English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 15 May 2022, 01:05   #301
agermose

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat666 View Post
Exactly... excuse my ignorance, but what's the point of a demo version that will be seen by only a handful of people that buy that magazine? Amiga community is not that huge anyway... and the game is (probably?) gonna be free in the end anyway... ?
Fair question.
The point is that I’m a big fan of Zzap magazine, and wanted to give their readers something to play. The rest will have to wait until we’re finally done.
Old 15 May 2022, 01:22   #302
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by agermose View Post
Fair question.
The point is that I’m a big fan of Zzap magazine, and wanted to give their readers something to play. The rest will have to wait until we’re finally done.
You are aware that 1942 is still being sold by Capcom: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...e_Stadium1942/ ?
Old 15 May 2022, 07:28   #303
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
You are aware that 1942 is still being sold by Capcom: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...e_Stadium1942/ ?
That's why I suggested to fly as much under the radar as possible... Capcom is notorious about prosecuting people charging money for their ip without licenses. And putting the demo of the game on a commercial magazine might attract some unwanted attention.
Old 15 May 2022, 22:26   #304
agermose

Project on hold.
Old 16 May 2022, 11:33   #305
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Quote:
Project on hold.
How about a demo on itch? Why behind a paywall! Think of the Amiga community!

Last edited by Neil79; 17 May 2022 at 20:38.
Old 16 May 2022, 14:27   #306
Karl_Retro32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil79 View Post
How about a demo on itch? Why all these exclusives to retro32? Why behind a paywall at fusion? Think of the Amiga community!
It shouldn't be about who gets the exclusive. It should be about helping and supporting the developers with beta testing and promotion rather than bleating about who gets it first and then boycotting if it's not come to you? (Knightmare)
Old 16 May 2022, 16:37   #307
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Project on hold.
***achievent unlocked***
p155 0ff developer big time

-_-
Old 17 May 2022, 19:52   #308
zzbylu
Saberman

Demo - gameplay:
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 18 May 2022, 04:47   #309
Nightshft

Okay, normally I'm quite patient, but some things have to be made clear here, and corrected.

Neither this game nor the demo are behind a paywall. That is a misleading term. A demo just came out, as a free gimmick, on the coverdisk of the popular ZZap Amiga magazine, which is a big difference.

Neil79,

as you normally deliver high quality articles at IRN
we are a little surprised that in the current IRN article you
- call it such (behind a paywall). The release always was planned for free (and you know that). A demo came out on a coverdisk nothing less and nothing more.
- mix up names. Agermose codes this OCS 50 fps game engine.
- mentioning in the article that the game is "heavily copyright by Capcom" has contra-productive effects.
The situation is hard enough. We spent many months on this, always wanted to release it for free. And now (also considering the latest discussion here) it is not clear if even a free release is possible! Which means, contrary to what you write, also itch.io is not guaranteed to solve this problem. Emphasizing the (c) in your article further decreases chances of a possible release.
- "still coming" in the title is currently not correct/misleading. The project is on hold which is clearly stated in this very thread. "Demo version released on Coverdisk" would be more appropriate, just for example.

We ask you to correct the article to cover the facts please. Thank you!

Nightshft/RetroDNA

Edit: Already the first comment on IRN Facebook about paying for the game. Shows how misleading the "paywall" naming is.

Last edited by Nightshft; 18 May 2022 at 05:46.
Old 18 May 2022, 09:54   #310
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshft View Post
Okay, normally I'm quite patient, but some things have to be made clear here, and corrected.

Neither this game nor the demo are behind a paywall. That is a misleading term. A demo just came out, as a free gimmick, on the coverdisk of the popular ZZap Amiga magazine, which is a big difference.
To reply to all your comments I've replaced the paywall term as that was a little harsh, however it is still a paid coverdisk and it is still copyright to Capcom. The article I put up was days and days ahead of any frustrated parties (17th May). The feedback from the community did actually give weight to my article. Also in regards to names it clearly says Agermose is still working on his full Arcade to Amiga conversion of....1942! and SFX, code by nightshift and music by DJ METUNE. - See video description ( I have no control over the videos )

Credits:
Quote:
Agermose - code
Nightshft - maps, SFX, code
DJ METUNE - music
I am a huge supporter of the Amiga community, I've done enough over the years. But I rarely voice my opinion and in this instance I felt it was just. I mean seriously I'm not the only one to say this...

tomcat 13thmay
Quote:
That's why I suggested to fly as much under the radar as possible... Capcom is notorious about prosecuting people charging money for their ip without licenses. And putting the demo of the game on a commercial magazine might attract some unwanted attention.
jotd
Quote:
you should make your game downloadable from itch.io for free. And people can still donate 2, 5 or more euros/dollars.
Just don't understand why the game is behind exclusives and demo disc payments ( You've still got to pay in some way to play it ). I don't really care if I don't get to play it "FIRST", just feel in this instance EVERYONE should have a chance to try the demo. Not much to ask? . Oh and I did say "While we are looking forward to playing the end result, especially as it does look rather good ". So yes the game did get high praise, but the way it was done ie demo not so much.

I'll end the post saying the game looks amazing it really does, and when and if it becomes a public demo I'll be giving it even further high praise!
Old 18 May 2022, 10:21   #311
tomcat666
Retro Freak

My comment to "fly under the radar" was purely because I love the game and all the development you have done so far and would really like to see it released, and I have seen some similar projects (mine included) jeopardized because of similar actions, which I know were not meant to do any harm!
Old 18 May 2022, 10:41   #312
d4rk3lf

I really hope this will resolve in most painless way.

Amiga fans deserves beautiful port like this one, and even more importantly, developers deserves biggest praise for such amazing work, that lasted almost 3 years.
Old 18 May 2022, 11:02   #313
jotd
This cat is no more

Neil79 my games are distributed on itch.io for free. There's a "suggested" donation you can make if you download it, but that's completely optional.

I would not sell my games, since they're blatant ripoffs for graphics & sounds. Only the programming is "original".

I was suggesting that 1942 amiga version does that too.

Note: Pacman & MrsPacman & Scramble are still for sale I think, you can find a virtual console or some NDS cartridge or whatever with those games on it. And I'm not getting sued. Just because copyright holders don't care too much for the Amiga (and that's for the best)
Old 18 May 2022, 11:31   #314
acidbottle

Sticking my 2 cents in.

There does appear to be confusion above that 1942 would be exclusive to ZZap (a magazine I also subscribe and enjoy, along with others) though in reality it was just the demo. I do see no reason, after some weeks, to make the demo available to all via itch.io. Just a small exclusive bonus to those readers isn't it, the demo may not have existed at all, in other words.

Anyway, I strongly believe that copyright holders would not take any legal action if a clone was released, for free, on a very niche and old platform. Had no Sega knocking on my door either, let alone the bazillion websites with roms and rips. There was a flurry of action on a few sites that held nintendo roms that I am aware of, they slowly returned anyway, you cannot stop them. An issue could possibly occur if the game then goes on to be sold commercially. I think Mcgeezer changed the name a bit on Super Sprint to cover bases, afaik, no action was taken with Rygar either, which was also commercial (now free).

The game is utterly superb, from what we have seen and give 100% support to this project, via donation or otherwise. I hope it is not in jeopardy as a result of this discussion.
Old 18 May 2022, 15:08   #315
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
Neil79 my games are distributed on itch.io for free. There's a "suggested" donation you can make if you download it, but that's completely optional.
No complaints from me, your games are bloody awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidbottle View Post

Anyway, I strongly believe that copyright holders would not take any legal action if a clone was released, for free, on a very niche and old platform.

Here's a true story for you!

Around a month ago I found a fan based animated video of Street Fighter that someone had done but was clearly lacking any music to give it that retro feel. So I downloaded the video, added a soundtrack remix of the game uploaded it to Facebook with full credit to the original Animated author and guess what happened? It had 67 shares and one month later I got this..

Capcom took it down as it was copyright... Even if the artwork wasn't actually done by them, and the music was a remix but because it was Street Fighter based..

I've even had copyright take downs on Amiga games I've uploaded to Mirrors that were given the special edition treatment by Earok. So I just rarely bother anymore
Old 18 May 2022, 15:16   #316
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidbottle View Post
An issue could possibly occur if the game then goes on to be sold commercially.
Which is the case for 1942. Capcom isn't Nintendo, but putting it on a cover disk (even of a niche magezine) without their permission is asking for trouble.
Old 18 May 2022, 16:36   #317
acidbottle

@Neil79

I am quite surprised they activated a takedown based on similarities, rather than straight 1:1 copy of their IP. You look through etsy, as an example, the shop is full of copyright infringement and being sold for profit to boot!!

Maybe its a little different for an actual game but being sued or taken to court is still a highly unlikely scenario. If Sega sue me they will get the square route of nothing anyway, plus take a hit on their legal costs! A takedown wouldn't be so bad, would probably be enough copies in the public domain to spread around without them being able to do sod all about it!

I do however take the point that putting this copyright material on a commercial product has an element of risk.

I love doing ports, eventually it may catch up with me but I do not feel uneasy about releasing them either, perhaps if they were sold commercially I would think twice on the name, at least.
Old 18 May 2022, 17:51   #318
BippyM
Global Moderator

Thread closed at agermose's request