English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 01 July 2019, 02:27   #1
AC/DC HACKER!

XP8 AGA Hellfire Plus HF Trainer

Hello all,

A few days ago I decided to check my copy of XP8 AGA and noticed crashing problems after using Hellfire's trainer when the game started to play (after menu). I prefer the HF trainer because of the Level Skip that Insane doesn't have but it's a good one as well. I noticed with my real Amiga 4000 CSPPC/Zer060 the game would crash when play started. I found a way around it.. Which led to another "Hmm!!" Some files being crunch made the process a LITTLE better and didn't cause memory problems as it did when crunched.

I reworked the files placement some, uncrunched, and it's better. It functions great with WinUAE's A1200 (original crunch)/A4000 CSPPC uncrunched, but crashes only A4000 when crunched. So, it plays that way also from floppies unlike my actual hardware (original crunching). Ha. Unless I boot from HD, use SetPatch and then execute the DF0: (or whatever drive it's in) Startup-Sequence. Then it plays fine on A4000 hardware (uncrunched).

What I'm curious about is, I also modified the Installer script..and made improvements to work better with Picaso96 and CyberGraphiX 4 playing from installed (plain AGA also)...no more loss of mouse when returning to Workbench or freezing on the trainer..Notes included for user. Is there enough interest for to be attached here or uploaded to The Zone?

I've done a few of my own little modifications/fixes through years for some stuff.

My Hellfire copy was also missing files from Disk 3...that's been taken care of. Can be completed. Other than some bugs with trainer(?), I haven't noticed any cracking problems...though I have read there are some. I haven't gone through the code, and I don't want to. Haha. The people whom are more proficient at that might redo it? My aim was just to get it working, and so far..lots of testing...doing fine.

Shall I share?
Old 22 March 2020, 20:21   #2
macce2
Retro maniac

I have some serious problems with XP8 (Aga version) on my A4000D (060).
All the versions I tried, including the WHDload v, crash freeze early in the 3rd level of the game.
I have tried also the cracked version with trainer (Hellfire?!) , and with that version, it freezes up the screen/machine after a few seconds, when starting level 3.
I'd really like to play XP8 and would appreciate any help.
Maybe the ECS version would also be worth a try (from where to get that ?)..?!
Old 22 March 2020, 20:24   #3
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC HACKER! View Post
I haven't noticed any cracking problems...though I have read there are some.

There were quite a few XP8 releases that weren't properly cracked as the checksum checks were not disabled.
Old 22 March 2020, 20:30   #4
macce2
Retro maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
There were quite a few XP8 releases that weren't properly cracked as the checksum checks were not disabled.

I do assume those versions were not used on the WHDload version(s), of course ?

Anyway, maybe the WHDload version(s) should be reworked somehow.

Any 060 users there that have tried the game; please, do share your experiences !

Last edited by macce2; 22 March 2020 at 20:34. Reason: ( so I assumed that my problem MAY have something to do with the processor ?)
Old 23 March 2020, 13:51   #5
kriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC HACKER! View Post
Hello all,

Shall I share?
Is a old post, but please share it ..
Old 23 March 2020, 20:21   #6
macce2
Retro maniac

@kriz

I agree, it would be nice to try another version of the game!

@All

Please, do share also your experiences with the WHDload version of the game (XP8 ),
especially you with a 060 on real Amiga..
Old 23 March 2020, 21:18   #7
daxb

The game needs a trainer. Too hard for me.
Old 24 March 2020, 22:24   #8
macce2
Retro maniac

Ok, the ECS floppy version (with trainer, HF crack ) does seem to work ok (so far).
Level 3 worked ok and currently, I am playing level 4.
And that's very interesting, because the level codes seem to be identical with Aga & Ecs versions of the game; I found out that after playing & completing XP8 level 3 with OCS/ECs version (didn't work on Aga v; crashed the game at the very start of the level 3), it seems I'm able to continue the game from level 4 with the Aga (WHDload version).
Level 3 of XP8 seems to be a little "different" graphically (seemingly faster, parallax-like scrollling) , when comparing to levels 1,2, and 4...!?!
So, it came to my mind that this issue with my install of the game may have something to do with the blitter (?!) etc. operations...