English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.AmigaOS

Old 13 January 2023, 02:45   #1
pngcan

AmigaOS 3.2

I just loaded 3.2.1 and none of my assigns work anymore. OS3.2.1 fails when it calls the user-startup indicating "assign failed return code 20" I muted the assigns in the user-startup (semicolons) and it booted fine. I went back into user start up and edited it with one of my previous assigns, rebooted and it failed again at that assign. I checked the startup sequence and it is correctly calling the user-startup so I don't get it. It worked fine under 3.9.
I created a new assign to see if it will work off another program and it failed again with a return code 20. What gives. 3.2 won't recognize assigns in the user-startup? Do I have to add assigns in the startup sequence? What am I missing. Thanks for any help friends.
Old 13 January 2023, 04:24   #2
QuikSanz

Post the assign and we can look and see.

Chris
Old 13 January 2023, 09:45   #3
thomas

Yes, and also remove >NIL: from the command line so that it can tell us why it fails.
Old 14 January 2023, 01:57   #4
pngcan

Okay friends, sorry for the delay in getting to this, been a bit busy. So my user-start up has been essentially the same for a couple of years now under OS3.9. No Problems. I upgrade to 3.2.1 roms and then install 3.2 and the boot fails at the assigns. I did not create new assigns, I did nothing with the user-startup yet 3.2 fail at the very same assigns that were working prior under 3.9. I tried editing the startup-sequence just prior to its call to the user-startup and typed in one of the assigns that was in the user startup and the boot failed there with a code 20 as well. So it looks like any assign is failing with this 3.2 install. But that can't be, right? Well here is a copy of the 3.9 user-startup attached as a PDF.(it has been semi coloned out so 3.2 will boot) Thanks again for your help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 3.9 User-Startup.pdf (20.0 KB, 64 views)
Old 14 January 2023, 07:34   #5
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

First, check if your assigned paths are correct and exist.

Secondly, the only problem I see is in the last line:
;Assign >NIL: GQ2.GRAC2 Apps:GQ2/GQ2.GRAC2

That should be:
Assign >NIL: GQ2.GRAC2: Apps:GQ2/GQ2.GRAC2
Old 14 January 2023, 09:07   #6
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfilos View Post
That should be:
Assign >NIL: GQ2.GRAC2: Apps:GQ2/GQ2.GRAC2

No, it should be:
Assign GQ2.GRAC2: Apps:GQ2/GQ2.GRAC2[/QUOTE]

Assign does not output anything. >NIL: only hides potential error messages which would help to resolve the problem.

You never need >NIL: on Assign.
Old 14 January 2023, 12:58   #7
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
No, it should be:
Assign GQ2.GRAC2: Apps:GQ2/GQ2.GRAC2
Assign does not output anything. >NIL: only hides potential error messages which would help to resolve the problem.
You never need >NIL: on Assign.
Good to know Thomas.
All ClassicWB packages used Assign >NIL: so I thought it was no problem to have it so when I saw the ":" missing from the last line's declaration I corrected that.
Old 14 January 2023, 15:43   #8
pngcan

Thanks for your help and time friends. Yes all the paths are correct and exist. I did nothing to change them. All I did was install 3.2 over my existing 3.9. During the 3.2 install it saves the 3.9 startup sequence to an "Old" folder and installs its own but keeps the existing user-startup untouched. So nothing changes in the existing user-startup. I just don't get it. I am going to compare the 3.2 to 3.9 startup-sequence and see if there is anything there, but I doubt it because they both call the user-startup just before calling the workbench, and the assigns are in the user-startup and that is where the boot fails in 3.2. If that doesn't do it, I will try reinstalling 3.9 over the 3.2 again and see if it will return to the working condition. As I understand it I should be able to keep the 3.2 ROMs in for the 3.9 reinstall. Oh and with respect to the last assign, it was created with AddAssign from Trogladite and it worked - weird. I have registered with Hyperion, just waiting for them to let me in ;-), and I will seek their input as well. This isn't making sense, the problem has to be in either the startup sequence or the user-startup and I'm not seeing anything there that would do it.

Last edited by pngcan; 14 January 2023 at 15:56.
Old 14 January 2023, 16:10   #9
AMIGASYSTEM

Installing OS3.2 over OS3.9 is a bad idea, the two systems have differences, so you will always encounter problems and incompatibility

3.2 must be installed on a clean Hardisk with no other OS, only then will you have maximum efficiency and compatibility.
Old 14 January 2023, 17:23   #10
pngcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Installing OS3.2 over OS3.9 is a bad idea, the two systems have differences, so you will always encounter problems and incompatibility

3.2 must be installed on a clean Hardisk with no other OS, only then will you have maximum efficiency and compatibility.

That's what I was afraid of AMIGASYSTEM, I was hoping to avoid that but that may be the last resort
Old 14 January 2023, 23:05   #11
pngcan

Well, I copied my Sys: partition onto a CF card wiped the 3.9 sys partition and did a clean 3.2 install. I copied in the old user-startup and .......... fail code 20 at the assigns. Okay I deleted the old user-startup left the new one without any assigns in. I installed the internet software from 3.9 which creates an assign for amitcp. Booted 3.2 and YES it booted to workbench. I looked at the user-startup and it is the exact same assign that was on the old user startup, but this time it works. So I reloaded the other software - MUI, MainActor DOpus and it created new assigns in the new user-startup and sure enough they work. Again, exact same assigns as in the old but now they work. So it appears 3.2 must have it's own user startup I guess. But when I use AddAssign to create the assign for the game I am developing (GQ series) the boot fails again at that assign. The old Assign that worked under 3.9 = Assign >NIL: GQ2.GRAC2: Apps:GQ2/GQ2.GRAC2 - no go, but 3.2 recognizes this version of the assign = Assign GQ2.GRAC2: "Apps:GQ2/GQ2.GRAC2" however, unfortunately GRAC2 does not recognize that assign and the game doesn't open... oye vey! But at least 3.2 is booting to workbench and recognizing the assigns in the user-startup it created. Now I jut need to find a way to get the GRAC2 developed game to open on any partition, not just the one it was developed in. Thanks for the help again friends
Old 15 January 2023, 11:28   #12
AMIGASYSTEM

There is no compatibility difference between OS 3.9 user-startup with OS 3.2 one, probably in OS 3.9 one there will be some wrong command or corruption in the text.

About your game could you attach it somewhere so that I or some other user can test the assignment !

Try running the game from a script and add this assign:

Assign >NIL: GQ2.GRAC2: ""
Games

Or

Assign >NIL: GQ2.GRAC2: ""
CD GQ2.GRAC2:
games

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 15 January 2023 at 11:39.
Old 15 January 2023, 16:20   #13
daxb

Why do you need an assign for your game? Usually there is no need for it and PROGDIR: still exists.

About your U-S assign problems. Maybe you have some non visible chars that causes the error.
Old 15 January 2023, 22:30   #14
pngcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
Why do you need an assign for your game? Usually there is no need for it and PROGDIR: still exists.

About your U-S assign problems. Maybe you have some non visible chars that causes the error.

Hi daxb, I created the game using Edmond Clay's GRAC2. When developing it GRAC2 creates its own path (the one your are working in - for example Work: GAME FOLDER/) and then all individual files - rooms, pictures, sounds, anims, objects characters etc are all stamped with that path so the game executable only looks there. You would think an assign would work but it does not. Edmond Clay wrote an installer for the games he developed (Lethal Formula, The Experiment etc) that when selected copies the files from the original development folder path to the partition the player wishes to play in and somehow modifies the game executable to work from the new partition. The problem with that one is it was developed for a floppy disk game (under 800kb) so it didn't matter what the name of the disk was. My games are in the teensMB (GQ2=16MB) so if the player doesn't have a partition named the same as the one I developed the game in (Work: ) that install program won't work. The only thing I can think of is to make a Work:hdf image for distribution. That way the player can just mount it using one of the many mounting programs in Aminet and if they have a Work partition already, just drag the game folder to that, or if they don't have a Work: partition they can play directly from the mounted image or use the Edmond Clay installer (included) and create a folder on any other partition to work from. YIKES! Complicated! sorry for the long reply. I wonder if Edmond is still around and still cares about Amiga to think of a solution?

Last edited by pngcan; 15 January 2023 at 22:44.
Old 15 January 2023, 23:48   #15
ma693541
Computer Wizard

Hm. @pngcan. Your posts here are a bit unclear. Thread starts with AmigaOS3.2 under support AmigaOS, but in post #1 you said loaded 3.2.1, What? AmigaOS3.2.1 and do you use Kickstart 3.2.1 for it or is it in your post #4 that you use AmigaOS3.2 on your upgraded Kickstart 3.2.1??
Old 16 January 2023, 01:20   #16
pngcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma693541 View Post
Hm. @pngcan. Your posts here are a bit unclear. Thread starts with AmigaOS3.2 under support AmigaOS, but in post #1 you said loaded 3.2.1, What? AmigaOS3.2.1 and do you use Kickstart 3.2.1 for it or is it in your post #4 that you use AmigaOS3.2 on your upgraded Kickstart 3.2.1??

Original OS was 3.9
Installed 3.2 over 3.9
Installed 3.2.1 upgrade
Thus new install is 3.2.1
The 3.2.1 upgrade on 4 floppy disks is included with the 3.2 CD.
First install 3.2, then upgrade with 3.2.1.
Old 16 January 2023, 11:15   #17
ma693541
Computer Wizard

Yes, but did you take in use the new Kickstart 3.2.1 before upgrading from 3.2 to 3.2.1 and never try to upgrade from 3.9 to 3.2, that wouldn't work as AMIGASYSTEM stated in #9? The 3.9 are a bit different than the new 3.2 or 3.2.1 and the 3.2 and 3.2.1 are different than 3.1.4 and 3.1.4.1. When did you buy this 3.2 CD, because my 3.2 CD does not have this 4 floppy disks upgrade to 3.2.1? When the 3.2.1 upgrade came out you had to download it from the Hyperion site.
Old 16 January 2023, 13:49   #18
pngcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma693541 View Post
Yes, but did you take in use the new Kickstart 3.2.1 before upgrading from 3.2 to 3.2.1 and never try to upgrade from 3.9 to 3.2, that wouldn't work as AMIGASYSTEM stated in #9? The 3.9 are a bit different than the new 3.2 or 3.2.1 and the 3.2 and 3.2.1 are different than 3.1.4 and 3.1.4.1. When did you buy this 3.2 CD, because my 3.2 CD does not have this 4 floppy disks upgrade to 3.2.1? When the 3.2.1 upgrade came out you had to download it from the Hyperion site.
Hello ma693541, yes that appeared to be the problem, upgrading from 3.9 to 3.2 then to 3.2.1. When I wiped the sys partition and did a 3.2 clean install then a 3.2.1 upgrade and then reinstalled the programs everything worked fine. I bought my 3.2 CD from Retro Rewind last summer and I also bought the 3.2.1 upgrade disks from them.
Old 16 January 2023, 15:00   #19
thomas

You need to understand that there are two branches, both based on 3.1.

One branch is 3.5, 3.9 with a dead end because the source code is lost.

The other branch is 3.1.4, 3.2 and onwards.

So from 3.9 to 3.2 is not an upgrade but rather a side-grade which is not supported.
Old 17 January 2023, 00:25   #20
pngcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
You need to understand that there are two branches, both based on 3.1.

One branch is 3.5, 3.9 with a dead end because the source code is lost.

The other branch is 3.1.4, 3.2 and onwards.

So from 3.9 to 3.2 is not an upgrade but rather a side-grade which is not supported.

Yes thanks Thomas, I have come to understand that. Although 3.9 worked very well for me for years, what I found frustrating is the soft rom reboot for 3.9 to run. I found with some games and programs that when I quit them it would not return to workbench, rather it would try to reboot the system, raise a guru error and then reboot. With 3.2 .1 I am finding some of my long time workbench programs like tools daemon, magic menu are not working properly. They either freeze or don't work and then hang the system. Even with a fresh reinstall they still do not work consistently. But the dock from 3.9 works great.