English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 16 June 2017, 14:22   #821
strim
NetBSD developer

Right, that makes sense.
Old 16 June 2017, 20:48   #822
Wrangler

@trixster - I'm no expert on this (as I have ably demonstrated earlier in this thread ) but from reading your posts it sounds like WarpOS programs are working but Warp-Up ones aren't? If that's the case, then it's time to focus on the WarpUP/graphics drivers etc. Can you get Cowcat's Blitzquake for 68k working? Gears 68k? (I don't think GearsPPC.exe is a good test though as I can't get that to work even though every other WarpOS/WarpUP prog works fine.)
Old 16 June 2017, 21:16   #823
trixster
Guru Meditating

Hi Wrangler!

I'm no expert too! We should start a club.

Yes, Stuff like CyberPi would appear to work on the PPC ok plus a few of the other small demo programs from the warpup archive. The voxel demo still appears to run on the 060 though, or at least it's on the ppc but is not using the sonnet's memory and is running slowly using the amiga's memory. I dont know at the moment.

The ram that's been supplied with my sonnet appears weird. the large stick only shows as 59mb in showconfig when it's by itself, the small stick as just 3mb when it's alone; when both are installed it shows 67mb! So is the ram knackered? or are the simm slots faulty? or is there a problem with the card and it cannot access the ram correctly? Or is there a software clash somewhere on my wb setup?

I guess we'l discover the latter when i do a clean install later this weekend.

In the interim im going to see if i can find some replacement ram.

Does anyone know exactly what to search fro on ebay?
Old 16 June 2017, 21:18   #824
strim
NetBSD developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
Does anyone know exactly what to search fro on ebay?
5V 168 pins FPM DIMMs 2K Refresh, as stated in README.md.
Old 16 June 2017, 21:32   #825
trixster
Guru Meditating

Well I never. I got blitzquake ppc working

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4936.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	495.4 KB
ID:	53461  
Old 16 June 2017, 21:47   #826
strim
NetBSD developer

Excellent, please share what was the cause of your issues. Someone in the future might run into same problems
Old 16 June 2017, 21:53   #827
Wrangler

I'm also curious if gearsppc.exe works for you since it doesn't for me despite all my efforts.

PS it does seem like you've got a hardware problem going on with the memory size reports. I know the mem counter on workbench doesn't go up by the full amount of whatever DIMMs you have in the Sonnet as the lib grabs some for itself, but I believe showconfig should show the correct amount. Maybe Strim/Hedeon/Grelbfarlk could comment

Last edited by Wrangler; 16 June 2017 at 22:06. Reason: Added PS
Old 16 June 2017, 22:05   #828
trixster
Guru Meditating

I re-ran BuildMMUConfig.rexx with the sonnet initialised. I then changed the two entries which seemed to coincide with the two MemSpace entries in pciinfo to cacheinhibit as they defaulted to copyback. I then reinstalled the warp3d ppc libraries. It only seems to work with the big simm in slot 1 and the small simm in slot 2. any other combination seems to fail. No idea why. I suspect the simms are a bit ropey.

The quakeppc menu shows graphical corruption but the games plays perfectly and smoothly. timedemo demo1 is 41fps at 640x480. is that broadly correct?

Everything still runs ok with all the random patches i disabled now working again.

There are still some issues - I cannot get quakeppc to run windowed, i get an Exception: Data Storage now. Nor will Quake2PPC run but i think maybe there is not enough ram on the sonnet.
Gearsppc runs fine both full screen and windowed.

Wipeout2097 runs beautifully but only in a window - i cannot set it to run fullscreen for some reason. I think I need to use Medication to sort out the screenmodes as PVS says there are no p96 monitor drivers!

I have yet to try MAME, MESS or scummvm WOS, they're jobs for tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help folks, it's really appreciated!

Last edited by trixster; 16 June 2017 at 23:55.
Old 16 June 2017, 23:53   #829
grelbfarlk

Quote:
I re-ran BuildMMUConfig.rexx with the sonnet initialised. I then changed the two entries which seemed to coincide with the two MemSpace entries in pciinfo to cacheinhibit as they defaulted to copyback. I then reinstalled the warp3d ppc libraries. It only seems to work with the big simm in slot 1 and the small simm in slot 2. any other combination seems to fail. No idea why. I suspect the simms are a bit ropey.

The quakeppc menu shows graphical corruption but the games plays perfectly and smoothly. timedemo demo1 is 41fps at 640x480. is that broadly correct?

Everything still runs ok with all the random patches i disabled now working again.

There are still some issues - I cannot get quakeppc to run windowed, i get an Exception: Data Storage now. Nor will Quake2PPC run but i think maybe there is not enough ram on the sonnet.
Gearsppc runs fine both full screen and windowed.

Wipeout2097 runs beautifully but only in a window - i cannot set it to run fullscreen for some reason.

41 FPS @ 640x480 on QuakeGL is about right, not really sure why Quake 2 is so much faster but that is correct. Remove that second SIMM.

Don't know about windowed modes, I never use them.

Make sure you are using AHI mode for Wipeout and your Music Unit and Unit 1 are set to Paula 8-Bit DMA. I vaguely recall having an issue with this early on. Wipeout doesn't like 'funny' screenmodes as I recall, have to use 'standard' modes like 640x480 and has a screenmode selector, choose a 640x480x16 PC mode.
Old 16 June 2017, 23:59   #830
trixster
Guru Meditating

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
41 FPS @ 640x480 on QuakeGL is about right, not really sure why Quake 2 is so much faster but that is correct. Remove that second SIMM.

Don't know about windowed modes, I never use them.

Make sure you are using AHI mode for Wipeout and your Music Unit and Unit 1 are set to Paula 8-Bit DMA. I vaguely recall having an issue with this early on. Wipeout doesn't like 'funny' screenmodes as I recall, have to use 'standard' modes like 640x480 and has a screenmode selector, choose a 640x480x16 PC mode.
Sounds in wipeout are working fine (although it won't stream cd audio for some reason), both music unit and unit 1 are Paula 8bit Dma. The screenmode selector does not appear for some reason so I cannot select a mode, hence only being able to run windowed at the moment.

Edit:

Medication fixed it - used showmodes all. now a screenmode requester appears. it looks good in 640x480!

Last edited by trixster; 17 June 2017 at 00:12.
Old 17 June 2017, 00:09   #831
spudje

How is your CDaudio cable connected?
Old 17 June 2017, 00:12   #832
trixster
Guru Meditating

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
How is your CDaudio cable connected?
cdrom to cdda in on the soundblaster. is this correct?
Old 17 June 2017, 00:35   #833
strim
NetBSD developer

Did you try connecting to CDDA header on Amiga main board (assuming you have A4000) ?
Old 17 June 2017, 01:10   #834
grelbfarlk

Quote:
cdrom to cdda in on the soundblaster. is this correct?
Ok well that could work, assuming you have speakers connected to your Soundblaster. What I do is have CD-Audio going to A4000 Motherboard, then Amiga Audio going to Line-in on Soundblaster and Soundblaster connects to speakers.
Old 17 June 2017, 01:22   #835
trixster
Guru Meditating

My setup works insomuch that if I use the workbench PlayCd program I can play CDs just fine, but neither quake nor wipeout cd audio tracks seem to work.

Tbh I never realised that the motherboard had a cd audio header. Observant, me.
Old 17 June 2017, 01:32   #836
grelbfarlk

Quote:
My setup works insomuch that if I use the workbench PlayCd program I can play CDs just fine, but neither quake nor wipeout cd audio tracks seem to work.

Tbh I never realised that the motherboard had a cd audio header. Observant, me.
For that stuff, you're going to need to configure the applications to see your CD-Drive, maybe you have done this already? Like for Quake2, I would set it up in the GUI under the audio section to use cybppc.device unit=5 (my SCSI DVD drive). PlayCD I think is smart enough to scan for CD/DVD drives and pick one.
Old 17 June 2017, 08:38   #837
Wrangler

Trixster, is the environment variable Picasso96/Showmodes set to All? I seem to recall that without that setting some games like Wipeout won't show the screenmode requester, but the default value is something else...
Old 17 June 2017, 08:50   #838
trixster
Guru Meditating

It is now! And the screenmode requester now appears!

Managed to get cowcat's Quake 2 WOS working this morning and ScummVM WOS. COMI loads ok but the intro video is choppy (streaming from the sd card is slow) and the audio runs ahead of the game which lags a little. But it's better than ScummVM AGA that's for sure!

I'd love to see an os4 conversion of Quake 3, that would be something.

And whilst I'm wishing, I can dream of playing Unreal too.

Any hint on where to place a neogeo bios in neomame? In the games /Roms directory? Zipped or in-zipped? Any particular bios file or naming convention?

Last edited by trixster; 17 June 2017 at 17:06.
Old 17 June 2017, 16:20   #839
kev
Banned

cough cough half life
Old 17 June 2017, 16:29   #840
Wrangler

Let's start with QuakeLife - the engine is already up and running...