English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 23 July 2021, 20:09   #1
ZEUSDAZ

You like Chuckie Egg?!, well you're gonna love this then.

It's Friday again!, gosh the weeks go fast but it ain't all bad cuz that means It's another "Shit Game Time" video review

Now It's fair to say Chuckie Egg on the 8-bits especially the original ZX Spectrum version was just pure class, fast, frantic and so playable, this however (Short's Fuse) is anything but, talk about a poor man's Chuckie Egg,...this is it! ? ?

Another game rightfully placed into the vault of shitness, requested by youtuber "Zon Zeeos", I hope you enjoy it and your thoughts in the comments are always welcome, what do you think of this if you were a Chuckie Egg fan?

[ Show youtube player ]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shorts-fuse.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	72625  
Old 24 July 2021, 19:20   #2
Havie

Painful!
Old 24 July 2021, 20:05   #3
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Chuckle Egg on the BBC Model B was awesome, used to play that to death, really fast gameplay
Old 24 July 2021, 20:45   #4
Foebane
Banned

I played Chuckie Egg a lot on the Atari 8-Bit, the brown colours and pseudo-3D look really helped to convey the sense of a working farm's hen house, I don't think any other version had that feel to it.

This Short's Fuse, however, surprises me and baffles me for one thing each: I like the stylised giant version of the player's avatar on the "U.X.B" screen, but I wonder about the Camptown Races music used like that. I notice that a lot of these old games used tunes like this, and I cannot imagine why, unless an old person was passing by when the child was playing the game so they could hum along to it. Wasn't there valid copyright on these old tunes in the past? Or had it expired?

Last edited by Foebane; 24 July 2021 at 20:59.
Old 24 July 2021, 22:34   #5
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Chuckle Egg on the BBC Model B was awesome, used to play that to death, really fast gameplay

Agreed it was great. It also didn't seem to have an end as the levels just looped but you got more of the big caged birds freed to chase you.
Old 25 July 2021, 01:12   #6
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
Agreed it was great. It also didn't seem to have an end as the levels just looped but you got more of the big caged birds freed to chase you.
I think that was their mother.
Old 25 July 2021, 01:16   #7
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
I wonder about the Camptown Races music used like that. I notice that a lot of these old games used tunes like this, and I cannot imagine why, unless an old person was passing by when the child was playing the game so they could hum along to it. Wasn't there valid copyright on these old tunes in the past? Or had it expired?
These games were usually a one or two man affair, and usually they were coders first, graphic artists second and very rarely musicians at all. Classical tunes like this had scores you could easily find in library books or other sources and often lent themselves well to beeper music as they had recognisable melodies.

This instance of Camptown Races appeared in a number of games; it's identical to the BASIC version in Derby Day for example.
Old 25 July 2021, 01:37   #8
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
First set of levels was the birdmen, then next set of repeating levels was just the duck in the cage chasing you (crazy duck?), then the next set of repeating levels was the duck and the birdmen.

I only ever got as far as 3rd set of levels, just too much lol
Old 25 July 2021, 12:46   #9
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
First set of levels was the birdmen, then next set of repeating levels was just the duck in the cage chasing you (crazy duck?), then the next set of repeating levels was the duck and the birdmen.

I only ever got as far as 3rd set of levels, just too much lol
Yeah, I got about that far on the A8 as well. The thing I hate most about the game is those elevating platforms, sometimes you have to time the jumps just right to land on them, as Zeusdaz discovered in that shitty bomb game.