I remember Sentinel Returns on the PC in 1998. I played it briefly. Amazingly, I think the speed increase killed the game. The Sentinel and his Sentries lost their mystery and awe. Personally I think the C64 version was the best (v.slow but very rewarding)... the Amiga is probably better these days as it looks exactly the same with the extra speed while keeping the looks as close as possible....
Old 17 January 2004, 02:32   #5
FromWithin
Music lord

Me and Tim Wright went through a period of trying to get licences to convert loads of C64/Amiga stuff to the Playstation. The Sentinel was indeed one of these. We phoned Geoff Crammond who told us that someone was already doing a Sentinel remake. Lo and behold, a couple of months later, those same developers came to Psygnosis to publish it. Unfortunately, me and Tim had loads of completely brilliant ideas for it with network play and so forth, but we had no say in the matter seeing as it was being developed by someone else.
Old 17 January 2004, 03:55   #6
SabreGolly

Sentinel Returns (PS) was an abomination. It just shows it is money and not talent which gets you these licences. This game holds the record for my fastest trade in ever - 18 hours. Almost beaten by PS Populous - another severely bad idea.

Still have a soft spot for the Spectrum version - the crackly attempts at the music, and the two colour graphics actually made it more atmospheric!

Played that for a whole 4 hour train journey on a spectrum emulator for my GBA - the joys!
Old 17 January 2004, 10:29   #7
Drake1009

I quite liked the PSX/PC version of sentinel returns. Well at least I recall doing so. Very late at night starting up the game and you'd be drawn completely in because the game was in essence practically a no brainer. So you could just space out with the game and still actually make headway. Quite liked the music as well. The graphics might not've had any atmosphere but they sure managed to get the game to look surreal and thus easier to space out to.
Old 17 January 2004, 11:21   #8
SabreGolly

I have to admit to not remembering many details - as I had the game such a short time - and they still give me GBQuid10 less for it when I traded it in!

I just remember severe disappointment