English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.UAE Wishlist

Old 27 February 2004, 13:17   #1
Chipmunk_UK_1

Send a message via ICQ to Chipmunk_UK_1 Send a message via MSN to Chipmunk_UK_1 Send a message via Yahoo to Chipmunk_UK_1
Windows desktop as a public screen?

Apologies if this has been requested allready...

A neat feature that I would think many people would like to see, is the ability to use the windows desktop as a public screen in workbench (e.g. have a workbench window visible on the windows desktop as a normal window.)

Now i'm not talking about having the amiga desktop in a window here.. I'm talking about having a workbench window (or application) on the normal windows desktop...

Does that make sense?
Old 27 February 2004, 17:28   #2
Jim

The title is misleading for the request you want, I cannot think of a suitable title or how this would be easy for Toni to implemement, or why he would do it if in fact it could be done at all.

For what purpose would you want this? To be able to copy/paste to/from the Wndows clipboard? You can already do this with a add-on from what I remember - I only really use WinUAE for games and disassembling. I presume you have ran WinUAE in windowed mode ?

Old 27 February 2004, 19:28   #3
Chipmunk_UK_1

Send a message via ICQ to Chipmunk_UK_1 Send a message via MSN to Chipmunk_UK_1 Send a message via Yahoo to Chipmunk_UK_1
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim
The title is misleading for the request you want, I cannot think of a suitable title or how this would be easy for Toni to implemement, or why he would do it if in fact it could be done at all.

For what purpose would you want this? To be able to copy/paste to/from the Wndows clipboard? You can already do this with a add-on from what I remember - I only really use WinUAE for games and disassembling. I presume you have ran WinUAE in windowed mode ?
I have indeed ran WinUAE in windowed mode, and it works great..

I can't say that I really need this feature, it's more for the kewlness factor

an old mock up is here \/\/\/

This image was made ages ago when I first thought of this idea (waaay back when there weren't any plugins for playing modules and such in winamp, and no deliplayer pc )

It was just a thought... I've not a clue how this could be done (some pretty deep hooks would have to be placed in workbench for it to work, which I am in no place to even consider attempting)...

Sorry if this is such a stupid idea.. I just thought it would be cool
Old 27 February 2004, 19:37   #4
abelthorne

I'd say that your screenshot is only an Amiga skin for Winamp. The program itself is still Winamp, not Amigaamp (or whatever it's called), I guess.

Anyway, I believe that what you want to do is far beyond the capabilities of an emulator (it would need to integrate the emulation right inside Windows).
Old 27 February 2004, 19:58   #5
Jim

Quote:
Anyway, I believe that what you want to do is far beyond the capabilities of an emulator (it would need to integrate the emulation right inside Windows).
Thanks to Micro$oft, getting Intel code to integrate properly with Windows is hard enough - let alone Motorola code!

Old 27 February 2004, 20:58   #6
Amiga1992

OK here's a mad idea.

This looks like the siamese system.

Weird experiment follows:

Get the Siames esystem thing. dunno if it is being sold or if you can pinch it from some website.

Load the PC side of things

Boot up WinUAE.
Load up teh Amiga side of things.

configure the emulated amiga to display its screens on a Siamese screen at the PC, using the loopback (127.0.0.1). Now this might bring some issues, the amiga and the PC share the same IP, right? (toni?). I am not sure about this but maybe you can do it?
Old 27 February 2004, 23:37   #7
Djay
95th User

even with my limited knowledge of coding, this seems like a really difficult task to run Workbench apps in Windows, which is what presume you mean?!?!?

but yeah it would be great.... infact... why don't someone make Workbench for the PC instead of Windows?!??!
Old 06 July 2004, 14:47   #8
kokoko3k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djay
even with my limited knowledge of coding, this seems like a really difficult task to run Workbench apps in Windows, which is what presume you mean?!?!?

but yeah it would be great.... infact... why don't someone make Workbench for the PC instead of Windows?!??!

He's named AROS (www.aros.org) , get a look, is AmigaOS port for i386.

Old 06 July 2004, 15:19   #9
oldpx

I think I misunderstood but you want two, very different things:

1-Ability to use the windows desktop as a public screen in workbench
2-Having a workbench window on the normal windows desktop

Second one doesn't sound very useful because it'll create a hybrid and probably very buggy user interface but the first one is a brilliant idea if leftamiga+m works faster than alt+tab as it already is on real amigas.