Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 09 November 2013, 19:23   #1
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

what miss to the amiga ?

what do you think miss to the amiga ?
for me is the support of flashplayer.
And you ?
Whan isaid amiga, it could be amiga new gen or classic.
Old 09 November 2013, 20:43   #2
Zak
Zap´em

I must admit, I don´t know much about the Amiga has developed today. In mid nineties, I bought a brand new Amiga to perform as my one and only system.

I could not play old games on it, there was no WHDload. I could hardly look at any Webpage because Java and other plugins were missing. I could not watch MPEG videos. I could not produce mp3, though I had a tool to listen to them. I could not read pdf or alike formats available on the young web. Man, I could hardly do anything with it. Don´t know how it is today. I still have this Amiga, though in very bad condition, and I did not yet find time to do something with it again.

I bought a PC back then and that was it with Amiga until last year where I rediscovered Goal! and WinUAE and felt the old feeling again. The early nineties feeling. Not the mid-nineties one.
Old 09 November 2013, 21:36   #3
prowler
Global Moderator

I don't miss anything about my Amigas when I'm using them, because I know their limitations and I'm happy with that.

The same applies to my PlayStations, Saturns, DreamCasts, GameCubes, etc. and even to my old PCs, of which I have several.

When I start seriously missing features on my latest computer or console, and it can't be upgraded, I shall replace it. And then that machine will join the other old machines, on which I can perform the tasks I'd rather not waste my new one trying to do.
Old 09 November 2013, 21:48   #4
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
I don't miss anything about my Amigas when I'm using them, because I know their limitations and I'm happy with that.
"If you know hardware limits, your possibilities are unlimited."
Old 09 November 2013, 22:01   #5
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

On classic Amigas... proper undo buffers, on any software.
Old 09 November 2013, 22:22   #6
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Dont you think Deluxe Paint Undo function works great?
Old 09 November 2013, 23:31   #7
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

you can undo once, well usually that's enough but not with these dodgy mouse buttons. I should fix them.

Really it's Devpac I miss it on.
Old 10 November 2013, 23:02   #8
felixkat

Having just started using the Amiga again last week for the first time in 20+ Years.....!

I can't say I miss anything. Predseda put it correctly.

At the end of the day I only had a standard 500 back in the day, now I have a 1200 and WinUAE.

Yes it would be great to have modern browsers, flash and all the other things we are forced to rely on but I think most of us accept it for what it is.
Old 11 November 2013, 22:35   #9
Zak
Zap´em

It´s not that I don´t like the Amiga, not at all, to put that right. But it definitely couldn´t replace all other systems anymore at a certain point in time. In late eighties/early nineties that was different without the web and it´s content. I think I misunderstood the sense of the question and got caught in a trap.
I was hit badly when I had to accept that those old days are over. That was like a crisis.
Old 12 November 2013, 00:56   #10
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak View Post
I could not play old games on it, there was no WHDload.
But there was relokick and other degraders that frequently worked pretty well.

Quote:
I could hardly look at any Webpage because Java and other plugins were missing.
Back then very few, if any, web pages I visited used Java or plugins of any kind. Wasn't till the mid to late 90's that it started to be an issue.
Quote:
I could not watch MPEG videos. I could not produce mp3, though I had a tool to listen to them.
I couldn't listen to MP3s on my 1200 at all. But they weren't that popular. MP3 standard wasn't released until 95, and took a bit get rolling. MPEG video was even later than that..

Late 90's, it was becoming a real issue (and when I went PC),
but 80's thru mid 90's, I don't remember much my Amiga couldn't do..
(I know, DOOM in 93 was the harbinger. And while I liked Doom, there were still plenty of non-FPS games for a few years to keep it fun..)

I think the Amiga kept up fairly well up to the mid-90's. And that was impressive considering how far behind it was with Commodore giving up (virtually) on new engineering.

As for, what do I miss NOW on my Amiga...

Not much...
I really use it mostly for retro fun, and it's great.
I also use it for "can you believe it does that", so I have 64M of RAM and browse the web; I play DOOM and MP3s (with MAS Player). ;-)

Would it be nice if it had a modern browser? Yes, but modern browsers are bloated and require LOTS of CPU and RAM to properly render modern sites.

Now, if someone released a modern browser and there was an FPGA with an emulated 680x0 running at 100Mhz... Yeah, I'd probably do that too.. ;-)
As long as it doesn't cost what an 060 costs.. I just can't spend that much on this hobby..

desiv
Old 12 November 2013, 01:50   #11
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Dont you think Deluxe Paint Undo function works great?
No, it's horrible. PROPER undo would have been welcome. I love it in grafx2. Then again on such limited resolutions doing what you just did again was easier. There's a lot of "painting on t op" going on with Deluxe Paint that you just can't do anymore.

Now, layers, that would have been grand, another grafx2 feature I love and basically is turning me further and further away from DPIV. Again, yeah,m you can have two " layers" if you use Lock Screen, but it's not the same.
Old 12 November 2013, 10:03   #12
Hewitson

Flash and a usable web browser would have to be the two things I miss, I could probably use an Amiga as my main computer if it was able to offer those two things.
Old 12 November 2013, 17:25   #13
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Flash and a usable web browser would have to be the two things I miss, I could probably use an Amiga as my main computer if it was able to offer those two things.
same feeling for me.
Old 15 November 2013, 11:17   #14
ungatonipon

If there's something I don't miss in the Amiga, or any computer for that matter, is Flash. It'd be great to have a WebKit based browser at usable speed on at least a 030/50. That'd be something many Amiga users would be very happy to use. Maybe the most important piece of software anyone can build for the classic Amigas this days. Even if the browser is featureless... just a relatively recent WebKit engine and basic navigation buttons.

Old 15 November 2013, 11:46   #15
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Am I the only one here who could do without flash? It's mostly used for adverts.

Most flash games could just be ported to the Amiga if they are really worth playing.
Old 15 November 2013, 11:46   #16
Hewitson

There's no doubt that Flash is the worst thing that has ever happened to the internet. But unfortunately, for most of us it's an essential piece of software that we couldn't do without.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag
Most flash games could just be ported to the Amiga if they are really worth playing.
Most flash games are too complex for any Amiga to even dream of running.
Old 15 November 2013, 12:51   #17
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Most flash games are too complex for any Amiga to even dream of running.
Well maybe I'm behind the times but there are a lot of point-and-click adventures, tower defense games and BMX style games that would be no problem at all. Oh and of course Nanaca Crash.

Some of the physics-based games would be a bit more of a challenge.

EDIT: also I just remembered, I essentially wrote QWOP, years ago.

Last edited by Mrs Beanbag; 15 November 2013 at 13:13.
Old 15 November 2013, 14:12   #18
SS454
Banned

Wouldn't be that hard, from a hardware perspective, to give an Amiga a modern browser.

"simply" build a Zorro II/III card with ARM processor, and Android, and some (say 2gb for future proofing) RAM, and have it render pages. Copy everything it does into Amiga browser window.

The most super overpowered bridgeboard ever, for least useful thing! Someone please win the lottery and phone Jens up.
Old 15 November 2013, 14:13   #19
Apollo

Full support for clipping text. At least from Kick 2.0 upwards. I know that there are commodities providing that but they don't work everywhere.
Old 17 November 2013, 03:23   #20
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=71492
Perhaps it's the chance we were waiting for ????