chip

You are probably right, i already know

But i only want to check which ADFs are actually

Perhaps there's nothing interesting, but you never know
Old 10 August 2020, 18:18   #22
DanC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post
Don't get me wrong but one person's adf gotek usb setup, won't work when transferred to another usb & gotek device...

Each game is allocated to each slot via the amiga/gotek manually.
huh? I think you are wrong here, SquawkBox package works very well, you choose between all the adf.s in the package and assign it to slot 1,2,3 etc.
I really dont understand what you mean?

/dan
Old 11 August 2020, 23:54   #23
ransom1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanC View Post
huh? I think you are wrong here, SquawkBox package works very well, you choose between all the adf.s in the package and assign it to slot 1,2,3 etc.
I really dont understand what you mean?

/dan
Correct.. you have too manually assign each adf to each slot. You can't have one ore configured on usb without reassigning adf to slots
Old 12 August 2020, 01:13   #24
jono1975

Hopefully it will be visible on the ftp sites soon.
Old 12 August 2020, 02:31   #25
chip

Yep, i guess so

We must only wait with a little of patience
Old 12 August 2020, 12:49   #26
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Folder unlocked
not by a GM
by Turran (but maybe he asked a GM beforehand)
let's wish him luck!
So now, all you have to do folks is :

[ Show youtube player ]

Thanks for your interest.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 12 August 2020 at 12:56.
Old 12 August 2020, 13:25   #27
chip

Nice .... thanks SquawkBox
Old 25 March 2021, 03:36   #28
SquawkBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post
Correct.. you have too manually assign each adf to each slot.
Not if you use Jeff's HxC Floppy Emulator manager, at least the version he fixed a few months ago. One can populate, "pre-assign" so to speak, each of the 999 slots of the Gotek that way. The command to use is the following :
Code:
HXCFEMNG.exe -disk:F:  -setslots:mylist.txt
where F: is the letter Windows assigned to your flash drive. It will read a txt file on your local drive that reflects the exact ADF's location / position on your flash drive and fill in the necessary entries in a config file that the Gotek will rely on at boot up time. IMHO, at the end of the day, it doesn't matter much if you have modified your Gotek with the LCD mod or not. Just have the slot list displayed on your smartphone next to your miggy or something, and voila.

Since Akira withdrawn his Gotek game pack for reasons peculiar to him, I thought I could come up with something of the same stripe. So I worked on a bunch of ADF's, games that were cracked which I particularly appreciate and commend. You won't find a couple of "classics" which I can't be bothered to play. That's why I made an additional pack, in case some of you would like to make adjustments of your own. Nevertheless, even with that in mind, my selection is partial, I didn't want to make a "best selling games" or "most voted" list, just the games I like most or that I am most likely to play for an extended period of time (so please, don't bother asking me "where is Lotus 2 ?" or "how could you have omitted Chaos Engine 2 ?" I do have heterogeneous tastes, that's how it is).
One other point worth mentioning is that I included save files in ADF format for any given game that supports them, they are labeled Disk_1a, Disk_1b.
So featured on the file server, under SquawkBox Upload folder, you will find (free of any ks, wb files) :
  • Pete's Gotek pack, that's the one I talked about in August 2020. There was a small issue that chip made me aware of. Because of that, I had to delete / reupload it once more, no need to re-download the pack if you have done so in the first place
  • That new Gotek game pack, let's call it SquawkBox's GOTEK Game Pack 1.0
By the way, the support files from Pete's pack may be obsolete, it's his contribution so I'll leave it unaltered. Don't hesitate to share your comments and feedback about this little project. It really made my life easier to tap into DamienD collection content while looking for the right set of ADF's for certain games, so greetings goes to him. Oh, last but not least, you may use a 1 GB flash drive with that collection, thus keeping your bigger ones for other purposes.
In case you wonder, the additional pack contains among other : Games that might be too slow on an plain A500 "better on AGA" as I would designate these, English versions of games that bear French language solely in the main pack, a couple of interesting games in German, games that are presented as extended ADF's (e.q. Ambermoon) for which no proper set of standard ADF's was released...

Last edited by SquawkBox; 26 March 2021 at 03:40.
Old 25 March 2021, 17:38   #29
SquawkBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122
Is there a txt list handy you can share so i can compare against akira's set that I use ?
(from PM) Firstly, if there hadn't been an Akira Gotek pack, probably there wouldn't have been a SquawkBox Gotek pack, so kudos to him too.
Secondly, it's all right for people to ask questions or emit remarks in this thread, these packs consists of a bunch of ADF's arranged for use on a real A500, after all.
Thirdly, I have based my thinking on Akira's solution as if it was a "template". That means the following : You will find (more or less) the same kind of support files and documentation, namely a plain text file for each of the packs' content, along with a Slot List in PDF format (check it here).

As a side note, it's perfectly fine to upgrade the firmware, but the bootloader can be left untouched.
Quote:
New features and bugfixes are rare. In general you do not need to update the bootloader and can skip these steps.
The reason I am saying this is because I've noticed some Gotek users copy both update files at the root of the flash drive. Should you do it that way, it can be confusing to check what was updated and what wasn't afterwards. Also, if you encounter issues while assigning ADF's to slots, make sure firstly, that you're using the latest version of the HxC Floppy Emulator manager (it's available for linux too), secondly, that your USB flash drive can deal with raw copy mode e.q. my rugged Transcend 16GB one seems unable to accept any data when using the HXCFEMNG command line tool.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 26 March 2021 at 03:42.
Old 26 March 2021, 23:28   #30
SquawkBox

The most fitting Lure Of the Temptress set of ADF's has yet to be released IMHO. Check this thread :
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=1473353

Why am I saying this ?
Simply put, the Flashtro / Musashi9 version I previously included in my Gotek pack doesn't allow the use of standard 800k ADF as Data(s) Disk(s).

Here are your options :
  • Use the bugfixed Flashtro version if you're ready to finish the game in a sit (game is short anyway)
  • Use the Fairlight version (the one included in this hotfix) if you'd use the included Data Disk "Lure Of the Temptress (1992)(Virgin)_Disk1a.adf" to save your progress
The above mentioned Data Disk I grabbed from the file server is ready to use, no need to format it using the game routines.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 12 November 2022 at 19:48.
Old 09 April 2021, 03:20   #31
danielktdoranie

Hi! Seems the file is no longer on Mega... could someone re-upload? Thanks!

https://files.catbox.moe/2yi45m.png
Old 09 April 2021, 03:47   #32
chip

I think these packs are in the upload folder on the ftp now
Old 09 April 2021, 16:25   #33
SquawkBox

Much obliged that my humble Gotek project is appreciated. I took the demos offered by the retrocloud store seller and included them into an "ALT" pack along with second fiddle games (so to speak) and a bunch of old school demos I used to enjoy watching (very widespread chip, nothing rare). Through the implementation of my method of sorting games in order to keep the counter under 1 000, some titles from the main pack with a tad less appeal went into the ALT pack (Ork, Shuttle, etc.), and the other way round (Kid Gloves, after having a ball while reading the infamous Rick Dangerous VS Kid Gloves thread from 2006 ) .
I can mirror the packs on Mega if you want me to. v1.1.2 of the main pack to be expected in the next few weeks.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 20 June 2021 at 05:50.
Old 20 June 2021, 06:20   #34
SquawkBox

OK guys, I finished updating the Gotek game packs
Both are on the file server since this morning for you to download

Here are some Mega links to have access to the list pertaining to each of the pack in PDF format. So if you want to check the content of :
SquawkBox's GOTEK Game Pack v1.1.2
click on https://tinyurl.com/4ep33mhs

or rather of SquawkBox's ALT GOTEK Game Pack v1.01
click on https://tinyurl.com/bb4acp9h

Any suggestions and / or comments welcome. You may notice neither Bloodwych nor Captive were included, that's my prerogative hehe . Phew, testing all of these games on my miggy was quite a repetitive routine ! I included a ReadMe text file to account for the numerous changes since previous version.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 20 June 2021 at 07:45.
Old 28 June 2021, 12:25   #35
SquawkBox

First hotfix for the main package
Concerns Super Monaco Grand Prix
Download extract / overwrite the ADF with this version, the "single filed" one fails to load on my miggy (which implies chances are it won't load on yours) so I propose the Quartex version instead.

https://tinyurl.com/42cd45c7

Last edited by SquawkBox; 29 June 2021 at 23:45.
Old 01 July 2021, 12:27   #36
SquawkBox

Another hotfix for the main package
concerns Garrison II (I & II)
Download extract / replace the ADF's with this version, the Blizzard one is marred by the issue Slayer described here :
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=114896&postcount=17
so I propose the HFE v3 version instead (converted from the IPF's)
The archive includes updated lists

https://tinyurl.com/rf63465u
Old 04 July 2021, 13:25   #37
SquawkBox

Both packages updated
As usual, grab them from the file server
I've deleted previous ones, hope no one was in the middle of a download
SquawkBox's GOTEK Game Pack v1.1.3 listing in PDF format :
https://tinyurl.com/474r2hb8

SquawkBox's ALT GOTEK Game Pack v1.02 listing in PDF format :
https://tinyurl.com/5ep499nu

In the long run, I might proceed with mailing list. Have fun, Gotek crowd .
Old 24 July 2021, 14:31   #38
New Sky

Hello,

I have never tested the Gotek, but from what you can read, it looks nice and practical. it is a very good idea to have made this discussion to have complements on it or something else !

Thank you !
Old 24 July 2021, 15:30   #39
SquawkBox

For the CPC, especially pre-6128 models, I made a quick search and realized the DDI3 USB Floppy Emulator would be less of a hassle to install compared to a regular Gotek. Not the most pleasant to the eye device (reminds me of those action replay cartridge at the back of the PS1) but does the job just fine apparently.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 24 July 2021 at 17:02.
Old 28 July 2021, 12:52   #40
New Sky

Hello,

It reminds me of my RAM extension (64 KB) that I had for the CPC 464 in addition to the floppy drive !

So much memories !