English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 15 October 2021, 14:31   #1
Aether

Amiga 1200 4xEIDE PIO Speeds

Hi all,

Just finished installing the 4xEIDE with Gayle adapter which I purchased from Amiga Kit, installed it into my A1200 and installed the software which came with it.

Installed the CF card to Port 0 and the CD-ROM to Port 2.

Installing and running the software provided EIDE '99 and Allegro CDFS it detects my CF card and CD-ROM starting that the MAX PIO is 5, the actual PIO shows as 0, but if I click the button to change the PIO speed nothing happens, no changes are made.

Anyone know as to why I can't change the PIO speed, am I missing something here?

Cheers,
Old 15 October 2021, 14:59   #2
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
If its this, http://amigakit.amiga.store/4xeide99...l?currency=GBP

Then it's only capable of providing PIO0.
Old 15 October 2021, 15:03   #3
Aether

Hey Mad-Matt, thanks for the reply.

It's the buffered version with the Gayle adapter as in the link below.

http://amigakit.amiga.store/a1200a60...ace-p-465.html
Old 15 October 2021, 15:06   #4
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Ah that seems to have its own driver set.

http://wiki.amiga.org/index.php?titl..._IDE_Interface

Eide99+Alegro is for elbox hardware.
Old 15 October 2021, 15:55   #5
Aether

Yeah, am using the software that came with the card being that which you have linked.

The read me file says that once the Gayle adapter is connected and the jumper is set to the 'ON' position it should default to PIO 4 speeds if the storage devices are compatible with that speed.

8. At this point, check the computer boots normally. With the On/Off
jumper set to the On position, the IDE transfer mode defaults to
PIO4 which may not be compatible with very old hard drives. Set
the jumper to Off which enables PIO0 at power on for compatibility
with older hard drives. The transfer mode can be over-ridden
at boot time by altering the preference, refer to the @{" software " link "SW_Setup"}
instructions for details.

The software detects the CF card and CD-ROM as PIO 5, but actual stays at 0.
Might reach out to AmigaKit for assistance as well, wonder if the adapter maybe faulty.
Old 15 October 2021, 16:03   #6
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

So are the jumpers set to force Pio4 or set to compatibility mode?

Id be surprised if it was faulty. Are you sure the gayle adaptor is properly clipped on? It can take quite a bit of pressure for them to clip and stay on.
Old 15 October 2021, 16:11   #7
Aether

Correct, the jumper is used to force to PIO 4 mode, jumper set to off hard locks it to PIO 0 for compatibility with older hardware.

Just got a reply back from AmigaKit, 10 mins and reply provided!

They advised to use the software and drivers in the link you have provided as well, seems that I may be using the Elbox Software which is not compatible with their device.

Will give this a try tomorrow when I get home and post feedback, thanks for your help so far Mad-Matt

Also confirmed that the adapter is on properly, heard it click into place. Noticed that a small surface mount resistor though stopped it from going all the way down so had to notch out the socket slightly to clear the resistor, but it is snapped down tight.
Old 16 October 2021, 02:54   #8
Jpor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aether View Post
Correct, the jumper is used to force to PIO 4 mode, jumper set to off hard locks it to PIO 0 for compatibility with older hardware.

Just got a reply back from AmigaKit, 10 mins and reply provided!

They advised to use the software and drivers in the link you have provided as well, seems that I may be using the Elbox Software which is not compatible with their device.

Will give this a try tomorrow when I get home and post feedback, thanks for your help so far Mad-Matt

Also confirmed that the adapter is on properly, heard it click into place. Noticed that a small surface mount resistor though stopped it from going all the way down so had to notch out the socket slightly to clear the resistor, but it is snapped down tight.
I also believe Amigakit recommends using IDEfix as well. I have this setup on my Checkmate 1500 setup. Best I got is around 2.5Mb sec to 3Mb/sec using an SD card and SD2IDE compared to 5Mb/sec using an Elbox FASTATA MKII.
Old 16 October 2021, 07:34   #9
Aether

Thanks for bearing with me guys, new to these types of upgrades

So loaded the software that was provided in the link by Mad-Matt and now the GUI looks different and I am able to change the PIO speeds, having set the PIO speed to 4 and then running Sysinfo to check drive speed, the drive does not increase by much at all.

Getting around 1.8Mb/s , not expecting to get great speeds, but 2.5MB/s to 3.0MB/s is what I would have expected to achieve.

The CF card being used is a SanDisk Extreme 32GB 120MB/s card, running OS 3.2

I also have an internal CD-ROM on Port 1 of the 4xEIDE set as master. It gets detected and when inserting a CD-ROM picks it up and displays an icon on the desktop being CD2, but it is greyed out and says unreadable? I know the discs work as I have used them on other systems.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Old 16 October 2021, 10:10   #10
Aether

Update, managed to get the CD-ROM icon on the desktop to appear and work but I need to go into Storage\DOS Drivers and double click on CD0 for it to appear, it will not appear on the desktop itself when a CD is inserted?
Changing CDs does not also remove the icon and update it to the new CD ROM that has been loaded?
Old 16 October 2021, 10:12   #11
thomas

Move it from Storage/DosDrivers to Devs/DosDrivers.

Storage is for storing inactive items. Items in Devs are activated on startup.
Old 16 October 2021, 10:41   #12
Aether

Hey Thomas,

Already did that and if I have a CD in the drive at bootup, it appears on desktop and I am able to access it fine. If I then swap CDs, the icon for the first CD stays even after ejecting the disc and when I insert the next disc the icon does not update nor can I access the second discs data. If i go to shell and access CD0 it shows the filenames of the first disc still, seems as though it ain't picking up the disc change.

Also if I insert the CD after bootup, it does not appear on desktop and if i double click on CD0 under \devs\dosdrivers it says CD0 already mounted but i can't load or access the disc and no desktop icon appears. Going to shell and accessing CD0 says 'No Disk Present in Device CD0', yet there is a disc in there.

Am i am in need of any special drivers, it is a clean install of OS 3.2.
Old 16 October 2021, 11:27   #13
thomas

Which CD file system do you use? Check its settings. There might be something regarding disk change. If the IDE driver does not support diskchange interrupts, the file system has to poll for disk changes for example every three seconds.

You can also indicate a disk change manually: open a shell window and enter

diskchange cd0:
Old 16 October 2021, 23:25   #14
Jpor
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for bearing with me guys, new to these types of upgrades

So loaded the software that was provided in the link by Mad-Matt and now the GUI looks different and I am able to change the PIO speeds, having set the PIO speed to 4 and then running Sysinfo to check drive speed, the drive does not increase by much at all.

Getting around 1.8Mb/s , not expecting to get great speeds, but 2.5MB/s to 3.0MB/s is what I would have expected to achieve.

The CF card being used is a SanDisk Extreme 32GB 120MB/s card, running OS 3.2

I also have an internal CD-ROM on Port 1 of the 4xEIDE set as master. It gets detected and when inserting a CD-ROM picks it up and displays an icon on the desktop being CD2, but it is greyed out and says unreadable? I know the discs work as I have used them on other systems.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Have you tried installing and configuring the CD drive with IDEFix97? Can be obtained off Aminet.net this is now free so the serial number etc is freely available
Old 17 October 2021, 02:57   #15
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

IDEFix doesn't play nice with 3.2 sadly. I'm using this adaptor, but ignored the software provided and used http://aminet.net/package/driver/media/AtapiMagic instead.
Old 17 October 2021, 06:37   #16
Aether

Hy Thomas, was using Allegro CDFS, but just did a fresh OS3.2 install with no other drivers installed, so am using the CDFS that comes with OS 3.2 I guess.

After the fresh OS install I moved CD0 to the Devs folder and it seemed to be working fine for a period of time, disk inserted, icon appeared, disc removed icon removed etc, then all of a sudden it stopped working with no other changes made. sigh, thought I had to for a second there.

If i do use the diskchange cd0: command it does work and loads the new disc.

What CDFS do you recommend to use?

Also tried AtapiMagic same thing no auto disc changing etc.
Old 18 October 2021, 08:27   #17
Aether

Hey JPor,

Managed to fix the CD loading and changing issue by using atapi.device from IDEFIX97. I just copied that one file into DEVS, as when I tried to install IDEFIX97 via the install option it crashes my system.

The only concern is that it keeps popping up a NAG screen advising that it is a DEMO only version, I thought IDEFIX97 was now free, guessing because I ain't fully loading it that the NAG screen keeps appearing.
Old 18 October 2021, 09:16   #18
thomas

IDEfix was never free. The key file which leaked was illegal.

You can get a legal key with Amiga Forever.

There are other possibilities. There is CacheCDFS from OS 3.5/3.9 or AmiCDFS from Aminet. They can both be configured to poll for disk changes without interrupts.

Or you can complain with the vendor of your IDE interface to properly implement disk change interrupts.
Old 18 October 2021, 13:53   #19
Jpor
Banned

Quote:
Hey JPor,

Managed to fix the CD loading and changing issue by using atapi.device from IDEFIX97. I just copied that one file into DEVS, as when I tried to install IDEFIX97 via the install option it crashes my system.

The only concern is that it keeps popping up a NAG screen advising that it is a DEMO only version, I thought IDEFIX97 was now free, guessing because I ain't fully loading it that the NAG screen keeps appearing.
Sent you a PM