English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 21 February 2010, 16:59   #1
maddoc666

AmigaOS 3.5 or 3.9

Hi all, i wasn't too sure where to post this so if i'm in the wrong subforum please forgive me.

Basically i was wondering if it is worthwhile upgrading to AmigaOS 3.5 or 3.9 (good excuse to dig out my miggy ).

I have an A1200 with 030 accelerator with 32mb Ram (Can't remember which make), 4x PCMCIA CD-Rom and a 140Mb HDD (Low, i know but that may change shortly).

Just wanting to know if it's worthwhile buying either OS for my miggy or if it's a waste of time on my specs. My old install of 3.1 is looking and feeling very dated and kinda depressing.

Old 21 February 2010, 17:15   #2
Fabie
Banned

some ppl can tell you that is an obsolete upgrade and some ppl can say yes:upgrade now

In my case I prefer the upgrade because the new icon system is very good ...some programs or games comes only with os3.5 icons style...so if you have 3.1 or lower you can't see that icons

there other improvements like the new picture datatype and the suit for internet....also there are tons of bugfixes and OS3.9 is a bit more stable than 3.1...
also a better Workbench look in general and new options in WB menus
Old 21 February 2010, 17:22   #3
maddoc666

So it looks like 3.9 is the better of the two then. Although, i'm not too worried about the internet side of things, no network card for my miggy.

Do you think 3.9 will run ok on my setup.

Also what's the deal with these boing updates for it and how do you go about getting them.

Sorry if i seem like a noob, it has been a long while since i did anything with an Amiga, Give me a laptop to strip down, repair, rebuild - no probs, ask me to edit the startup-sequence for Workbench - eh, forgotten

Old 21 February 2010, 17:30   #4
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

You can get BB1 and BB2 from here http://amiga.serveftp.net/downloads.html

If you are serious about OS3.9 then you should also install the updates that fix a few bugs

Dave G
Old 21 February 2010, 17:41   #5
Fabie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc666 View Post
So it looks like 3.9 is the better of the two then. Although, i'm not too worried about the internet side of things, no network card for my miggy.

Do you think 3.9 will run ok on my setup.

Also what's the deal with these boing updates for it and how do you go about getting them.

yes os3.9 will work on your A1200
The BB updates are bigfixes and improvements....you must install them in the correct order
Old 21 February 2010, 17:43   #6
maddoc666

Ok, looking like OS 3.9 is the beastie for me. Need a good excuse to give the missus 4 buying it now

Anything else you recommend getting, u know, program wise, to make it a little bit better

Old 21 February 2010, 18:18   #7
Fabie
Banned

Quote:
Ok, looking like OS 3.9 is the beastie for me. Need a good excuse to give the missus 4 buying it now

Anything else you recommend getting, u know, program wise, to make it a little bit better
recommendations about programs? that's a really difficult question...there are millions programs there...I don't know what are you looking for..
if you are bored with the look of your workbench you can start with VisualPrefs and MagicWB

and remember that OS3.9 will enhance the look of your Workbench...but don't think that is something like as winVista or Win7
Old 21 February 2010, 19:35   #8
asm1

Look into Classic workbench (Right here on these forums) it is an Improved and customised Workbench environment with a collecton of many very useful and not to mention free utils/apps. There is a version for OS 3.9 available.

WHDLOAD is pretty essential - its a great app which allows you to play hard disk installed Games on your Amiga - People patch geames so that they don't require floppies!. A key for it is probably the best £15 you can spend

Otherwise its up to you, but those two are a great start

Andrew
Old 21 February 2010, 19:41   #9
gulliver
BoingBagged

Remember there is also an unofficial BoingBag3 http://lilliput.host-cafe.com/bbag3isdone.htm
And there is a work in progress unofficial BoingBag4 http://lilliput.host-cafe.com/bbag4.htm

Old 21 February 2010, 19:47   #10
maddoc666

I'm sure i've used the classic workbench before. There was a Lite & Advanced version if it's the one i'm thinking of. Ran pretty good in WinUAE.

I know it's not gonna have all the bells 'n' whistles that Vista/7 has looks wise but even a little bit of eye candy would be better than what i currently have, so thanks for the recommendations.

Defo gonna have a look into the WHDLOAD at a later date after i upgrade the HDD. Can't be doing all that crazy disk swapping (Curse of Enchantia... that gave me repetitive strain injury).

Again, many thanks for the help guys. Apreciated.

Old 21 February 2010, 19:48   #11
asm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
Remember there is also an unofficial BoingBag3 http://lilliput.host-cafe.com/bbag3isdone.htm
And there is a work in progress unofficial BoingBag4 http://lilliput.host-cafe.com/bbag4.htm

hehe - although if you are instaling Classic workbench do that before BB3
Old 21 February 2010, 23:54   #12
NovaCoder

Quote:
Hi all, i wasn't too sure where to post this so if i'm in the wrong subforum please forgive me.

Basically i was wondering if it is worthwhile upgrading to AmigaOS 3.5 or 3.9 (good excuse to dig out my miggy ).

I have an A1200 with 030 accelerator with 32mb Ram (Can't remember which make), 4x PCMCIA CD-Rom and a 140Mb HDD (Low, i know but that may change shortly).
Yep grab yourself 3.9 and upgrade your HD to a 4GB solid state HD (CF or similar). You should also consider getting an IndivisionAGA so you can hook it up to a decent monitor and run WB in 1024x768.
Old 22 February 2010, 08:02   #13
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Yes, it's definitely worth upgrading to 3.9 (+BB3). There's a lot of improvements and a lot of software which requires it.