English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Contest

Old 25 February 2019, 16:55   #21
ross
Defendit numerus

I have already expressed my opinion in Rygar's thread (ie it was clear that the various projects would not have been finished in such a short time, I would have allowed twice the time).

But at this point there is a danger: the risk that once the competition is over the projects are left at the tech-demo or beta stage or what they are.

So we need an incentive for them to continue.
I throw it there: why not allocate a percentage of the sum and deliver it only to the completed projects?

Let me explain: x% delivered immediately as a result of the judges, 100-x% only after a (defined, relatively short) time period and at finished product.

If someone does not finish the project, the sum is divided between those who conclude it. In the percentage of merit already decided.
I hope I was clear...

Just a (silly?) idea
Yeah, sure silly 'cause author have any right to define finished a game with how many parts they want.

EDIT: regarding the other two questions:
1) deadline is a deadline, so competitors should be respected (my previous proposal does not modify merit, it only serves to stimulate the finished products, which makes sense otherwise the next time you can think of presenting incomplete things and that's okay);
2) if there is no rule regarding PHX's request only the judges can decide.

EDIT2: x=66? 75?

Last edited by ross; 25 February 2019 at 20:13. Reason: better explained, maybe
Old 25 February 2019, 17:34   #22
clenched

It looks to me any date between these two would be OK.

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=1264804&postcount=2

Since the window has been slammed shut on this thread, it sort of gives the impression the opposite is true.

-=[Competition now open for entries!!!!]=-
Old 25 February 2019, 22:31   #23
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortuguesePilot View Post
[...] I see no problem with late entries. As long as the rules are upheld, then they're welcome. [...]
+1

Quote:
[...] Also: if the deadline is too near and not enough complete games are available, then the deadline may be extended. [...]
I always thought that 6 month for a "coding on spare time competition" was really short. Nevertheless, I am of the opinion that a change of rules cannot be unilaterally imposed to the participants. No case of "force majeure" here.
So, unless all participants agree, the deadline must remain unchanged. This is the minimum respect that the participants having followed the rules deserve.
Next competitions could be different... per rules.

Quote:
[...] @malko: Thanks for the heads up. [...]
You are welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross View Post
[...] But at this point there is a danger: the risk that once the competition is over the projects are left at the tech-demo or beta stage or what they are.
So we need an incentive for them to continue.
I throw it there: why not allocate a percentage of the sum and deliver it only to the completed projects?
[...]
Although this risk cannot be excluded and even if I see the "good idea" behind this proposal, I cannot follow it because it was not stipulated from the beginning. So, let's keep the idea for the next competition . In the meantime, better to live with this risk and hope that it is only part of the assumptions that will not be realized .
Old 25 February 2019, 23:08   #24
ross
Defendit numerus

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
Although this risk cannot be excluded and even if I see the "good idea" behind this proposal, I cannot follow it because it was not stipulated from the beginning. So, let's keep the idea for the next competition . In the meantime, better to live with this risk and hope that it is only part of the assumptions that will not be realized .
Yes, you are absolutely right

Unacceptable change if not stipulated from the beginning.
Sure my idea can be a suggestion for a future competition, but not for this time (I had already regretted it as soon as I wrote it)
Old 26 February 2019, 12:42   #25
john4p
Competition Moderator

I agree, keep deadline and prize distribution as is. But allow anyone to submit a game before the deadline.
Old 26 February 2019, 13:35   #26
Nightshft

+1 to Malkos opinion.

(Edit: Maybe we find a way to motivate ppl to finish projects, after the contest...)

Last edited by Nightshft; 26 February 2019 at 14:13.
Old 27 February 2019, 15:24   #27
arcanist

Are you getting your entry post in, @phx? Getting close to the deadline!
Old 27 February 2019, 18:35   #28
softiron

@phx
you should definitely enter the compo...
If thats the celtic platformer... I've seen pictures of - yes please
Old 27 February 2019, 21:53   #29
JudasEZT

What would have been good would be to make an Amiga GOTY award.
With three awarding games, and maybe some special categories.

I have a project or two in development, just continuous redesigns and familiar issues, very time consuming.. I have not reached the deadline.