English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 30 January 2019, 18:54   #61
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
[...] The config file "host-props" is the one that decides which config to start [...]
@AMIGASYSTEM : Is there a way to define several config ?
By example : A500, A1200 and make a choice at that stage of the boot process?
Old 30 January 2019, 18:59   #62
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Just noticed, on Win 10, 'hide protected operating system files is another few clicks down. AMIGASYSTEM, you were right - I am n00b with Windows, after 24 years of use.

As for sound, issue is that vmware takes my phone system as another audio card, and gets stuck. It works fine on real hardware.
Old 30 January 2019, 19:55   #63
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
I'm not a Linux expert
Old 30 January 2019, 19:58   #64
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Just noticed, on Win 10, 'hide protected operating system files is another few clicks down. AMIGASYSTEM, you were right - I am n00b with Windows, after 24 years of use.
I have a lot of experience on PCs, i have managed hundreds of PCs and User in my company network for many years.
Old 31 January 2019, 14:08   #65
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
I did some tests and the sound works, see small video attached:

http://eab.abime.net/zone/Test%20Aud...e-Amilator.avi
It is not working for me due to my phone extension being detected as sound card.

Quote:
That is question for EAB user nobody or OP of this topic. I am wondering the same, as it would be great to have A500, A1200 and A4000 as separate configuraitons.

Quote:
I have a lot of experience on PCs, i have managed hundreds of PCs and User in my company network for many years.
Good for you!

Back to topic, on one of old dual core dells it does not work (only 1 GB of memory), even after modifying ram to 64MB. I will somewhere in box stored the same model with 2GB that I will test one of those days. On my old gaming computer it works great, sound, ClassicWB P96 working, tried some games (AGA) and I could not figure out why my mouse does not work for Cannon Fodder (WHDLoad). Joystick works just fine for Banshee and Aladdin. Even wireless and browsing from Amiga worked fine.

Last edited by Anubis; 31 January 2019 at 14:13.
Old 31 January 2019, 15:06   #66
Dunny

For 1GB machines, look into adding a swap drive and activating it. Running Debian and FS-UAE together with network drivers et al will probably be hitting near the limits of available RAM, maybe?
Old 31 January 2019, 16:30   #67
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
For 1GB machines, look into adding a swap drive and activating it. Running Debian and FS-UAE together with network drivers et al will probably be hitting near the limits of available RAM, maybe?
Good thinking about wifi, but it was the same before I set it up. I did check free RAM while FS-UAR is running and system still had around 400MB free. Not sure if swap will make any difference. I did not have much time to investigate since I got very late form work last night.

I run it from usb memory stick - I will setup HD for either that or couple of other old laptops I have and give it a try. Should I leave main drive FAT32?
Old 31 January 2019, 17:32   #68
Dunny

Yes, leave the main drive as FAT32 - it's easier for transferring files from USB. I used that to move a pretty complete TOSEC collection of ADFs to my main Work: partition. You do need to use the linux command line for that though; you can get to it with Ctrl+Alt+F1 or F2.

Once there you need to reboot to get back to the Amiga, so make sure you've closed any apps that are running.

You can log in with user "root" and pass "root" for maintenance.
Old 31 January 2019, 17:57   #69
AMIGASYSTEM

FAT32 is the best choice for USB devices, FAT32 is compatible with all devices, with all versions of Windows, Mac OS X and Linux and in general with any device equipped with a USB port.
FAT32 No permissions management so no file protection as for NTFS and there are no significant speed differences between the two filesystems.
Old 31 January 2019, 19:06   #70
peo

Work (stuck) in progress...

Quote:
Did this experiment today...

Built some shell script that uses "dialog" to show a curses menu to select the configuration (scans for .fs-uae files in /amiga/config) to be used..

The problem is that the "dialog" package is not installed by default in the USB-image, and installing it requires two additional packages (just tried to pick some of the files "dialog" binary + the two missing libs, but it required some more files)..

It should be possible to unpack the squashfs file (which I have done), add the packages, and repack, but I wanted to avoid this being a new release of the USB-image. My goal was to make it as easy as possible, just add my selector script, and add a line in "live/init.sh" to run it...

Last edited by DamienD; 31 January 2019 at 20:05. Reason: Image size reduced...
Old 31 January 2019, 19:34   #71
Anubis
Retro Gamer

@ peo - that looks great - reminds me of RetroPie, which uses similar scripts when you start any games.

@Dunny - thanks, I was already doing some stuff on linux side yesterday, when I tried to install WHDLoad, without realizing that it would take more steps to update squashfs.
Old 01 February 2019, 13:48   #72
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Small update:

Found other laptop with faster CPU and more memory, but sound is still choppy so I decided not to even try to install on that computer.

Then I remember my kid's old laptop is much newer, 2GB. Tried running Amilator on it and works great, except after I formated local storage (mmc), I was not able to mount it - system is giving error that is either wrong FS or something else is wrong with storage. This is laptop with local 32GB storage that is in some form of flash disk. Any ides?
Old 01 February 2019, 14:38   #73
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by peo View Post
Did this experiment today... [...] It should be possible to unpack the squashfs file (which I have done), add the packages, and repack, but I wanted to avoid this being a new release of the USB-image. My goal was to make it as easy as possible, just add my selector script, and add a line in "live/init.sh" to run it... [...]
What about a simple console input ?
(maybe with a timer ? - but not essential).

Could you please give a go and, if working, share it ?
Old 02 February 2019, 04:45   #74
Anubis
Retro Gamer

I figured out my issue, and now everything works great!

Still no mouse movement in Cannon Fodder, tho! Anyone else using Amilator had any issues with WHDload games?
Old 02 February 2019, 07:28   #75
nobody

Mouse issues could be due to fs-uae, due to missing some package for mouse control, or not correct parameters in config file (mouse integration and full screen mode). I remember the version I had posted was flawless, took me hell of a lot of time to make it lol, worked on that thing for a full month. The initial version had lots of problems with sound, mouse, gamepad and more.
Old 02 February 2019, 09:16   #76
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
I figured out my issue, and now everything works great!

Still no mouse movement in Cannon Fodder, tho! Anyone else using Amilator had any issues with WHDload games?
Hope your issue is as simple as the one I had

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...05#post1204405
Old 02 February 2019, 13:25   #77
peo

Launching console controlled selector for FS-UAE configuration before starting FS-UAE

Quote:
What about a simple console input ?
(maybe with a timer ? - but not essential).

Could you please give a go and, if working, share it ?
Solved the issue with "dialog" missing by installing Debian 9.4 on a virtual computer and compiling "dialog" (static) from source.. So now I got my menu running on the bootable USB without modifying the image..

Cannot find any good place to put my call to the config-selector script without rebuilding..

First option: /etc/rc.local, which calls /amilator/init.sh (both of which are part of the image, so these are no options without rebuilding)

Second option: /amiga/live/init.sh, which is called from /amilator/init.sh, but the problem here is the "&", which detaches the command and continues with the rest of /amilator/init.sh

Last option, and this will not work either (because of other reasons explained below), is /amiga/configs/host-props because it is called many times from other scripts as well as from my selector script (workaround is possible).

The current reason for failing to display the menu before launching FS-UAE, is that there is no tty to put the menu in.
While searching for a solution (this is not exclusive for the "dialog" ncurses menu, but needed for all output to the console before logging in) I found this:
https://alan-mushi.github.io/2014/10...h-systemd.html

.. which puts me back to the need to modify the image ..

Maybe something for @nobody or @Winloze99, to make systemd call a script residing on the user-accessable part of the USB-stick (if that script exists ofcourse, like in /amiga/configs or better /amiga/live).
.. and while modifying the image .. add sshd to it (allow root login or create a separate user "amilator") ..

My work so far (free to use/modify/get-this-going):
http://peo.yliniemi.se/amiga/amilator/amilator-mods.tgz
Old 02 February 2019, 23:10   #78
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Thanks for giving a try @peo !
Old 03 February 2019, 04:32   #79
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Hope your issue is as simple as the one I had

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...05#post1204405
That was it!

Thank you!

I am still trying to figure out how program starts from point of selecting option @ boot to starting configuration. It is easy to add options to loader, but how to execute selected configuration once selected??

I still think it would really cool if you can select what configuration to run at boot.

Last edited by Anubis; 03 February 2019 at 07:13.
Old 04 February 2019, 00:36   #80
Anubis
Retro Gamer

What is max size HDF size supported on FS-UAE in Amilator?

I tried to mount 2GB and can't make it to work?!