English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

View Poll Results: If some DVD of demos really exist, will you buy them ?
Yes of course ! 16 43.24%
No thanks 8 21.62%
maybe on day... 13 35.14%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11 August 2001, 16:40   #1
RCK
Administrator

Thumbs up DemoDVD Project

Demos lovers, check for http://www.demodvd.org/ now!
it will be great

Quote:
Welcome to the development page of the DemoDVD Project, courtesy of (ex-)Hornet and Fusecon. The goal of this project is to produce a Digital Video Disc (DVD) of various demos (underground "demoscene" demos, not product or game demos). Please feel free to use one of the navigation links above to get started; Project Overview is a good place to start.
Old 11 August 2001, 17:34   #2
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Has anyone seen the demo that this site is referring to on the news page...the winner from the ASM 2001 compo? Where is that demo at and what are the requirements to run it? Oh, and what is the name of it?!
Old 11 August 2001, 17:45   #3
Amigaboy

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin' Ghost
Has anyone seen the demo that this site is referring to on the news page...the winner from the ASM 2001 compo? Where is that demo at and what are the requirements to run it? Oh, and what is the name of it?!
It's called Lapsuus by MatureFurk. It can be found http://www.mbnet.fi/awake/jutut/pake...mo/LAPSUUS.LHA

It's requirements are pretty high (hence the reason it looks so good....even though I haven't seen it yet)

68060 + aga + 16megs memory

My Amiga can cater for everything there, except for the 060...Damn 030!

Old 11 August 2001, 18:19   #4
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by s4murai
I dunno... it's not the real thing... and how would you access any secret parts?

For me, demos are still something like art which can be made on (& played) on computer only.
too easy answer for me
I have a LOT of oldshool demos that CAN'T run anymore on my local computers...
and I would really like to see them again. (even if i can't access secret part, etc ...)

Quote:
Overview
This project has a very focused scope: To create a Video DVD of various demos (underground demoscene demos, not product or game demos).

An obvious question after reading the above would be, "Why on earth would anyone want to do that when you can just run the demo?" Good question:
  • You can't always just run the demo. Some older demos were written to require hardware or software standards that are no longer widely available (Gravis Ultrasound, LPT DAC / Covox, 386 self-modifying code, real mode vs. EMS vs. XMS, ET4000 chipset-specific tricks, etc.), so making an MPEG of the demo on a hardware configuration that actually works is the only way some people will get to see it.
  • A DVD of the video allows people with DVD players to play the videos on their television for some acid-trippy/nostalgic/appreciative/eye-candy fun.
  • Popping a DVD of the video into a PC or DVD player is a very quick way to show non-scener friends what demos are like (or newer sceners what older demos were like) without the hassle of finding the demo, rebooting and reconfiguring your PC, and working out sound card hassles.
Although DVD mastering and end-user costs are higher than videotape, DVD was chosen as the distribution medium over videotape for several reasons:
  • DVDs have the possibility to hold more than 2 hours of high-quality video, while videotapes are limited to two hours of medium-quality video.
  • Encoding the DVD as NTSC video ensures the widest possible audience (this is because most set-top DVD players all over the world can decode and display NTSC). Most PAL VCRs, on the other hand, can't play NTSC tapes.
  • A "Hybrid" DVD can be made, which means that the demos themselves can be included on the DVD-ROM data track. This is an extra bonus without any additional cost (a CDROM would've been necessary to distribute with a videotape to provide the same service).
Old 11 August 2001, 18:33   #5
§ane

If you haven't the specs to run the lapsuus demo, heres the DivX
ftp://ftp.scene.org/pub/mirrors/amidemos/lapsuus.zip

It's a nice demo, impressive for amiga but i have seen better..
Old 11 August 2001, 18:50   #6
RCK
Administrator

For downloading the DivX version of Lapsuus, I suggest you to use this mirror http link provided by Amidemo.

http://omr.planet-d.net/amidemos/lapsuus.zip
Old 11 August 2001, 19:52   #7
Amigaboy

sheesh. This is the demo everyone's raving about?

It's pretty crappy if you ask me. Sure it has some nice effects, but without a good soundtrack, it's nothing..

Look at State Of The Art and 9 Fingers. Killer soundtracks = Killer demo

But considering it's all done in realtime (and on an Amiga ), I'd have to give it an 8/10 ...2 points deducted due to shit music score

Last edited by Amigaboy; 11 August 2001 at 20:02.

Old 12 August 2001, 03:02   #8
icycool
Banned

Its AMAZING!!

The music could be better tho IMO.

How big is the actual demo, anyway?

..must get an 060 board.
Old 12 August 2001, 07:55   #9
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Hmmm...I didn't think the music was that bad. I can't imagine a house music score on something like that. Pretty impressive, but I suppose I had my hopes built up a little high. Not the best encode in the world, but I got the idea.

I suppose what impresses me the most is how a Motorola-based Amiga is still out there kicking ass on the scene. That rocks.

And Amigaboy - thanks for liking the music to State of the Art, because I thought I was the only one who liked it! I have read a lot of comments from others that either didn't like the music to it or felt a little short-changed by that demo, but it's one of my favs.
Old 12 August 2001, 08:26   #10
icycool
Banned

mod.pandemonium if i remember correctly.. a very nice piece of music
Old 12 August 2001, 09:00   #11
Amigaboy

State Of The Art is the all time greatest demo (IMO)

It looked great and sounded great...This is what demos should be

9 Fingers used the same formula as State Of The Art, but was not as critically acclaimed (even though I thought it kicked ass)

Another demo which I've fell in love with is called "Ascii junkie" . Lovely indeed

Old 12 August 2001, 09:20   #12
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I agree! Whenever I bring some Amiga virgin over to show them what they have missed out on, State of the Art is what I hit them with first. They are always blown away and I never tire of seeing it. After that, they are hooked and want to watch demo after demo.

I haven't seen ASCII Junkie, but I have it. Will in run in emulation? I tried looking at it from my WinUAE HD setup, but all I got was a black screen. Is it ECS?
Old 12 August 2001, 09:39   #13
Amigaboy

ASCII Junkie used to work fine on my 030 A1200 with 16mb fast and 2mb chip

I just tried it through WinUAE and I got the same black screen (although the music can be heard)

It looks like you may need an 030 to run it

----

Update

I just tested it with WinUAE 0.816R4 with 040 emulation and it works, so it does need at least an 030 to run it (although. A real Amiga is recommended since this emulation was VERY slow - on my computer at least)

Last edited by Amigaboy; 12 August 2001 at 09:46.

Old 12 August 2001, 10:49   #14
Amigaboy

Yep. 9 Fingers is the one where the Japanese symbols flash all the time

Old 12 August 2001, 21:15   #15
Amiga1992

IMO State of the Art's music is awful, too corny, and a victim of a disease called 'samplemania'.. I dint like it, but the demo is a corker.

I prefefr 9 Fingers because the tune is better.

on the PC, Stash/TBL is one of my fave demos, it's not so great, but the music is AWESOME. Ask Icy
Old 01 January 2002, 22:26   #16
RCK
Administrator

Cool The project is active now !

What's up here ?

- The name list of the demos present on the DVD is available ! http://www.demodvd.org/contents
- The mailing list about pricing / shipping is now up.
Old 02 January 2002, 12:44   #17
_SoLO_

Quote:
I just heard (read?) that the gfx-artists of the Lapsuus-Demo are well-known in the cg-scene and different forums. But strangely enough, more in the PC-scene than in the Amiga one.
the guys from Mature Furk (who made the lapsus demo) are all ex-amiga sceners (ex mellow chip/TRSI)

Some of them are working on 3dmark & max paine

more info :
http://www.cfxweb.net/article.php?sid=579
Old 02 January 2002, 16:28   #18
Bobic

Quote:
Isn't there a 3rd demo in the State of...-style? One with japanese/chinese symbols flashing up sometimes. Or is that one 9 Finger?

Probably you're talking about "Symbolia" from Access. It's not as good as 9 Fingers (one of my alltime fav A500 demos) and State of the Art (excellent demo, but I totally hate the music. Yes, I do!).

Symbolia download: http://www.back2roots.org/Demos/Files/Symbolia
Old 08 October 2002, 00:10   #19
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Oct 2, 2002 12:10 pm: The Disc Contents page has been updated with the ordered "beta" (pre-release/test disc) list. As usual, it is available in both HTML and Excel format.

We have received audio commentary from Halcyon, Future Crew, Acme, Statix/Pulse, COMA, and Moppi. The rest of you groups appearing on the DVD still have a few days left to record your own! Contact Trixter or me as soon as possible if you're able to create one.

We expect to complete the DVD in late October, and start taking orders in early December.
Old 08 October 2002, 00:38   #20
Djay
95th User

back in the day, we (being my friends) made videos of good Amiga demos, we then took them around other friends houses and made them watch Amiga demos 24/7

........GREAT IDEA