English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 19 May 2021, 19:53   #1201
Warty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hth313 View Post
Will the new 3.2 run as a superkickstart (if I fix the bonus code) on my 1.4 based A3000?
It had better, I already made the disk label!

It seems like from what I've read, it's going to work for A3000s with superkickstarts, but we'll just have to see I guess...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.3_style_labels_first_printing.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	573.8 KB
ID:	71997  

Last edited by Warty; 19 May 2021 at 19:56. Reason: Forgot the attachment.
Old 20 May 2021, 05:22   #1202
gdonner
Ancient Amiga User

Quote:
Will the new 3.2 run as a superkickstart (if I fix the bonus code) on my 1.4 based A3000?
Here's the disk C= shipped to a fairly small batch of Amiga 3000T users that (sort of) broke the original 1.4-based Kickstart by supporting the '040. I'm still trying to find a working copy of it just for nostalgic reasons... Commodore didn't spend much time creating new labels for some of these.
Old 20 May 2021, 09:14   #1203
Olaf Barthel

Quote:
Can't think of a reason why it won't

Come to think of it, I don't remember if we actually baked a SuperKickstart disk as part of the distribution. Hm... but https://aminet.net/util/misc/MakeSuperDisk.lha should see you through.
Old 20 May 2021, 13:42   #1204
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbob42 View Post
True. In a few years, emulated Amigas will become a lot faster than real ones (they already are by far when enabling JIT).

If you cut corners, it can be fast. If you play the full game, things are not so impressive, you will be lucky to get 060 performance even on over clocked to 5GHz modern machines. And take into account ridiculously faster ram compared to the old tech of 30 years ago. We are stagnating on single core performance, so I don't see large improvements in that are for some time unless something special happens,
Old 20 May 2021, 15:20   #1205
gdonner
Ancient Amiga User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaf Barthel View Post

Come to think of it, I don't remember if we actually baked a SuperKickstart disk as part of the distribution. Hm... but https://aminet.net/util/misc/MakeSuperDisk.lha should see you through.
Just out of curiosity, the Big Book of Amiga Hardware's A3000 entry notes that:

"A3000's fitted with Kickstart V1.4 cannot use 040 or 060 processors, regardless of what version of Kickstart is eventually booted, because it relies heavily on the integrated MMU in the 030 which varies to some degree from the MMU in 040 and 060 processors."

I know I'm getting in over my head on this ("fools rush in..."), but is this still true(?) that there's no stealthy way to add '040/'060 boot code into a pair of new physical 1.4 Kickstart ROMs (ROM space permitting) that redirect MMU control over to an installed '040/'060 accelerator and allowing you to boot?

Last edited by gdonner; 20 May 2021 at 15:54.
Old 20 May 2021, 18:37   #1206
hth313

Quote:

LOL, I can think of a reason. The bonus code is loaded over the end of the Kickstart image. If there is active stuff there in the A3000 kickstart, it will most likely fail.

If you are still thinking of this and ensuring it works, you have my sincere respect, I love that feature.

There is only one thing I would ever wish for and that is for the Guru to return. It is a cool piece of history that belongs to the system. The term has made it outside the Amiga, with its own Wikipedia page, it is that cool.
Old 20 May 2021, 18:59   #1207
Olaf Barthel

Quote:
LOL, I can think of a reason. The bonus code is loaded over the end of the Kickstart image. If there is active stuff there in the A3000 kickstart, it will most likely fail.
Yikes, now I'm uncertain if we actually built the A3000 Kickstart files with the bonus code attached This is a feature of the build process which goes back to Commodore's times.

In any case, if you still have an A3000 Kickstart file in DEVS: you could extract the bonus code (the ROM is 524288 bytes in size and everything in excess of it is the bonus code), append it to the AmigaOS 3.2 Kickstart file and use the resulting file. It is that simple.

Quote:
If you are still thinking of this and ensuring it works, you have my sincere respect, I love that feature.
I need to look this over. I hope we didn't forget about it

Quote:
There is only one thing I would ever wish for and that is for the Guru to return. It is a cool piece of history that belongs to the system. The term has made it outside the Amiga, with its own Wikipedia page, it is that cool.
I can't argue with you on that, it is a significant part of the character of the Amiga operating system. Few operating systems do "charmingly cryptic" as well as the Amiga OS

That said (I'm German and can't help it), I'm one for "form follows function" and merely relabeling something doesn't satisfy me. If the old name would come back, there should be more to it than just this change.
Old 20 May 2021, 21:41   #1208
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Yikes, now I'm uncertain if we actually built the A3000 Kickstart files with the bonus code attached This is a feature of the build process which goes back to Commodore's times.

In any case, if you still have an A3000 Kickstart file in DEVS: you could extract the bonus code (the ROM is 524288 bytes in size and everything in excess of it is the bonus code), append it to the AmigaOS 3.2 Kickstart file and use the resulting file. It is that simple.

I need to look this over. I hope we didn't forget about it

I can't argue with you on that, it is a significant part of the character of the Amiga operating system. Few operating systems do "charmingly cryptic" as well as the Amiga OS

That said (I'm German and can't help it), I'm one for "form follows function" and merely relabeling something doesn't satisfy me. If the old name would come back, there should be more to it than just this change.
How about making a lot of people very happy..?
Old 20 May 2021, 21:45   #1209
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
We are talking about this already.
Be patient, lots of things need to align.

Things are not so easy as they might seem.
Old 20 May 2021, 21:57   #1210
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
we are talking about this already.
Be patient, lots of things need to align.

Things are not so easy as they might seem.
<3
Old 21 May 2021, 00:03   #1211
hth313

Quote:

The 1.4 Kickstart first loads the first 512K, which is the normal Kickstart. Then it loads the bonus code over the last 4K of the just loaded Kickstart image.

I can handle putting these files together and the tool you have on aminet can create such floppies. So all is good, if the last 4K are still unused.
Old 21 May 2021, 09:35   #1212
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdonner View Post
Just out of curiosity, the Big Book of Amiga Hardware's A3000 entry notes that:

"A3000's fitted with Kickstart V1.4 cannot use 040 or 060 processors, regardless of what version of Kickstart is eventually booted, because it relies heavily on the integrated MMU in the 030 which varies to some degree from the MMU in 040 and 060 processors."

I know I'm getting in over my head on this ("fools rush in..."), but is this still true(?) that there's no stealthy way to add '040/'060 boot code into a pair of new physical 1.4 Kickstart ROMs (ROM space permitting) that redirect MMU control over to an installed '040/'060 accelerator and allowing you to boot?
The kickad module and the bonus code would have to be updated to support 040/060. More ROM space could be gained by deleting wb.lib from before the bootstrap modules in the ROM.

I'm not sure if the source code for the hacked 2nd exec in the bootstrap ROM still exists, but at least a relocation table for it could be manually created in order to be able to build the new ROM.

My educated guess here is that it might be feasible to have an 030/040/060 aware kickad module but the various CPUs would need matching bonuses, so your superkick file would have to be tied to a certain CPU.
Old 21 May 2021, 11:20   #1213
Olaf Barthel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
Well... that's a tough one for sure. As we all learned at a time, what makes you happy often isn't good for you and sometimes even does not make you happy once you have attained it. Not being able to seize what you were after is often part of what makes you return to the matter (buried treasures, childhood memories, unrequited love, etc.) over and over again until "the chase" becomes the thing and not so much what you were chasing after.

I am curious: how is happiness tied to something which is rarely seen, if at all, and if it is seen invariable means failure, defeat, desaster or loss?
Old 21 May 2021, 11:22   #1214
Olaf Barthel

Quote:
The 1.4 Kickstart first loads the first 512K, which is the normal Kickstart. Then it loads the bonus code over the last 4K of the just loaded Kickstart image.

I can handle putting these files together and the tool you have on aminet can create such floppies. So all is good, if the last 4K are still unused.
I checked and there is plenty of room still (in excess of 20 KiBytes). The bonus code will fit and do its magic. Work is underway to make building the A3000-specific ROM file you would find on a regular SuperKickstart disk part of the production process.
Old 21 May 2021, 15:06   #1215
kamelito
Zone Friend

I’ve see a video and what is missing is a TCP/IP stack and an unarchiver (archiver) tools built in at least.
In that video we can see that French text are too long in some tools and so they don’t fit the gadget size.
Old 21 May 2021, 15:10   #1216
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
I’ve see a video and what is missing is a TCP/IP stack and an unarchiver (archiver) tools built in at least.
In that video we can see that French text are too long in some tools and so they don’t fit the gadget size.
I believe after users will report some feedback, there will come some 3.2.1 patch solving those small problems, like overflowing texts.

With TCP/IP stack I also noticed that, but it is probably not so easy to develop one and Roadshow is not fitting into current licence I think.
Old 21 May 2021, 15:15   #1217
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Could you please send me/post images of those places where you saw those excessively long text strings?

So that I can get them corrected for 3.2.1.

Thanks in advance.
Old 21 May 2021, 15:59   #1218
Phantasm
Not a Rebel anymore

Quote:

I'd rather the TCP stack was kept separate. I mainly use winuae these days which does not need a TCP stack and when I do use my real Amiga I'd rather have the choice as to which one I want.
Old 21 May 2021, 16:09   #1219
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
I am curious: how is happiness tied to something which is rarely seen, if at all, and if it is seen invariable means failure, defeat, desaster or loss?
It's hard or maybe even futile to debate this if the folklore surrounding the Amiga's inception is unimportant to you.

Me personally, I loved reading about all those quirky things that made the Amiga the Amiga back in the day.

That said, off course I am not happy about my system crashing.

But if it does crash, it makes me smile reading that "Guru Meditation at " text, remembering that little story about RJ Mical and Dave Needle sitting down on their weirdo Meditation Board to calm down after a crash and then realizing the machine I am working on was created by really amazing people, who loved what they were doing and had fun coming up with these little quirks.

For me these little things (Mac OS still has that shitty lo fi sample from back in the day on startup for instance) give character and life to something that otherwise strives to be a streamlined to the hilt experience.

That's all...
Old 21 May 2021, 16:29   #1220
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
I'd rather the TCP stack was kept separate. I mainly use winuae these days which does not need a TCP stack and when I do use my real Amiga I'd rather have the choice as to which one I want.
Which is one big reason why it isn't bundle. If you want RoadShow, go buy it, it isn't that difficult.