English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 16 November 2021, 17:33   #21
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

As things are right now, purists might skin me alive when they found out how i did remix Jackal NES OST for Neeso version -_-
And poor Neeso got some negative feedback too, because had to use NES as a reference rather than the arcade due to Scorpion Engine map size limitations

[ Show youtube player ]

(btw it seems milkytracker made mods plays a bit out of tune compared to protracker and libmikmod, stumbled hard on that last night testing songs for Rockbot 2)

[ Show youtube player ]

Loved your Metal Gear soundtrack Rendition however! That is what i want to hear from new Amiga games, a cut with the usual intro-demoscene-y style of the 90s

Last edited by saimon69; 18 November 2021 at 18:44. Reason: Added rockbot 2 capture
Old 16 November 2021, 17:51   #22
h0ffman

This is the reason why I still use ProTracker 2.3D because I'm confident it's going to sound the same when it gets into the game.

Turns out I've now run out of original source material to do renditions of now as the original game only has 2 in-game tunes and 2 boss tunes for a total of 8 levels. So all music from here on in has to be original. I posted the Level 3 music on Twitter last night.

https://twitter.com/djh0ffman/status...86929309011974

Looking at the video you might be wondering how I'm going to squeeze a 300k+ module into the game. Well the size on this is misleading as it contains loads of unused samples and patterns.

Dev stuff...

I've built a tool which collects all the modules for the game, optimises and removes anything unused. it then builds a sample bank so samples can be shared between the modules at no extra cost. it can even have the same sample in the same module without using extra chip ram, just adds the reference when the game code rebuilds it in memory. I "think" this one takes about 90k of chip ram for samples.

Oh and all the samples have been 4bit delta compressed making them half in size. When an tune in-game is needed, all the samples are uncompressed from fast ram to chip, pattern data gets unpacked and all the samples get referenced in the replayer.
Old 16 November 2021, 18:14   #23
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

I got spoiled by the multithreading of Milky - fits well with my chaotic workflow - so is hard for me to go back - unless someone do a multithreaded protracker -_-
in the meanwhile am going to do the tune up on protracker afterwards

Last edited by saimon69; 16 November 2021 at 18:46.
Old 18 November 2021, 19:58   #24
Toni Galvez

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Been there with the musics of Bomb Jack Beer Edition
Sorry, your soundtrack with Bomb Jack Beer Edition (and Jackal/Wonder Boy) are not my cup of tea. But is good you keep improving your skills.
Old 18 November 2021, 19:59   #25
Toni Galvez

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink^abyss View Post
I don't think you will find any good musicians on Amiga..

Seriously, two thumbs up for you because you still do things on Amiga. . I can verify that making a top Amiga game is much harder then working on most other platforms. And your work is top notch Hoffman!
Why you ignore DJ Metune?
Old 19 November 2021, 18:12   #26
kamelito
Zone Friend

Many Arcade games do have poor musics compared to what an Amiga can do IMHO.
Old 23 November 2021, 17:24   #27
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
Many Arcade games do have poor musics compared to what an Amiga can do IMHO.
Yeah midi music with a synth sound chip, it's a bit jarring to see cool graphics with rich animations and a plethora of sound effects and then the music is a step back.
Old 23 November 2021, 18:44   #28
jotd
This cat is no more

it really depends on the arcade game. Some have really good music (Marble Madness, Dragon Ninja) even if FM synth.

Also consider that the sfx / music of those arcade games were also drowned in the noise of the arcade place / bar.
Old 23 November 2021, 19:18   #29
nikosidis

That game looks great and the music sound great. H0ffman only make quality.

This is the kind of game I love. Looking a lot forward to this

On top of this OCS 1MB. Respect!
Old 23 November 2021, 19:28   #30
skyzoo73

I have to be honest, during the early stages of development I didn't think it was an interesting project. I had seen the videos of the original version of the game and had labeled it as a simple little game, nice but nothing more. But I have to say that now I have changed my mind, the reinterpretation on the Amiga adds a lot of style, and the work in general is very well done. After watching the stream on AmigaBill this feeling has settled even more, the music obviously has a lot of merit in this regard, but the details and playability also seem really top notch. Really promises to be a real gem. Congratulations and I can't wait to try it out on my Amigas.
Old 28 November 2021, 16:11   #31
pink^abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Galvez View Post
Why you ignore DJ Metune?

There are of course many great amiga musicians.. it was a joke, as Hoffmann is best known for his music..
Old 02 December 2021, 15:54   #32
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil79 View Post
Although I wont be featuring this one, looks cool

Why won't you be featuring this?
Old 02 December 2021, 20:38   #33
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brave Ant View Post
Well, I played The original Knighmare back then in 1988, yup, I had an MSX.

And this remake is not good, I don´t like It.

I don´t like so many things, for example I don´t like the music, the colors of the hero are ugly, the colors for example of the armored enemies are bad too, the bats are ugly compared to the original ones, the shadows that they cast are made of little dots when the original was a full black shadow, the arrows that shot the enemy are too ornated, etc...It´s not good at all. I don´t like It, really, and I appreciate their effort but man, no way.

I hope this game improve a lot, now I refuse to play It. It´s a very special game for the MSX and this port is not doing justice to that game, better play the original one.

You can try the original Knightmare online in the link that I put, the controls are pretty easy, Arrow Keys to move, Space to Shot, that´s all (In the original with F5 you could Pause the game).
Just compare the original 8 bit video game with the 16 bit and see It for yourself what is the best version.

https://www.file-hunter.com/MSX/index.php?id=knightmare
Sorry, mate, but h0ffman's version just shits on the MSX one from the top of Mt. Everest.

Must be rose tinted nostalgic goggles you are wearing.
Old 30 December 2021, 10:28   #34
Toni Galvez

Finished my graphics work for Knightmare.

Hello guys,

Yesterday I had finish my work on all the graphics for Knightmare, if was a long road.

I started on 6th July, until 29th December. Unlike Metal Gear, in Knightmare I improved all the sprites and background tiles, add more frames to some animations.

I mainly use 16 colours for the sprites (BOBs) and the other 16 for backgrounds (every stage got different palette on this part of the palette) but I used the some colours of the entire palette as well. I had been very careful with the background and sprites contrast.

The final door where done with Lightwave 3D and pixel arranged.

I got an idea of new power up that is not in MSX.

The menu design was mine as well and there is an ending picture.

I hope you enjoy the game when is released.
Old 30 December 2021, 11:39   #35
DanyPPC

You are great, I'm waiting your conversion 'cause I always loved this game on MSX
Old 30 December 2021, 14:21   #36
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Galvez View Post
Hello guys,

Yesterday I had finish my work on all the graphics for Knightmare, if was a long road.

I started on 6th July, until 29th December. Unlike Metal Gear, in Knightmare I improved all the sprites and background tiles, add more frames to some animations.

I mainly use 16 colours for the sprites (BOBs) and the other 16 for backgrounds (every stage got different palette on this part of the palette) but I used the some colours of the entire palette as well. I had been very careful with the background and sprites contrast.

The final door where done with Lightwave 3D and pixel arranged.

I got an idea of new power up that is not in MSX.

The menu design was mine as well and there is an ending picture.

I hope you enjoy the game when is released.
Its great work, these wealth of new collaborations are a breath of fresh air for the Amiga
Old 30 December 2021, 15:02   #37
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Its great work, these wealth of new collaborations are a breath of fresh air for the Amiga

Indeed. Given the troublesome nature and intricate idiosyncrasies of our community, I thought I'd never see the day of proper collaboration, in spite of several tentative forays of the past.

I can't wait for this, TBH. 'Knightmare' is one of my favourite MSX games and it has already been properly converted to the ZX Spectrum. The Amiga version is a more than welcome version as well.
Old 30 December 2021, 15:40   #38
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

great game and a great work !! Congratulation to the team.
Old 30 December 2021, 18:40   #39
skyzoo73

Smile

Having a collaborative team working on a project is the key to success. Many times interesting projects suffer from defects due to the work done only by one person, even if talented. After all, in the 16-bit era, the greatest masterpieces are the fruit of well-organized and motivated teams, not individuals. Having said that I can't wait to see this gem for our Amigas.
Old 05 January 2022, 17:21   #40
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Seems to be released soon !!!
source :
https://twitter.com/TonimanGalvez/st...50973644398594