English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 11 April 2010, 19:24   #1
Info-Seeker

DH1 & 2 Won't Mount in 3.9 on A2000

Hey Guys,

After screwing with the 1200 for months trying to get it to work with a large hard drive, I finally used a 3.9 Setup in AmiKit to partition, format and load a 20 gig 2.5 laptop hard drive for the 1200. I was able to do in half a day what I couldn't in over 3 months...

Anyways, because it was so easy, I decided to set up a few other drives the same way so I could have everything exactly the way I want it without having to install everything multiple times.

I just put a 18 Gig SCSI SCA drive with a 50 pin adapter in to a 2000. Nice fast 10k rpm drive, runs nice in the 2000, though might be a bit overkill Its hanging off a GVP 030/50 with 16 megs on it. It has some weird stand off and bios upgrade called a GURURom installed where the card bios goes, version 6.01. There is also a MegaChip on board for 2 megs of chip ram.

I set up 2, 2 gig partitions, and then a 14 gig partiton on the drive, all 3 running SFS/00. I copied over 3.9 to the first partition, leaving DH1 for apps and stuff and DH2 for the Home Dirs and whdload installs. It is the same config I have running on the 1200.

When I first put the drive in and DH1 & 2 didn't mount I re-instlled NSDPatch and IdeFix97 on the 2000 with no luck. Neither Partition will mount in 3.9, though they show up in the Pre Boot Menu if I hold both mouse buttons on Reset.

if I try to change to either partition I get a Dos Error 103 - Not Enough Memory. I added another 6 megs of Ram bringing it up to 24 megs, 6 on the zorro bus, 2 chip, and 16 32bit on the accelerator, but I do not think this is the problem.

Other than this the box runs great with no problems, I just can not get to all my storage.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Info-Seeker
Old 12 April 2010, 17:05   #2
Info-Seeker

Ok guys, after a little more screwing around and some reading, I think I may know what the problem is, just not sure how to fix it.

I connected up a second 18 gig scsi drive with the first one. I was curious if I had created the partitions on the 2000 instead of in the emulator, would they in fact show up. So I partitioned the second drive exactly like the first. The drive was recognized by the controller no problem, and came right up in HDToolBox under 3.9. It even recognized the size correctly. I then set it up exactly like the first drive, 2, 2gig partitions, and the remaining space in a third 14+gig partition. All with SFS as the file system. Saved then exited out of HDToolBox.

When I reboot, only the first partition on the new drive showed up, exactly as it did with the first drive. However all the new partitions show up in in the pre-startup menu if I hold down both mouse buttons on reboot.

So I did some reading, and after a bunch of searching and unrelated material, I came across something that said the GVP card doesn't auto mount non FFS partitions. I leeched the GVP Install disk and am going to try the FastPrep install utility, but I haven't had the chance to try it yet.

So, Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on getting all the non FFS partitions to show up on a GVP Combo Accelerator / Scsi Controller? Or any other thoughts ont he subject since I have not proven this theory yet...

Thanks, Info
Old 12 April 2010, 17:16   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Probably usual max 4G/lack of 64-bit addressing issue.

Do SFS partitions work normally if you create few 100M (or so) partitions that are all under first 4G of drive? Does DH1 start working if you create 2 1.9G partitions? (not 2.0G)
Old 12 April 2010, 23:11   #4
Info-Seeker

well, as per your suggestion, Toni, I deleted the third partition and dropped the second down to 1.8 gigs to keep it below the 4gig barrier. After I rebooted, dh1 showed up, so I guess it is a 4 gig issue with the GVP card and the OmniScsi.device.

After seeing the second partition show up, I versioned the OmniScsi.device and it came up as version 1.10, which I think may be the problem. Ya, I just checked and the latest version with 64 bit support is 6.14.. so I think I am a little out of date there

Now I have to find someone to burn me a rom, or someone tell me what stuff I need to burn it myself.. always wanted an excuse to score a willem...

Thanks Toni!

Info
Old 13 April 2010, 02:04   #5
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Download GVPOmniSCSI.ROM from this site and burn it to a 27512 EPROM with at least 120ns speed.

Best of all worlds: the faster Babel ROM and one of the best Amiga 2000controller: the GVP ones.
Old 13 April 2010, 02:19   #6
Info-Seeker

yea, I already scored the rom image, just trying to find someone to burn it for me... otherwise I found a willem prommer for under 40 bux uSD.. plus a few chips... Hopefully someone can burn it for me

Info
Old 13 April 2010, 04:11   #7
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
The EPROM chip itself is a no-brainer: you can buy it new (usually 100ns, nowadays) or loot into a pile of old hardware.

If you are skilled enough you can even create a Flash-ROM using a pair of flash ROM chips from dead (no need to be dead, of course!) PC motherboards.

ST94F00 or something like that. Search for the datasheet, too!