English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 28 June 2016, 23:49   #1661
PeterK

No, I don't like themes and skins and too much eye candy!
Old 30 June 2016, 14:23   #1662
kolla
Banned

Hehe I would love a quick way to switch between different icon styles, there are times I am all MagicWB, but then next week I want NewIcon style icons, or ProLite, or GlowIcons...
Old 30 June 2016, 18:16   #1663
Pancio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
Hehe I would love a quick way to switch between different icon styles, there are times I am all MagicWB, but then next week I want NewIcon style icons, or ProLite, or GlowIcons...
meaby i have an solution for you, but you'll have to spend some time to prepare your own script. try to download the additional icon package for real amikit here http://real.amiga.sk/downloads.htm. it is a great example how to create an simple script which can help you to easy change between your icons packs.
cheers
Old 30 June 2016, 18:45   #1664
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
No, I don't like themes and skins and too much eye candy!
Hear hear
Old 01 July 2016, 00:50   #1665
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancio View Post
it is a great example how to create an simple script which can help you to easy change between your icons packs.
cheers
Of course I can write simple scripts that replace the icon images using processicon or similar tool, but that would kind of defeat the idea of having a simple and quick way to change icon set just by changing an assign. I dislike the idea of having to actually write to each and every *.info file on disk to change icon set.
Old 01 July 2016, 03:05   #1666
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Then sorry, kolla, but the only way to change every icon is in fact to change every icon . Well, my script changes all of them with two clicks but of course takes time and the inconvenience is that you can't have icons moved from a place to another.

BTW thanks a lot for your comment, Pancio. Yes, I didn't find a script to change all of the existing icons, so I just searched and thought a bit. As I'm not any coder/programmer, I had to find a simple way. The only difficult part was that I hadn't any existing icons to use in any of my two packs, so I had to make them icon by icon, and the PNG icons are dual ones (two images for each one), so a very painful job. The thing is that for Ken's icons for example they change from a size around 6000 to around 1600 (now I can't remember exactly), so they behave/are shown much faster. *

Of course if you just change all of the icons with existing ones that you find and you like using CopyIcon, then it's very easy to change a pack of icons using my script.

*Explanation: For the Magellan's icon pack I only had png images that I had to convert -well, a lot of times I had to make new images to start as those icons weren't meant for Amiga-, and for the Ken's icons convertion (two different ones) I had to change both the "normal" and the "selected" image of them remapped to use less colors.

In fact I would like to make another improved pack using the "Retro Image Tool" -16 colors (16&16) icons remapped to the right palette could look even better -well, a joke- than 256 colors ones-, but as it doesn't have a batch option yet, I don't want to spend a year to make a better pack. If any wants, I'm all ears

Last edited by Retrofan; 01 July 2016 at 20:52.
Old 01 July 2016, 07:17   #1667
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Then sorry, kolla, but the only way to change every icon is in fact to change every icon ;)
Nothing is set in stone, and there are always workarounds :)

For example, in s:user-startup...

Assign ICONS: SYS:Prefs/Presets/Icons/MagicWB
Makedir RAM:Icons
List ICONS:#?.info lformat "Makelink *"RAM:Icons/%n*" *"%p%n*" SOFT" to t:icons
execute t:icons

Then you can replace #?.info files on disk with permanent softlinks pointing to icon of choice in RAM:Icons:

Makelink SYS:Disk.info RAM:Icons/SYS_disk.info SOFT FORCE

This means only writing to disk that take place, is when saving tooltypes etc, everything else only takes place in RAM.

Last edited by kolla; 01 July 2016 at 07:45.
Old 01 July 2016, 08:58   #1668
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Btw Peter I noticed while testing AfA OS on my setup, that iconlib.exe from AfA is responsible for all icon showing instead of using the default icon.library running in WB.
That is not a problem actually although you lack features like ghosting, change to OS3.5 format while snapshot etc.

In order to change my iconset to Ken's icons but changed into OS3.5 format, I had to disable AfA OS, use your icon.library and then change back to AfA OS. If I remove/rename iconlib.exe (from AfA_OS_Libs) then AfA doesn't work correctly so not much I can do.

You have any idea how can I use your icon.library instead of iconlib.exe to have all these futures that we love ?
Old 01 July 2016, 10:02   #1669
HanSolo

Someone should take care of Afa_os and improve it. Also DirOpus need some bugfixing because with afa_os thwere is no visible icons on desktop (only labels). When you insert disk then icons will be shown, but when you click or move a window they disappear again. So if somebody have coding skills please do something with it.(I will try when I find all informaion I need, but it take some/many time..)
Old 01 July 2016, 19:56   #1670
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfilos View Post
Btw Peter I noticed while testing AfA OS on my setup, that iconlib.exe from AfA is responsible for all icon showing instead of using the default icon.library running in WB.
Nothing new.

Quote:
That is not a problem actually although you lack features like ghosting, change to OS3.5 format while snapshot etc.
No, ghosting can be enabled in AfA_Prefs, except for disks.

Quote:
In order to change my iconset to Ken's icons but changed into OS3.5 format, I had to disable AfA OS, use your icon.library and then change back to AfA OS. If I remove/rename iconlib.exe (from AfA_OS_Libs) then AfA doesn't work correctly so not much I can do.
You have any idea how can I use your icon.library instead of iconlib.exe to have all these futures that we love ?
Have a look into AmiKit, there it works with my icon.library. But Amikit has several newer AfA files insralled, which are already version 4.8 and it does a lot of magical things in its scripts!

Why do you want to use AfA_OS at all ??
Old 01 July 2016, 20:02   #1671
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanSolo View Post
Someone should take care of Afa_os and improve it. Also DirOpus need some bugfixing because with afa_os thwere is no visible icons on desktop (only labels). When you insert disk then icons will be shown, but when you click or move a window they disappear again. So if somebody have coding skills please do something with it.(I will try when I find all informaion I need, but it take some/many time..)
This sounds as if you are trying to combine AfA_OS and DOpus 5.9x. It doesn't work together. DOpus 5.9x has introduced some new bugs and AFAIK Bernd Roesch has alredy sent a bug report to the DOpus developers. But no reaction!

I don't care much about AfA_OS and DOpus5, since I prefer to use the plain Workbench 3.9 and DOpus4.
Old 01 July 2016, 20:40   #1672
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
Nothing is set in stone, and there are always workarounds

For example, in s:user-startup...

Assign ICONS: SYS:Prefs/Presets/Icons/MagicWB
Makedir RAM:Icons
List ICONS:#?.info lformat "Makelink *"RAM:Icons/%n*" *"%p%n*" SOFT" to t:icons
execute t:icons

Then you can replace #?.info files on disk with permanent softlinks pointing to icon of choice in RAM:Icons:

Makelink SYSisk.info RAM:Icons/SYS_disk.info SOFT FORCE

This means only writing to disk that take place, is when saving tooltypes etc, everything else only takes place in RAM.

That looks really very interesting, but what happens if the icons are write protected, does it change them? I don't think so.

I also can't have stored "forever" such a big file with all of the thousands of icons (compressed even) in the Ram, so they should be copied in each booting, taking a long, loooong, boring and long time.

But of course the biggest problem is that I can not store a set of icons that you can select to use just because it won't be right with the very fist icon you move from a place to another. Let's say in the WBStartup.

Last edited by Retrofan; 02 July 2016 at 01:40.
Old 01 July 2016, 20:58   #1673
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfilos View Post
...In order to change my iconset to Ken's icons but changed into OS3.5 format, I had to disable AfA OS, use your icon.library and then change back to AfA OS. If I remove/rename iconlib.exe (from AfA_OS_Libs) then AfA doesn't work correctly so not much I can do.

I only can tell you that there is a tool in AKReal: AmiKit:Tools/Icons to 3.5 format using a program by Thomas Rapp that can change ALL of your existing icons to that format.

And no, PeterK won't change the AfA_OS iconlib, you should contact the author and tell any problem with it.
Old 01 July 2016, 22:01   #1674
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Retrofan I haven't asked Peter to change anything... I was just curious alas I asked.
Thanks for the response Peter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02 July 2016, 10:00   #1675
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
That looks really very interesting, but what happens if the icons are write protected, does it change them? I don't think so.

I also can't have stored "forever" such a big file with all of the thousands of icons (compressed even) in the Ram, so they should be copied in each booting, taking a long, loooong, boring and long time.

But of course the biggest problem is that I can not store a set of icons that you can select to use just because it won't be right with the very fist icon you move from a place to another. Let's say in the WBStartup.
From your questions and comments I realize you didn't understand what I wrote.

* no icons in RAM, only symbolic links, and certainly not thousands of them
* no copying of anything
* moving (rename within one volume, say between wbstartup and commodities folders, or devs and storage) works fine, copy will not since it has no concept of symbolic links.

SYS:Disk.info(symbolic link) -> RAM:Icons(directory)/ SYS_Disk.info(symbolic link) -> ICONS:(assign)SYS_Disk.info(actual file containing icon and metadata)
Old 02 July 2016, 10:04   #1676
kolla
Banned

Useful tool for handling icons, not just images and formats, but also metadata: http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/ProcessIcon

Also for AROS/x86: http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/processicon.i386-aros
Old 02 July 2016, 14:18   #1677
daxb

Unfortunately (soft- hard) links are a bit problematic and uncomfortable. For the single user it might work or not. OS, Fileystem and tools need to support links and that isn`t always the case.
Old 03 July 2016, 03:54   #1678
kolla
Banned

Problematic and uncomfortable? As far as I know, soft links have been supported in FFS since at least 3.1, and soft links in ram-handler since at least 3.9, maybe even 3.5.
Old 03 July 2016, 13:55   #1679
daxb

It depends if and what works. You need a proper MakeLink, OS version, Fileystem and backup tool if you use one. Sometimes you can read in the related docs what is supported. PFS3 includes a MakeLink command because the original has problems with softlinks. SFS supports only softliks, no hardlinks. When you do a backup links can be tricky. E.g. BackUp docs mention possible problems with softlinks. Overall I just want to mention that there are possible problems that can happen if you are searching for a solution for wider range of people. Moreover I`m not sure if OS3 itself is proof but hat must answer an expert.
Old 04 July 2016, 20:33   #1680
PeterK

Update to icon.library 46.4.433:

Improved again the automatic glowing effect for the PNG and OS4 icons with only one image. Finally, it provides 2 colors now.

Last edited by PeterK; 04 July 2016 at 21:31.