English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 15 February 2020, 20:02   #1
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Legacy RPG demo

Legacy is an old school dungeon crawler RPG, that was originally released for PDA devices by Redshift in 2003. An Amiga version was in planned since 2013 when the current owners obtained the rights for it. I got involved in 2017, and ported the original game to the Amiga, but unfortunately it never got published. Recently I tried to buy the rights to self-publish this Amiga port from the current holders (I'm not talking about Redshift), but alas I got rejected. At least they weren't against me uploading a Demo version, so I'm doing that instead.
I wrote a small FAQ regarding the Demo, but I won't be able to provide a lot of support as I'm not working on it anymore (I left in early 2019). Please don't contact Redshift regarding the Amiga version, as they sold the rights to it and weren't involved in making it, but you can buy the PDA or Windows version from them (the save files are compatible, so you can continue your game).
On the other hand, if you have a PDA game you would like to be ported to the Amiga, don't hesitate to contact me

FAQ

What are the demo limitations?
You can't leave the first city, and your party members have a level 6 cap.

How can I register the game?
The demo can't be registered.

When will the full version be released?
I don't know, I'm no longer involved with the project.

Who owns the rights to the game?
I'd rather not discuss this, as I don't want to cause them any trouble.

What do I need to run the demo?
The minimum config is an A1200 (Kick 3.0) + 4 MB Fast RAM + HDD or an ECS Amiga (1 MB Chip RAM) + 020 CPU + 4 MB Fast RAM + Kick 3.1 + HDD. If you don't have a graphics card you should also install BlazeWCP for Workbench 3.1:
http://aminet.net/package/util/boot/Blazewcp
Workbench 3.0 users can use SystemPatch:
http://aminet.net/package/util/boot/SystemPatch299
The game will warn you if either of these are needed.

Why does the game uses chunky graphics?
It relies on the extensive use of palette remapping, which is not possible to do with planar bitmaps in real-time, as you can't access individual pixels. Most bitmaps go through multiple passes of remapping, and all the different combinations (including the scaled versions) just wouldn't fit in the chip ram.

Why didn't you include C2P in the game?
Most public domain C2P routines were not suitable for dirty-rectangle style partial updates. Since BlazeWCP already does a very good job, and it's included with many Workbench environments (e.g. ClassicWB), I saw no reason to re-invent the wheel to bloat the executable further.

Is there a version for NG systems (AmigaOS4, MorphOS)?
There is no native version, but the game is system friendly so it should run reasonably well on these systems.

What are the two executables (dungeon and dungeon-hires)?
One runs in 320x240, the other in 640x400 (or 640x480 on NG machines). The latter is primarily targeted at RTG cards.

Why is the "hires" version not running in full screen?
The actual resolution is 480x320, which corresponds to Palm Hi-res+ (landscape). The game only has UI layouts and graphics for a fixed set of PDA resolutions, and this is the highest supported.

Can I play in a window?
On high color (15-bit) or higher RTG screens you can enable the "WINDOWED" tool type in the icon. On 256 color or lower screens the game will fall back to full screen mode.

Why is the mouse cursor brown, even though that's barely visible?
Your RTG driver doesn't support changing the sprite colors. If your graphics card supports high or true color modes you can try playing in a window instead.

What are the control options?
The primary input device is the mouse, but you can use the keyboard arrows to move around. There are also context-sensitive keyboard shortcuts, but these are not documented very well. I started adding joystick support too, but that's quite rudimentary, the mouse is still required at places.

Where can I get this Demo?
http://bszili.morphos.me/ports/legacydemo.lha

I'm lost, is there a map for the game?
Since the demo is quite short I recommend taking your time, but if you really don't know where to go, there's an excellent set of maps made by Markus Birth, Mervin and Rainer Gottwald. It's no longer online (at least I couldn't find it), but the sources are still available on GitHub. I made my own corrections to it, and uploaded it to my site:
http://bszili.morphos.me/stuff/redsh...legacymap.html

Last edited by BSzili; 23 February 2020 at 21:25. Reason: FAQ update
Old 15 February 2020, 23:34   #2
utri007
mä vaan

Looks great, thanks.
Old 16 February 2020, 00:11   #3
zzbylu
Saberman

and little gameplay
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 16 February 2020, 09:34   #4
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Thanks. You were pretty brave venturing into a dungeon alone right away Also I should have mentioned this in the FAQ: you can move around with the keyboard arrow keys too.
Old 16 February 2020, 12:13   #5
Solo Kazuki

Nice game, but it's sadthat Amiga version is only as demo. I hope someday You get acceptation (and some motivation) to finish game.

I've played for some time, but have problem with cellar quest. I cannot find crucifix, is there some false wall or something?
Old 16 February 2020, 12:30   #6
BSzili
old chunk of coal

To clarify the situation, the port is 100% complete. During the development I played through the base game and beat most of the official and unofficial expansions on the Amiga. I made demo executables specifically for this "release", because couldn't secure the rights to publish the full version.
As for the cellar quest, I think you have to press a hidden switch on a wall, which will open a room with the crucifix. It's not easy to spot, but look of it in obvious dead-ends.

Last edited by BSzili; 16 February 2020 at 12:43.
Old 16 February 2020, 12:51   #7
manossg

This looks great. I hope we will be able to purchase the Amiga version soon!
Old 16 February 2020, 13:02   #8
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Looks amazing. And what a sad legal situation this is in... :/
Old 16 February 2020, 14:06   #9
DamienD
Banned

Heya BSzil,

Thanks for this

Real shame that you're not allowed to release the full Amiga port.

Just for information so that I can update this thread; the Amiga version is a port of the PDA or the Windows version?
Old 16 February 2020, 14:14   #10
BSzili
old chunk of coal

The PDA version. The Windows version is a port of the PDA version too, running on some kind of compatibility layer. My port is native though
Old 16 February 2020, 15:39   #11
ExiE

The demo looks really good. Great job man!
I'm just curious, missing music and limited number of sounds ingame are due chip ram limitations or not included in the PDA version of the game either.
(I missed the sound of rain the most)
Old 16 February 2020, 15:54   #12
DamienD
Banned

For anyone that wants it; I've created a bare-bones / self-booting .HDF

Grab it from here: /~Uploads/DamienD/HDFs/Legacy HDF.rar
Old 16 February 2020, 16:15   #13
DamienD
Banned

The Ports / Conversions --> Amiga thread has now updated
Old 16 February 2020, 16:21   #14
Solo Kazuki

I don't think so that Chip RAM is limitation, because Hi-Res version is working fine on AGA and, you know, it's BSzili work so for him is nothing to put to Fast RAM as much as possible (i suppose)

Is possibility to center picture in Hi-Res version on AGA? Is CD32 control also available in full version?

Last edited by Solo Kazuki; 16 February 2020 at 16:55.
Old 16 February 2020, 17:34   #15
zzbylu
Saberman

and little gameplay - hires-demo:
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 16 February 2020, 18:48   #16
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

I wonder if there is a way to patch this to full game.. like changing the WAD file on Doom etc?? ;-) I bought this years ago.. loved the game
Old 16 February 2020, 18:55   #17
McTrinsic

Played it on Palm back then.
Wish there was a way to patch it.
Old 16 February 2020, 19:16   #18
mailman
Zone Friend

Why were you rejected with buying the rights? Maybe you were misinterpreted and they thought you just want it released without paying?
Old 16 February 2020, 19:51   #19
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiE View Post
The demo looks really good. Great job man!
I'm just curious, missing music and limited number of sounds ingame are due chip ram limitations or not included in the PDA version of the game either.
(I missed the sound of rain the most)
The original game has no music, except for one MIDI tune in the main menu I was too lazy to convert As for the sound effects they are quite sparse in the PDA version too. The Amiga version has an additional limitation of using only two channels (technically both play the same sound, one left one right), but I did my best to mask it with a priority based system (UI sounds < footsteps < ambience < everything else). Sounds are loaded dynamically when they are used, so the game uses relatively little chip ram. In the low res (320x240) mode it only needs 1 MB, if you have a graphics card even less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
Why were you rejected with buying the rights? Maybe you were misinterpreted and they thought you just want it released without paying?
There was no such a misunderstanding, they knew I was ready to reach deep into my pocket, so it wasn't about the money.

Last edited by BSzili; 16 February 2020 at 22:15.
Old 16 February 2020, 22:56   #20
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSzili View Post
There was no such a misunderstanding, they knew I was ready to reach deep into my pocket, so it wasn't about the money.
A real shame considering you've worked hard and have the full game ready to go

...so, if it's not about money, why is this company so reluctant to allow a port on an old 30 year old computer system then?

Seems crazy IMHO