English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 18 October 2021, 11:38   #281
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post

Once in a while I forget it's so unfair and fire it, then I quit, unable to finish the first level or such...
I'm glad I'm not the only one. The rate of enemy spawning is insane IMO.
Old 18 October 2021, 12:07   #282
dreadnought

Bratacass for me. You can see there are some great ideas but it's all ruined by the insane control scheme.
Old 18 October 2021, 12:25   #283
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Did anyone mention Bubba 'n Stix (1994) (Core) ?
Old 18 October 2021, 13:47   #284
masteries

Livingstone Supongo 2

Despite all 16 bits version are the same, and almost the same as 8 bit ones.

Game playability is extremely rare, collision detection is purely insane...

what you need to have in mind (when you have decent sprites and tiles) to ruin a promising adventure-platform game?
Old 18 October 2021, 13:54   #285
masteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Bratacass for me. You can see there are some great ideas but it's all ruined by the insane control scheme.

This game appears to be more near to Amstrad CPC quality than Amiga one;
how many colours at once? 4 colours...

Is it a high resolution based game?

Old 18 October 2021, 14:44   #286
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by masteries View Post
This game appears to be more near to Amstrad CPC quality than Amiga one;
how many colours at once? 4 colours...

Is it a high resolution based game?
It is, and the gfx was actually praised in the reviews. More interesting though is the attempt to build a reactive, "living" gameworld. But they tried to cobbled it all together from the remains of the legendary over-ambitious Bandersnatch, and tripped over the control system the hardest.
Old 18 October 2021, 17:03   #287
NLS
Ancient User

Well Bratacas didn't have to be so limited in colors, even using 640 res.
(and no excuse for the audio either)
The problem is that it started development on the QL.
Old 18 October 2021, 17:28   #288
dreadnought

It's one of Amiga's first games (Jan 1986) and a port from ST. It's not like there was much to write home about software-wise at this time, even DotC, teh first real Amiga showcase was nearly a year away. Most devs were just getting to grips with the hardware back then.

In any case, poor gfx is not that relevant here. Neuromancer (1990) is quite basic looking and yet it remains one of Amiga's best games, thanks to its depth & playability (and a sane control scheme/UI).
Old 18 October 2021, 18:51   #289
kunglao

Most frustrating for me was Lost Patrol... at some point there was a rumor that it's not possible to succeed in the game and reach the safe camp before your own team-member is stabbing you, a VC patrol kills you or someone triggers a landmine killing everyone.
Now in times of YouTube I saw that it IS actually possible to win this game, so might give it a try again over Christmas vacation to challenge this demons from the past one more time
Old 18 October 2021, 21:37   #290
NLS
Ancient User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunglao View Post
Most frustrating for me was Lost Patrol... at some point there was a rumor that it's not possible to succeed in the game and reach the safe camp before your own team-member is stabbing you, a VC patrol kills you or someone triggers a landmine killing everyone.
Now in times of YouTube I saw that it IS actually possible to win this game, so might give it a try again over Christmas vacation to challenge this demons from the past one more time
That music though...
Old 18 October 2021, 22:28   #291
kremiso

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunglao View Post
90% of the reason was due a bad crack
in 1 or 2 hours you can complete the game, and also the state progress can be temporarily stored in ram (i mean using the disks on real hardware)

@Galahad has fixed the PAL release, a couple of weeks ago
it deserves a new attempt

Last edited by kremiso; 18 October 2021 at 22:36.
Old 19 October 2021, 01:07   #292
Nightshft

In Mike the Magic Dragon
(sounds like a fun/easy kid's game, doesn't it)

- you have to run around and collect chars to assemble the keyword to reach the next level
- if you happen to collect a char in the wrong order you won't be able to assemble a keyword that works. Because you can't change the order and it must be in correct sequence but luckily ...
- if you die, you lose your collected chars and have to collect them again
- if your Dragon jumps and falls more than a f.... few pixels of additional height of course you die (if you don't immediately use one of your parachutes). Falling from the height of a chair for sure is deadly for your average dragon.
- if you collected all the chars but in the wrong order the keyword is not accepted. so if there is AESV be sure to collect SAVE and not VESA
- if you collected all the chars and the copy protection kicks in the keyword just is not accepted, too. which can lead to serious confusion. you just think you did something wrong (thx ross for cracking it )

- because the game was too easy they installed an additional countdown timer. it's only 1 minute 59, but luckily the dragon moves dead slow

It's just ridiculous

But it's a nice target to train a game with action replay. Without timer, more lives and a little practice it get's fun... And it features nice backgrounds.
Old 22 October 2021, 17:01   #293
kunglao

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
That music though...

Ohh yes...
Old 22 October 2021, 17:13   #294
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshft View Post
In Mike the Magic Dragon

- if your Dragon jumps and falls more than a f.... few pixels of additional height of course you die (if you don't immediately use one of your parachutes). Falling from the height of a chair for sure is deadly for your average dragon.
A game where a dragon needs parachutes. It does not sound like when that game was initially designed, the main character was a dragon

Original entry, that's for sure!
Old 23 October 2021, 23:45   #295
haynor666
retro maniac

Yolanda would be my first though but recently Fire and Ice hit me hard. Starting from temple game is real nightmare.

It's hard to understand why some games on computers/consoles are so hard. It makes sense on arcade but on amiga?!?!
Old 05 November 2021, 14:59   #296
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by haynor666 View Post
It's hard to understand why some games on computers/consoles are so hard. It makes sense on arcade but on amiga?!?!
For the same reason games had points - competition. You don't just play the game, you're playing against your friends (or yourself) trying to outscore them. If games would be easy to beat, that'd defeat the purpose.

That purpose has disappeared. Nowadays AAA games are designed so you are sure to complete them within a set timeframe. Because you have to be ready to buy the next game that the publisher will put out. You can even see that in the outrage that you see when games are postponed because gamers have to shift their agendas around. Sheesh.

... but some games were just poorly translated from arcade to home computer and were still designed as if you had to pump quarters into them.
Old 06 November 2021, 00:14   #297
Torti-the-Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclaw

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Kidding pal ? nah indy 4 CANNOT be stated here as a frustating game.

It's one of the most wonderful game out there !

Well, there are 2 Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis games.

One is the wonderful Graphics Adventure Masterpiece, & the other is the ..... "Action Game" .
http://hol.abime.net/2629

Same with Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

One is a well loved Graphics Adventure Classic & the other is,... well you guessed it, the "Action Game" .... Dear Lord,,, have mercy .
https://hol.abime.net/2631

I remember how disappointed i was back then about that Last Crusade Action Game ; though, "it says LUCASFILM GAMES, it has to be good" , right ?

Well, little did i know

THAT was very disappointing and it thought me ... well something, i guess.

But the most frustrating game on Amiga i ever played is SWORD.

Just play it... go ahead. You will go NUTZ .

THIS game throws so many unfair at you..... you will go

My choice if i ever want to go

Playing SWORD sounds something like this

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Torti-the-Smurf; 06 November 2021 at 01:04. Reason: adding a youtube link
Old 06 November 2021, 00:49   #298
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
If games would be easy to beat, that'd defeat the purpose.
Agree...
And they are defeating it's own purpose, for the last decade.
(making gps in the medieval rpg's, for example)
Old 07 November 2021, 13:41   #299
vbgd
Insider

Have you ever played the Game The Punisher? The game was terrible and I spent 20 DM of my pocket money for it only to get frustrated at home. Nearly unplayable, you fight not against the enemy, you fight with the controls, acting like a punisher from the old peoples home.
Old 08 November 2021, 12:21   #300
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torti-the-Smurf View Post
One is a well loved Graphics Adventure Classic & the other is,... well you guessed it, the "Action Game" .... Dear Lord,,, have mercy .
https://hol.abime.net/2631

I remember how disappointed i was back then about that Last Crusade Action Game ; though, "it says LUCASFILM GAMES, it has to be good" , right ?
Tiertex

I must say of all Tiertex games, Indy 3 action is the least horrible to me, I had some fun with it. It has a good atmosphere to it.

The horrible sound though, why does it have to produce an earwax-liquifying repeating ding sound when you lose energy (which you do all the time, because even air hurts you in that game) :/ Tiertex really had a design philosophy that their games had to be painful to play.