English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 02 October 2020, 21:33   #1
Steffest

Detect Amiga 68k Executable

Hey!

I'm building a mix-n-match system where you can access files from different platforms. The plan is to detect what type of file you're working with and then automatically perform a meaningful action.

In the case of an Amiga executable, it should fire up an Amiga Emulator, mount the volume the file is located on and execute the file.

Thing is: how do you detect an Amiga executable?
Does this approach makes sense:
- check if there's an .info file attached that has the executable flag set
- check if the file starts with 000003F300000000
- Check if the file starts with the ELF header

for the ELF header: How do you know the binary is for the 68k platform and not some unix type x86 flavour?
Old 02 October 2020, 21:41   #2
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

68k AmigaOS uses Hunk files, not ELF. Only the next-gen Amiga systems use the ELF format.
Old 02 October 2020, 21:44   #3
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
check if the file starts with 000003F300000000
that

But your auto mount & winuae execute thing will fail if the executable needs assigns, or a given CPU to work. You could detect shell scripts as well. At least the ones starting with

Code:
.key
that's how I have configured classaction to detect scripts (of course the ".key" keyword must be present)
Old 02 October 2020, 21:59   #4
Steffest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
that

But your auto mount & winuae execute thing will fail if the executable needs assigns, or a given CPU to work. You could detect shell scripts as well. At least the ones starting with

Code:
.key
that's how I have configured classaction to detect scripts (of course the ".key" keyword must be present)
Thanks!
Indeed - it's a best effort and it will sometimes fail.
The main goal is to have an easy to use system to parse thousands of ADF files, scanning the content, trying to determine what's on them.
There are far to many to do that by hand, so if it at least could make a rough first index, listing the DOS disks with percentages of file type (pictures, executables, music mods, text files, ...) that would already be very useful.

Then I can check the interesting ones manually.
Most data files can then be opened directly or copied to the local filesystem, and for executables I mount the ADF file in an emulator to run the exe, or just boot the disk.

Last edited by Steffest; 02 October 2020 at 22:24.