English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 11 January 2020, 06:53   #101
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Playtested all 3 games from the Batman pack on the metal.

Batman - [ Show youtube player ]

New Zealand Story - [ Show youtube player ]

F/A 18 Interceptor - [ Show youtube player ]
Old 21 January 2020, 04:46   #102
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Testing ORIGINAL Games on my A500.
00:00 Introduction (duh)
00:54 Cover disks
01:44 Tenstar Games Pack
03:18 Batman pack games (The drive is fine)
03:27 Alien Breed Special Edition
07:15 Star Wars
09:41 Empire Strikes Back
12:39 Return of the Jedi
13:52 Captive
15:36 Shadow of the Beast II
20:20 F19 Stealth Fighter
27:08 Lotus Turbo Esprit Challenge
29:00 Summary of results and thoughts.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 21 January 2020, 09:08   #103
Gardhul

Quote:
Originally Posted by 005AGIMA View Post
Testing ORIGINAL Games on my A500.
00:00 Introduction (duh)
00:54 Cover disks
01:44 Tenstar Games Pack
03:18 Batman pack games (The drive is fine)
03:27 Alien Breed Special Edition
07:15 Star Wars
09:41 Empire Strikes Back
12:39 Return of the Jedi
13:52 Captive
15:36 Shadow of the Beast II
20:20 F19 Stealth Fighter
27:08 Lotus Turbo Esprit Challenge
29:00 Summary of results and thoughts.

[ Show youtube player ]
So many memories... Thank you!
Old 22 January 2020, 03:59   #104
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardhul View Post
So many memories... Thank you!
No worries.
Old 25 January 2020, 08:32   #105
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

This video forms part of this journey as it's about trying to preserve the original pack in it's original function. However this has ALSO been posted in the support thread in which I gained the advice needed.

Video of the mouse symptoms, fix, and result.

This is in no way a "how to" but hopefully some future user will find some of it helpful.
[ Show youtube player ]

Timecodes:
00:00 Intro/symptoms.
01:38 Troubleshooting - try another mouse.
02:40 Troubleshooting - compressed air clean.
07:19 Troubleshooting - resistors checked / looking at IR Diodes.
09:29 Swapping phototransistors including getting to them by opening the clips.
18:08 Testing and the result
Old 02 February 2020, 06:33   #106
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Played Captive Includes my personal memories of this game as well as some interesting confessions lol. Also at the end, I've included the full title sequence with audio captured in pure Amiga stereo. Fantastic music!
[ Show youtube player ]

Timecodes:
00:00 Intro and personal memories.
04:36 Game loading including intro music and memories.
07:20 Game play.
22:05 Full load and title music sequence. Audio captured directly from the amiga into a Zoom H1 stereo audio recorder, and synced to edit. (HEADPHONES OR GOOD SPEAKERS RECOMMENDED!)
Old 02 February 2020, 08:52   #107
Valken

Love the story and going through your videos. Everything you said about how the PC just doesn't feel right is spot on... I love my current PC but I LOVED my Amiga more than any other machine. Even more than my SNES, Megadrive or Saturn which is saying a lot.
Old 03 February 2020, 01:24   #108
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valken View Post
Love the story and going through your videos. Everything you said about how the PC just doesn't feel right is spot on... I love my current PC but I LOVED my Amiga more than any other machine. Even more than my SNES, Megadrive or Saturn which is saying a lot.
Glad you like it mate

And yes I also owned a SNES once I got into PC and I feel no "need" to re-own one. Maybe a SNES mini might scratch an itch but it's just a console.

Again, I think there are several things at play when forming an attachment and I think one of those is how "hard" it was to actually own an Amiga. How I lusted after one before actually being able to have one.

The same reason I still have my original Star Wars ATAT Walker perhaps. I lusted after that for year after year until one year, Father Christmas had enough money

But also age.....15/16 is a very impressionable age I think.

But lastly, all the consoles where just consoles. They only played games. The Amiga was like a console in that games were written specifically for and to the hardware rather than a range of specs (like PC gaming), and hence they could be trusted to work like a console game, however, it was also a very very capable computer and most of us used that side as well. Whether it was messing around in DPaint, making music in Soundtracker, or just writing up homework or having a stab at Basic...most owners would have dabbled with something creative even if just because they were bored of their games collection that day.

Throw in some retail level creation packages like Shoot-em-up construction kit, and 3D Construction Kit and the Amiga just let us do so much more than a console ever ever could.

Fantastic times
Old 03 February 2020, 20:21   #109
Photon

Aah, <3 to read the nostalgia.
Quote:
New Zealand Story I have to confess, had no draw for me at all.
No worries, still time for a Straya Story sequel!
Old 05 February 2020, 04:20   #110
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Aah, <3 to read the nostalgia.

No worries, still time for a Straya Story sequel!
lol 'Straya

I would make suggestions for such a game but I wouldn't make any friends in the process lol.
Old 09 February 2020, 14:49   #111
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Been playing myself some Lotus Turbo Esprit today With personal memories as always Including the day I rang the publishers to discuss my "Driving Licence"
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 09 March 2020, 09:12   #112
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Episode 50! Channel Rebrand launch

So given I've reached Episode 50, I thought I'd thank some people, and launch a new look and feel to the channel, and also give a heads up on where I want to take things from here.
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 09 March 2020, 17:40   #113
lesta_smsc

Quote:
So given I've reached Episode 50, I thought I'd thank some people, and launch a new look and feel to the channel, and also give a heads up on where I want to take things from here.
[ Show youtube player ]
Great videos! Keep up the good work!

BTW what is the speaker in the background. I remember quite a few of my friends had it and it gave some good bass!
Old 10 March 2020, 11:24   #114
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Great videos! Keep up the good work!

BTW what is the speaker in the background. I remember quite a few of my friends had it and it gave some good bass!

Cheers man. Glad you enjoy the vids.

The speakers are Encore P-401's but I'm pretty sure they were also sold under other brands.

But yes the bass is hell good. Who needs a sub-whoofer? lol.
Old 10 March 2020, 22:55   #115
xubidoo

I also a set of those, looked identical , but they were made under the TRUST branding, think they were also made under a few other names as well.

Unfortunatley mine are long gone, they had a fantastic sound, todays 2.0 speakers are not a patch on them

Old 12 April 2020, 03:43   #116
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xubidoo View Post
I also a set of those, looked identical , but they were made under the TRUST branding, think they were also made under a few other names as well.

Unfortunatley mine are long gone, they had a fantastic sound, todays 2.0 speakers are not a patch on them
Yeah pretty sure they were sold under many names. I spot them in so many retro videos lol.
Old 12 April 2020, 03:45   #117
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Episode 54 - Me tinkering with Soundtracker 2.5 (Same as pro tracker) to re-create a tune I came up with around 30 years ago.
[ Show youtube player ]

And part 2 is my son creating a modern rendition on a PC.
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 12 April 2020, 17:19   #118
lesta_smsc

This is great how your son has joined in on the passion of creating music (be-it modernising this!). Keep up the videos!
Old 13 April 2020, 04:31   #119
xubidoo

Like the Doom VR video, very interesting how swapping control method stopped your motion sickness..
I myself have to started to suffer with it a lot in the last few years, usually playing 1st person shooters, original Doom games and Duke 3D all set me off now ,whereas i was fine a few yrs ago, the recent Resident Evil 2 demo and Spyro remakes also.
Half Life 2 back then made me physically sick with 15 mins of playing, wouldnt even try it nowadays
Old age isnt all is cracked up to be tbh :P

Great video and nice to see something a bit different, dont think id manage VR tho really with my luck

Old 16 April 2020, 12:17   #120
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
This is great how your son has joined in on the passion of creating music (be-it modernising this!). Keep up the videos!
Cheers mate. And yeah he has quite a bit more talent than me as does his twin brother who is an awesome drummer. I really must get a blood test done

Quote:
Originally Posted by xubidoo View Post
Like the Doom VR video, very interesting how swapping control method stopped your motion sickness..
I myself have to started to suffer with it a lot in the last few years, usually playing 1st person shooters, original Doom games and Duke 3D all set me off now ,whereas i was fine a few yrs ago, the recent Resident Evil 2 demo and Spyro remakes also.
Half Life 2 back then made me physically sick with 15 mins of playing, wouldnt even try it nowadays
Old age isnt all is cracked up to be tbh :P

Great video and nice to see something a bit different, dont think id manage VR tho really with my luck
Cheers for watching as always mate. Yeah motion sickness in VR is an odd beast. I thought I'd prefer sticking with traditional FPS controls while in VR, but it doesn't work for me, and to be honest, it actually makes Doom a little crap. It's so much better with the move controllers but then you HAVE to teleport, but that makes the motion more predictable.

I can play Wipeout in VR for hours with no issues from cockpit view, with all comfort settings turned OFF. Equally I can happily play Battlezone (demo) with no ill effect even when circle strafing in a hover tank. BUT...with both of the above, you have a cockpit interior as a fixed and logical point of reference, that does NOT move in relation to you. And I think that helps. In fact I know it does.

The only time I've actually been sick from gaming, was when my mate brought round his brand new first edition PS3, and we hooked it up to the projector I owned at the time. We were playing an FPS called Resistance - Fall of man. We were taking it in turns which may have been the issue. We'd been playing for about an hour and then while watching him, I very suddenly didn't feel right.

I said "I'll be back in a moment" and went to the bathroom. Sure enough, there goes dinner