English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 18 April 2011, 23:52   #1
Dr.Venom

Sound bug in Jim Power

There's a sound bug in the game Jim Power. The high pitched sound that you hear when your bullet hits an enemy is distorted very slightly in comparison to the sound on a real amiga.

Testing with older versions of WinUAE shows that this sound bug seems to have been introduced in WinUAE > 2.2.0. Last good version is 2.2.0.

I've attached two sound samples in the attached jim_power_sound.zip to illustrate.

Output1.mp3 is from latest beta: high pitched sound of bullets hitting enemy is wrong / slightly distorted.
Output2.mp3 is from WinUAE 2.2.0: high pitched sound of bullets hitting enemy is correct / clean.

Best,
Attached Files
File Type: zip jim_power_sound.zip (434.3 KB, 285 views)

Last edited by Dr.Venom; 17 May 2011 at 21:10.
Old 19 April 2011, 15:24   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Obviously not 2.3.2 beta related..

Not enough information. Which configuration? (make sure it is quickstart configuration tested). Compared to which kind of real Amiga? 100% confirmed tested using exact same images?

EDIT: I need answers to above questions because simple looking bugs may not be simple bugs or bugs at all. Bad configuration may become incompatible, game may have bugs that only happen with specific configuration (including real Amigas) etc..
Old 25 April 2011, 03:11   #3
Dr.Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni_Wilen
Obviously not 2.3.2 beta related..

Not enough information. Which configuration? (make sure it is quickstart configuration tested). Compared to which kind of real Amiga? 100% confirmed tested using exact same images?
This was tested versus a real A1200/060. I've been using an ADF image versus a WHDLoad install on the real Amiga.

Testing between the different WinUAE versions from 2.2.0 up until the recent versions shows the sound distortion becoming less (or sounding different at least) since you've fixed the sound issues with Agony some betas ago. To me it seems comparable to that issue / DMA timing issue if I remember correctly.

Nonetheless, I'll come back once tested with same disk images and also see if I can test with and without the Phase5 060 board enabled.

Last edited by Dr.Venom; 17 May 2011 at 21:11.
Old 25 April 2011, 10:06   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Only acceptable comparison when talking about A500 games: real A500 and emulated A500 in cycle exact mode.

Anything else is invalid due to emulated CPU speed differences which can and will cause all kinds of sound related side-effects due to most games having bad "DMA wait" delay loops.
Old 25 April 2011, 12:14   #5
Dr.Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by toni_wilen
Only acceptable comparison when talking about A500 games: real A500 and emulated A500 in cycle exact mode.

Anything else is invalid due to emulated CPU speed differences which can and will cause all kinds of sound related side-effects due to most games having bad "DMA wait" delay loops.
OK fair enough.

Sadly I don't own an A500 anymore. I did play this game to death though and practically know it by heart. With the post 2.2.0 versions I immediately recognized the pitch shift from how it should sound and did sound on WinUAE <= 2.2.0. I tried to objectify this for you by comparing to my only real Amiga I currently have, the 1200/060. IMHO the two sound examples I attached are spot on in the right and wrong sound. It's easily tested by simply loading up the first level and about two seconds in the game you can replicate the situation I used for the sound attachments. I do understand you're not going to test every idiots "bug report", and I wish I still got a an A500 to prove it to you. But unfortunately I don't

What if we made a bet on it? If you could spend 10 minutes on listening to the difference yourself, and if I'm wrong then what about me sending you a VGA to SCART cable from Wolfsoft.de (which even has the RGB pin powered by USB) to attach a real Amiga monitor to your PC test setup. You can buy these monitors real cheap these days from any local marketplace... And if I'm right, what about me still sending you a VGA to SCART cable from Wolfsoft.de? ...

Deal?

P.S. The small print. According to the site of soft15khz (http://community.arcadeinfo.de/showthread.php?p=59291) only graphic cards up to AMD Radeon HD 4870 are currently tested as compatible (http://community.arcadeinfo.de/showt...?t=7925&page=5). I solved this by having a HD 6870-OC in my first PCI-E slot as my primary card for modern day computing, and a passively cooled HD4850 in the second slot, attached to my old Amiga monitor for oldskool emulation purposes. I can't recommend such a setup enough as it enabled a high resolution workbench on the primary monitor (24 inch HD LED) and having the *exact* same display for games and demos as we were used to back in the oldskool days on the second monitor. It's very cool with WinUAE.

link: http://www.wolfsoft.de/shop/product_...tecker-2m.html

Last edited by Dr.Venom; 17 May 2011 at 21:13.
Old 26 May 2011, 21:46   #6
Dr.Venom

Hi Toni,

I've done additional testing on this with Beta 7, quickstart configs and same disks and have to conclude that it doesn't seem to be a bug. Sorry about that (and also being a little too overconfident that it was a bug...) So forget about the attached soundsamples, it must have been in my test configs somewhere.