English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 06 December 2012, 01:40   #1
zevs

RTG screen dragging?

Hi

I have just tested the AROS Vision 68k distro, using WinUAE. It works fine, but not as smooth as the original yet

But RTG screen dragging works, and can that be applied to Amiga OS? Where is screen dragging hidden? The Picasso96 drivers or in the kernel?

I would be fantastic if we could port RTG screen dragging from AROS sources back to AmigaOS! Something like an enhanced Aros for Amiga

Is this doable?
Old 06 December 2012, 09:05   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Same old answer: AmigaOS RTG subsystems are closed source, it is impossible to add major feature like screen dragging.

AROS can do it because its graphics subsystem is created from scratch.
Old 06 December 2012, 09:09   #3
jPV

You can already do RTG screen dragging on real Amiga and Amiga OS, if you use CGX instead of P96. But I guess there's no way to add support for CGX with WinUAE...
Old 06 December 2012, 10:01   #4
zevs

Thanks for the replies, guys.

But I was thinking, could AROS sources replace the Picasso96 drivers? Imagine WinUAE with DirectX.hidd....

I mean, when WinUAE and AROS has come this far, how come we must use close sourced graphic drivers more then 10 years old?

Could Gallium 3D be used in an emulated environment?
Old 06 December 2012, 16:16   #5
mark_k

I don't think it's a question of the graphics card driver, rather than the whole RTG system. Any RTG system will have to make pretty extensive changes/patches to many intuition.library and graphics.library functions. So someone would need to write an open source RTG system first. The existing AROS code doesn't address that patching process.

As jPV said, CyberGraphX does support draggable screens. I don't know whether it would be possible for someone to write a CyberGraphX driver for WinUAE or not. As far as I recall, the RTG system developers (both CyberGraphX and Picasso96) never made documentation on how to write graphics card drivers publically available.
Old 06 December 2012, 16:52   #6
James

It is not perfect but this can already be done with Dragon:

http://amigazeux.org/index.php?name=...article&sid=43
Old 08 December 2012, 10:08   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Exactly, CyberGraphX _driver_ development documentation is hidden in someone's safe.
Old 28 June 2020, 17:05   #8
ancalimon
Supernormal

I was wondering if it's still hidden would they consider releasing it?
Old 28 June 2020, 21:34   #9
AMIGASYSTEM

@zevs

If I understand correctly and you mean the move out of the screen (see screnshot), you can get it on OS3 RTG (UAE Zorro III or Picasso IV) using a particular Application (PowerWindows)

It can also be achieved with OS 3.1.4 thanks to the new Intuition.library

@zevs
About Aros 68k, have you tried Aros One 68k?

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 06 August 2020 at 15:36.
Old 28 June 2020, 21:50   #10
Thomas Richter

No, that's really screen dragging. Its functionality is really split across multiple modules. Intuition does one thing, each intuition screen contains a viewport. IntuitionBase creates also a View. View and Viewport are both primitives of graphics. It is then the matter of graphics to merge the multiple viewports, and their copper lists to a common display, represented by the view.

Thus, in a native Amiga system, it is a matter of intuition and graphics to create screen dragging.

On an RTG system, the graphics "struct Monitor" has an entry to a function hook to allow a custom "view" creation. An RTG system can, based on this, merge multiple view ports to its display. Alternatively, the display info database contains also a "VecTable" that contains multiple function hooks that are called by the graphics library function MrgCop(), which is the "low level function" to merge multiple view ports into a view. It is another option how to merge screens into a display and allow screen dragging.

For RTG graphics, it would be a matter of suitably implementing such hooks for screen dragging.
Old 28 June 2020, 22:01   #11
AMIGASYSTEM

Excuse me Thomas, from the translation I understood very little, for sure the screen can be taken everywhere and is very functional, moreover the windows can be extended without limits, see attached video:

EDIT:
Vorrei sottolineare che il trascinamento riguarda solo Windows e Applicazioni, ma non è possibile spostare lo schermo, questo non è possibile nemmeno su AROS 68k, ma si può fare invece solo AROS x86.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fhq...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 28 June 2020 at 22:35.
Old 29 June 2020, 00:08   #12
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

They are discussing screen dragging not window dragging. Example would be Deluxe Paint opened on it's own screen and pulling the Workbench screen down to see the Deluxe Paint screen or whatever is running on another screen or screenmode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Excuse me Thomas, from the translation I understood very little, for sure the screen can be taken everywhere and is very functional, moreover the windows can be extended without limits, see attached video:

EDIT:
Vorrei sottolineare che il trascinamento riguarda solo Windows e Applicazioni, ma non è possibile spostare lo schermo, questo non è possibile nemmeno su AROS 68k, ma si può fare invece solo AROS x86.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fhq...ew?usp=sharing
Old 29 June 2020, 01:24   #13
AMIGASYSTEM

Yes thanks SnkBitten, but the Zevs user took as an example AROS 68k that doesn't do this thing, but does what I showed in my Video.

Moving the screen only does AROS x86