English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.AmigaOS

Old 20 January 2022, 10:52   #1
stylon

OS3.2 Install fails - unless I disable my Blizzard 1230...

So I'm trying to do a clean install of 3.2 on my A1200. I've got a nice blank CF card installed and I'm booting off the Install3.2 disk. Boots up to workbench and looks fine until I try to interact with it. I cannot move the mouse! Workbench doesn't appear to have completely frozen because if I switch disks the floppy icon changes. I have the physical 3.2 ROMs installed.

I've unplugged my PCMCIA network card. I've tried booting off a real floppy in DF0 and also off the ADF version via my external Gotek (DF1) via the boot menu screen.

I've also tried this with the CF card containing my 3.1.4 install in case it was something funny with the card.

My A1200 has a Blizzard 1230 IV with SCSI card and 64MB RAM. Attached to the SCSI is a CDROM and Zip Drive. No discs are in either device. It has an external Gotek as DF1 and I also have an Indivision Mk3. My mouse works fine with everything else.

I should add that everything worked just fine and dandy with my 3.1.4 install.

Any ideas please?

Last edited by stylon; 21 January 2022 at 09:23. Reason: Changed title to better reflect my issue
Old 20 January 2022, 17:46   #2
thomas

Can you move the mouse pointer with the keyboard? (Hold down one of the Amiga keys and use the cursor keys to move the mouse, use left and right Alt keys to press left resp. right mouse button. Hold down Shift in addition to move the pointer more quickly.)

What kind of mouse is it? Where is it connected to?

Can you enter the early startup menu (hold down both mouse buttons after reset)? Does the mouse move there?
Old 20 January 2022, 23:51   #3
stylon

Hey thanks for responding, appreciate it.

Sadly the mouse pointer didn't budge when I tried what you suggested. Not really sure the keyboard even works after workbench has booted, although caps lock light does come on when pressed.

Mouse is an optical Amiga mouse I got off Amikit years ago and works perfectly with everything else - including the early startup which is how I was getting my Amiga to boot from the ADF's in DF1.

Incidentally I have also now tried disconnecting my chain of SCSI devices and disconnecting my Gotek from DF1 but still no joy.
Old 20 January 2022, 23:57   #4
stylon

Ok I just tried something else... I disabled my Blizzard 1230 card by holding the '2' key down on boot - and it booted up off the 3.2 floppy without a hitch.

Not sure how to proceed now that I know it's something to do with the Blizzard? Do I go ahead and partition my CF card and install 3.2 with the card disabled or is there something I can do to fix whatever the problem is from the start?
Old 21 January 2022, 11:18   #5
thomas

That's a strange symptom that apparently multitasking / Workbench is still working and only input processing is stuck.

Could be worth a try to use a fully installed OS, and possibly also install the mulibs for 030 support.
Old 23 January 2022, 19:59   #6
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

So the mouse works in the boot menu ?

Can you boot in step by step mode ? This could show the place when the mouse gets locked. So keep moving the moue while accepting each startup-sequence line.
Old 23 January 2022, 20:06   #7
stylon

I got to the bottom of it in the end. I disabled the maprom feature of the Blizzard and the problem went away!