English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 24 May 2022, 23:02   #1
jotd
This cat is no more

Which games do you plan to complete ... again

Games you're planning to complete are one thing. Maybe you can't because it's too hard, you don't know the game and you're going to be fed up like it

BUT, like a cheesy Arnie movie, which are the games that you completed one or several times and you're planning to complete again over and over until you just can't hold a joystick?

For me it will be

Gods (can't really complete it on Amiga since it wraps up but playing through levels 1 to 4 once or twice qualifies). This level design is awesome.
Chaos Engine: re-did that in 2020. What's cool is that you can select different characters, use 2 player...
Supercars 2: quick and casual, can be completed several times a day.
Magic Pockets: can't really complete it from level 1, rather with passwords, but still love that game with all the secrets (like most Bitmap Bros games)
Cadaver: I have to look for the solution every 5 minutes but great atmosphere
Flashback: (added after someone mentionned it): completed it a few times, maybe I'll re-do it. Not very hard, but it's a bit long

Aaand that's it. I can't force myself to complete Doom, Push Over, First Samurai, other few other games that cost me too much time and not that great replay value. Not sure if I completed a lot more than that either...

Not a thread where you boast that you completed such and such, just which games have a good replay value and are finishable many times without being bored. Also games with level codes can be replayed partially, which is great.

Last edited by jotd; 26 May 2022 at 10:43.
Old 24 May 2022, 23:53   #2
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

So many. So, so many. So I'll stick to some classics only

I'm currently replaying Dune 2 (PC, Dosbox) for the umpteenth time, but I think I'll stick to the Harkonnen campaign and call that a day. Its the coolest voice What can I say, I love me some Dune. Can't wait for Spice Wars to be a little more complete.

Doom 1 & 2 I pretty much complete every 6 months or so solo or coop - and nowadays I actually play the Bethesda versions with a controller. Plays like a charm. Big disagreement on the replay value for that one, I just love zipping through the levels like a ninja and absolutely decimating the hordes of enemies. I should add Doom 64 to the roster, much more difficult game that is.

Definitely been cracking at Supercars 2 on the mini with a crud controller. I'm going to master that game that way, mark my words. Timeless game. I never actually completed it back in the day though, I got a corrupted track eventually on the hard difficulty. I was probably one or two tracks away.

Yeah Monkey Island 1-2-3a, full talky versions. I can complete them blindfolded at this point but I just love the humor, the voice acting and the music. The same for most Sierra adventures (except for the music) where you had to type in commands, can replay them forever. It becomes a challenge to see if I still have it fully memorized. Except for Kings Quest 3 of course, there is no way I'm remembering all those spells

Silent Hill PS1 and Silent Hill 2 PS2 would be other strong contenders. Rigid gameplay and pretty bad voice acting but such powerful experiences, SH1 being uncomfortable and freaky and Silent Hill 2 being more of an emotional roller coaster. I might toss in a Silent Hill 3 if I'm hungry for more but I don't particularly enjoy the puzzles in that game.

Talking about time wasters - Final Fantasy 7 & 9. I feel obligated to experience those every couple of years, and nowadays I can comfortably do that with PC ports and a few added quality of life improvements.
Old 25 May 2022, 04:53   #3
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

The only Amiga game I play these days (besides WallyWare Solitaire) is The Settlers. I pick the three ugliest bastards and play until they're completely wiped out. I often think of the quote from The Godfather Part II, "Do you want to wipe everybody out?" "I don't feel that I have to wipe everybody out... just my enemies".
Old 25 May 2022, 06:06   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Turrican II (and I, much less III) for the Amiga.
Chaos Engine (co-op with my wife)
Day of the Tentacle (the humour is just on point and for me didn't get less funny since its release)
Doom II (and I a bit less often)
Monkey Island (the whole series with exception of Escape that I can only stomach once every decade )
Stardew Valley
Old 25 May 2022, 06:30   #5
RichL

Cannon Fodder. Legit did it once back in the day using original disks not the crack with the trainer.
Old 25 May 2022, 12:55   #6
OmaOhneBH

Another World and Flashback, didn't make it to the end BITD.
Old 25 May 2022, 15:50   #7
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quite often I find myself playing following games (sometimes on different consoles/computers):

Alien Breed
Another World
Chaos Engine
Colonization
Flashback
Lionheart
Pinball Fantasies
Premiere
Syndicate
Turrican

Just a few months ago played Days of the Tentacles twice, to get all achievements on the PC. Full Throttle is another game I would start just for music and voice well done.

About month ago replayed Cannon Fodder, but god stuck on level 19. This is second time this happened to me.

Every couple of years I would start Civ II or x-Com / UFO: Enemy Unknown, and have a playthrough. (using OpenXcom for UFO)

Last edited by Anubis; 25 May 2022 at 20:40.
Old 25 May 2022, 17:55   #8
wiz12

SWOS - career mode, the game lets you manage for around 40 seasons and then you retire but that's not long enough so I always start over again.

K240 - completed this many times but I always find myself replaying it over an over.
Old 26 May 2022, 05:01   #9
marcfrick2112
Amiga Fanatic

Turrican, Wiz and Liz, and James Pond II
Old 26 May 2022, 05:59   #10
stevsurv
Beta 1.666

Dungeonmaster, Eob, Eob2.
DungeonMaster sounds awesome with headphones on when playing.
You can hear how far away the monsters are and how close as well. Well thought out game.
Old 26 May 2022, 09:27   #11
nikosidis

What comes to mind is Chaos Engine 1 and 2, Xenon 2 and Necronom.
Old 26 May 2022, 10:30   #12
kremiso

Turrican I and II every now and then, just to keep myself trained
with the recently add of Turrican AGA project

Megalomania, Millennium2.2 and Lost Patrol are other games i have completed a lot of times

also It came from the desert, Lords of the rising sun and Wings

never reached to play correctly Antheads, it came from the desert sequel
i don't like it, the story seems a bit too much messy

too much senile to finally reach to complete Shadow of the beast 1 or 2, without trainer
completed both a lot of times cheating ofc
in the first chapter, imo just a full strenght potion in the first part of the castle level would fix everything, that part is really hard
Old 26 May 2022, 13:48   #13
Anubis
Retro Gamer

One game that I constantly forget about, but every time I would end up playing, sometimes all the way to the end - Pang!

Such a nice arcade conversion that worked on A500 without issues.
Old 26 May 2022, 15:19   #14
ImmortalA1000

None to be honest, life is too short for the sheer quantiy of AAA quality 8 to 16 bit home computer games that made a mockery of VCS to N64 cartridge prices and made console ownership of limited use as far as enjoyment goes.

If it happens it happens but thank god for trained copies of games. I don't need to finish Shadow of the Beast or It Came from the Desert to love those games
Old 27 May 2022, 00:52   #15
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Impossible Mission.
Old 27 May 2022, 09:36   #16
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalA1000 View Post
or It Came from the Desert
I'm adding that one to my list, back in the day I got as far as getting a first ant attack and then I wussed out (I was a small child and afraid of everything)
Old 27 May 2022, 10:18   #17
Fiery Phoenix

I do like re-playing the point and click adventures, Monkey Island, etc - bar Escape (as above poster stated) good to see if I remember the puzzles

Usually re-play Fate of Atlantis as love that game so much (the PC talkie version especially)

Agree about Flashback - can be a bit of a slog - that level when doing all those tasks, going back and forth - but still a great game
Old 27 May 2022, 10:52   #18
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery Phoenix View Post
Usually re-play Fate of Atlantis as love that game so much (the PC talkie version especially)
Only the "Together" path though, I don't particularly enjoy the other two paths as much. But it was cool how they could orchestrate different progressions through the same areas and reach the same conclusion. This game is such a labour of love.
Old 27 May 2022, 10:57   #19
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Alien Fish Finger. Always pleasure to play and discover all the secrets.
Old 27 May 2022, 11:08   #20
Fiery Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Only the "Together" path though, I don't particularly enjoy the other two paths as much. But it was cool how they could orchestrate different progressions through the same areas and reach the same conclusion. This game is such a labour of love.
Yes! Always the Together path - some good banter between them. Played the other paths and good to see some different locations though. I still feel this is the peak of point & click adventuring, never been bettered (imho)