English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 13 October 2020, 09:57   #21
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
I tried to search "Amiga Mini" on youtube .... i see nothing recent

Am i missing something ?
It only had a tease photo on the ‘TheC64’ Facebook page, there is no other info atm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
Trying to stay positive on the subject:

It may provide for an Amiga type case for a Raspberry Pi (at a premum price though).

If the "Amiga Maxi", like the C64 Maxi gets released, it will help us all to get case and keyboard repacements for our Amigas.
I don’t know why people are ‘struggling’ to stay positive, not every piece of new hardware is/will be aimed at you, even if its not then its still a positive for the Amiga scene do you not think?

Plus regarding full size cases, even if they do a Maxi Amiga, i very much doubt the disk drive slot (or any other rear slot) will be the same as they will be replaced with USB, HDMi ports etc
Old 13 October 2020, 10:20   #22
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
I don’t know why people are ‘struggling’ to stay positive, not every piece of new hardware is/will be aimed at you, even if its not then its still a positive for the Amiga scene do you not think?
That depends on what the quality of the final product is.

TheC64 was reported to have some lag/sync problems but ultimately must've been good enough for casual users, because they sold enough of them to warrant the Maxi, and now this Amiga one.

PSX Mini didn't go down too well, not entirely sure if it was justified, but ultimately it ended up with bad rep for Sony.

Amiga Mini might be tricky to pull off, for reasons already mentioned in this thread (legality, complexity, etc). I very much doubt it will be a Maxi model, costs of such pile of plastic would be just too big (I might be wrong thou).

So if they manage to pull off a well-executed Mini, yes, it could be a good thing for the community. Definitely not for me, but if people enjoy using it then you can't really argue with that. Otherwise...well.
Old 13 October 2020, 10:49   #23
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:

Am i missing something ?
No, because as I said, nothing has been announced yet.
Old 13 October 2020, 11:12   #24
ransom1122

Only thing that has been announced is that 1 jpg of a shadowy looking 500.

Nothing else....
Old 13 October 2020, 11:15   #25
Steffest

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum8 View Post
Pretty standard really.
And can you blame them/us?

There's only so many times you can hold out a carrot that turns out to be just vapor before the audience goes "meh..." when yet another carrot appears.
Old 13 October 2020, 13:09   #26
stevelord

Quote:

Because the guy behind this is a copyright troll sifting through long dead names to make money off unsuspecting nostalgic punters while threatening people who've been working on things for years. It makes sense that Andrews should show up in the Amiga space, he'd give Cloanto a run for their money.
Old 13 October 2020, 13:10   #27
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Quote:

Am i missing something ?
That's because it was never announced via Youtube

Besides it's still a big question mark over this announcement
Old 13 October 2020, 13:28   #28
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelord View Post
Because the guy behind this is a copyright troll sifting through long dead names to make money off unsuspecting nostalgic punters while threatening people who've been working on things for years. It makes sense that Andrews should show up in the Amiga space, he'd give Cloanto a run for their money.
I know the back-story, tbh i keep out of any politics in gaming, plus if you knew about every dick working in every company you would never buy anything again!

Besides, there is more than one person in the team, i won’t begrudge them a sale because of someone else.

As i said a few months ago, if anyone can make an Amiga Mini with copyrights and all, it would be these guys.
Old 13 October 2020, 14:32   #29
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:

Plus regarding full size cases, even if they do a Maxi Amiga, i very much doubt the disk drive slot (or any other rear slot) will be the same as they will be replaced with USB, HDMi ports etc
Please "struggle" a bit more to stay positive: a Maxi Amiga could come out, and rear ports are fairly easy to mod.
Old 13 October 2020, 15:55   #30
Amiga1992

Quote:
I know the back-story, tbh i keep out of any politics in gaming
Being an abhorrent human being is not "politics", it's about decency.
But the moral fiber of basically the whole retro computing scene seems to be the size of a pea. As long as people get the product, service or whatever they desire, they're very easy to give a pass to anyone.

Case in point:
Quote:
if you knew about every dick working in every company you would never buy anything again!
That is also why copyright trolls like this dude or Cloanto thrive instead of disappearing.

And by the way, for this to happen "legally", the two copyright trolls will have to work in cahoots, because this thing will need a Kickstart. So welcome to the Copyright Troll Superproduct!
Old 13 October 2020, 16:07   #31
d4rk3lf

I am not familiar with these mini versions of retro comps and consoles.

What I am most interested in:
Will this support only predefined games, or user could download and play any game he like?

If I understand correctly SNES mini had only predefined games, and you couldn't play the whole library, and that's just stupid for me.
Old 13 October 2020, 16:10   #32
chip

As you, i really don't know .... interesting question

And i agree, if no additional games can be added, it's a stupid thing
Old 13 October 2020, 16:35   #33
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Being an abhorrent human being is not "politics", it's about decency.
But the moral fiber of basically the whole retro computing scene seems to be the size of a pea. As long as people get the product, service or whatever they desire, they're very easy to give a pass to anyone.

Case in point:

That is also why copyright trolls like this dude or Cloanto thrive instead of disappearing.

And by the way, for this to happen "legally", the two copyright trolls will have to work in cahoots, because this thing will need a Kickstart. So welcome to the Copyright Troll Superproduct!
Of course its political if people continue to being up past *yawn* stuff from what John Smith did or did not do, i’m 100% not interested, and 95% don’t know the full details anyway, and do not want to know.

Does that make me a bad person for buying their products? Does that make everyone being a single product from China a bad person?

You can talk moral fibre all you like, but 99% likely it will come from a hypercritical mouth.
Old 13 October 2020, 16:42   #34
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I have minines, minines and mini64 and there is an easy way how to add hundreds of games to them (without any modding).

Quote:
As you, i really don't know .... interesting question

And i agree, if no additional games can be added, it's a stupid thing
Old 13 October 2020, 16:44   #35
chip

Nice
Old 13 October 2020, 17:57   #36
amiman99

I will look forward to it.
The price needs to be below $100. Performance at least 030 25MHz equivalent (or better), not 7MHZ A500. Full usable WB with WHDLoad, but this will probably not happen.
They could get license agreement with Cloanto and include Amiga Forever with it. The cheapest version is on sale at $10, so with mass licensing they should get it cheaper.
Old 13 October 2020, 18:32   #37
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiman99 View Post
The price needs to be below $100. Performance at least 030 25MHz equivalent (or better), not 7MHZ A500.
Imho, no need for more then 020 + some fast ram.

As I said in another thread, 030 is too little for some 3D games (Alien Breed 3D 2, Genetic Spicies (or Doom ports)), and to high for regular 2D Aga games.
So, if it's not 040, then 020 should be plenty for vast majority of the games.

I might be wrong, as I never had 030, but from what I saw on youtube, there's not huge gap between 020 and 030, as is between 030 and 040.
Old 13 October 2020, 19:23   #38
amiman99

Most of my Amigas have 030, so I know how it feels speed wise. For Doom and alike, you need at least 030 50MHz to have any fun.
I would also want to run Shapeshifter on the Amiga Mini, so the more speed the better.
Picasso support is nice too.

Did anyone hacked the C64 Mini and put Amiga emulator on it?
Old 13 October 2020, 19:28   #39
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Someone will pack RPi, make it look like Amiga and sell it as that... OK, not RPi board, but somethin' similar...

Not interested in those 'mini' of everything or anything...

Waitin' for next ' mini PC'... oh wait, already done and used it.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...ute-stick.html
Old 14 October 2020, 01:35   #40
Dunny

It will be based on already-used hardware (The64 was the same thing as the Vega, no reason to suggest this will be any different) and therefore will probably just about manage an A500 1MB.

It will almost certainly support you adding your own ADF files, as it will be one of the ARM amiga emulators packed into a box.