English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 14 January 2022, 20:56   #41
Anubis
Retro Gamer

I really like video, great job. Can't wait to see finished game. I would still play FF from time to time... even played one on SNES.
Old 14 January 2022, 23:13   #42
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
I really like video, great job. Can't wait to see finished game. I would still play FF from time to time... even played one on SNES.
Running all variants of this game on RPi4 at 240p on 14" Sony Trinitron CRT.

One of my favourite arcade games of all time. Spent a lot of money in youth on this lol.
Old 15 January 2022, 00:20   #43
lmimmfn

Excellent work, looks fantastic for an A500.
Not to be a downer but this game is bandwidth hungry, came out well after the Amiga, and really needs AGA to really show what the Amiga is capable of, i think AGA Amigas with a 68030 processor should be able to replicale the arcade, a 020 with some drawbacks.

Keep going on OCS regardless, fantastic work!!!!
Old 15 January 2022, 09:46   #44
Brick Nash
Prototron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
Bricknash, pop over to the amiga game dev discord and we’ll enrol you in the dev chats. Lots of people there will br happy to help and i’ll certainly take a look at what is going on.
Thank you mcgeezer! I'll get over to the discord today after work.

Oh by the way, I keep forgetting to say thanks to you, as your YouTube tutorials and Photon's ones got me a good deal of the way so far.
Old 17 January 2022, 11:23   #45
vulture

@Brick Nash

Excellent work so far m8! I really hope a better version for the A500 can come out of this!
Old 17 January 2022, 16:55   #46
Retro1234
Phone Homer

But it's not 128 colour with parallax???

Seriously looks great but one thing I think is the original FF pallette looks dated and flat.
Old 18 January 2022, 11:35   #47
Silverstreak

This looks amazing. Great work
Old 18 January 2022, 16:43   #48
trydowave

Improved 16 col palette

To Brick Nash. Have you seen the redone 16 col palette by Master484? I think they are a vast improvement over the original. Maybe its something you could collaborate on?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	USGoldFinalFightGreens.png
Views:	448
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	74460   Click image for larger version

Name:	USGoldFinalFightRecolor2.png
Views:	517
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	74461  
Old 18 January 2022, 17:07   #49
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by trydowave View Post
To Brick Nash. Have you seen the redone 16 col palette by Master484? I think they are a vast improvement over the original. Maybe its something you could collaborate on?
Wow! This is impressive. Certainly worth implementing as the colours seem more akin to arcade rather than the Amiga version. It really depends if @Brick Nash wishes to improve on the original Amiga version in terms of gameplay or with aesthetics too...
Old 18 January 2022, 17:36   #50
DanyPPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by trydowave View Post
Better
Old 18 January 2022, 20:08   #51
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Wow! This is impressive. Certainly worth implementing as the colours seem more akin to arcade rather than the Amiga version. It really depends if @Brick Nash wishes to improve on the original Amiga version in terms of gameplay or with aesthetics too...
I would also change some colors and assets in latter parts of the game - that green stuff in the subway walls o_O
Old 18 January 2022, 20:43   #52
x-vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
there are no performant "engines". Only people who know their code and reuse it from game to game.

custom code to get maximum performance.

adapting an arcade version is different from doing an original game on the amiga. Arcade doesn't care about amiga constraints.

Doing an amiga original game is done with the amiga in mind at the very start. Easier (but Pixelglass new fighting game looks terrific I'll buy it as soon as possible)

About the linked videos: still waiting for a proof that they're running on a real amiga. So far, no proof. Disregarding.

I can create a demo in SDL on Windows, record it, and post it on YT pretending it's running on amiga...

Brick Nash I say: get it done, at worst you'll learn something, and you'll have some working code for other projects in the end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
That's really not a fair comparison.
"The engine of the future" by it's own author words, was never tested on a real A1200, but on a Winuae (that is by default faster, then real thing, according to many users), and with additional 64MB FAST RAM, or more!
Then, the author (in the youtube comments) said that he haven't used blitter at all... so that's pretty wasteful on the resources to be called "engine of the future".
With all due respect to the author and engine, of course.

On the other hand, Brick Nash's engine is much less demanding, and the demo he showed us, actually have some (very proper) gameplay, not just walking around sprites.
And his plan to proceed, and further optimize it for OCS machines, and slowest Amiga's, is very, very brave.
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 18 January 2022, 21:16   #53
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-vision View Post
[ Show youtube player ]
What does parallax 15 colors mean?
if you're using the CPU to redraw the whole screen then the parallax is the same screen depth?

Its strange because a while ago there was a video of Final Fight that seems to be fake - I made it in Amos O my hardrive crashed blah blah but why would someone put all that effort in creating a fake?
Old 18 January 2022, 23:11   #54
x-vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
if you're using the CPU to redraw the whole screen then the parallax is the same screen depth?

Its strange because a while ago there was a video of Final Fight that seems to be fake - I made it in Amos O my hardrive crashed blah blah but why would someone put all that effort in creating a fake?
The video is made by the developer. I think that it would be über-silly and hard to elaborate a fake like that
Old 18 January 2022, 23:14   #55
Retro1234
Phone Homer

I assume he is trying to say he would do the parallax like is done in Toki but even then it doesn't make sense you would have 1 palette for the whole screen.
Old 19 January 2022, 08:24   #56
jotd
This cat is no more

the video on real hardware is starting to convince me. First because of the damn flickering and second because WinUAE isn't there to speed things up.

I'm surprises that in 30 years that those boards exist (got my 68060 board in 1995) noone ever used the 040 and lots of fastram to create a fast and AGA 2D game.
Old 19 January 2022, 08:56   #57
aros-sg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post

It means that parallax drawing/blitting happens in only 4 planes even if the game runs in more planes/colors. Similiar thing/example: imagine you have a 16 color (4 plane) game and some objects/bobs only move around in the black (color 0) areas (sky) of it. You can then have 2-plane-only or 3-plane-only bobs there without needing to do anything and they still display fine.

Quote:

He doesn't redraw the whole screen. He renders the game in fastram and the areas that were changed/modified there are blitted/copy back to the display buffer in chip ram. Scrolling is irrelevant. Scrolling 1 pixel does not mean that ~"everything changed" and "everything needs to be updated/copied back". Because you scroll both the visible buffers in chip ram, but also the invisible game in fast ram in same way (== not really scrolling, just updating pointers/offsets/wrap arounds/whatever...)
Old 19 January 2022, 09:37   #58
Retro1234
Phone Homer

He's making out that he has a independent pallette for the parallax and it's just not possible.

It still doesn't make sense there isn't a separate screen depth for the foreground and background wouldn't be separate screen depths that would be the same - Yes you could just use 11??? Colours of your 128 screen but it's not a separate screen with a separate palette etc.

Why 11 ??? Why 12mb???
Just doesn't add up like the other fake FF video.
Old 19 January 2022, 17:08   #59
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Running all variants of this game on RPi4 at 240p on 14" Sony Trinitron CRT.

One of my favourite arcade games of all time. Spent a lot of money in youth on this lol.

LOL, me too. We had arcade at local Kebap shop where we would try to see who can get further on single coin, and couple of times we would load coins to complete game. I think this is only game that has ending that I saw completed in arcade / shop. This was end of 1992 and 1993 in Germany.
Old 19 January 2022, 18:34   #60
jotd
This cat is no more

waiting for a downloadable executable so everyone can test.