English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 11 June 2021, 20:12   #1341
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses13 View Post
If PC/Mac, what's the process of getting them from Photoshop/etc to an Amiga icon?

If you make them on the Amiga, what tools do you use?
I can't answer for him, but the GlowIcons were made by Mason, who also did various previous GlowIcon sets for OS 3.5, 3.9, 4.0 and 4.1. I've no idea what workflow he uses, but whenever I've created GlowIcons, I've used PPaint to create the image, then copied and pasted it into the 3.9 icon editor, where the glow effect is added for the selected image.
Old 11 June 2021, 20:14   #1342
alancfrancis

While we’re talking icons I would pay money for a tool that could take a “classic but clearly designed for an interlace display” icon and did a reasonable job of scaling it vertically by 50% so it didn’t look all weird on my non-interlaced desktop.
Old 11 June 2021, 21:02   #1343
bubbob42

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancfrancis View Post
While we’re talking icons I would pay money for a tool that could take a “classic but clearly designed for an interlace display” icon and did a reasonable job of scaling it vertically by 50% so it didn’t look all weird on my non-interlaced desktop.
I’m confused - which icons are you referring to ? The classic icons shipped with the OS are intended for nonlace, so it’d be cool to have them streched for Interlace.
Old 11 June 2021, 21:27   #1344
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

The best tool for Color/GlowIcon creation would be PPaint with the updated icon save module. Then you can use Iconian, but that has plenty of bugs. You can also use any paint program and then convert the image to an icon. So you have many options already. Let's hope we can have an updated OS provided editor too.
Old 11 June 2021, 21:41   #1345
gulliver
BoingBagged

I enjoy using PeterK's IconLib for converting PNG images (as PNG icons) to GlowIcons.
So I have the freedom to use any painting/drawing program I like.

For retouching GlowIcons I use the 3.9/4.0 IconEdit program.
Old 12 June 2021, 08:50   #1346
Ulysses13

I run non interlaced screenmodes, so my workbench is often a mix of squished and non squished icons which it would be cool to have a solution for.

I prefer to keep the WB menus themselves in proportion, with the old style icons so the new 3.2 glow icons are all stretched on my machine.

A toggle in the IconEdit app to double up or halve the pixels would be really cool.

Last edited by Ulysses13; 12 June 2021 at 09:50.
Old 12 June 2021, 10:01   #1347
Romanujan

And I like MagicWB style - they use just 8 colors (no need for RTG), and despite this they look very rich and colorful. They are very distinct, sometimes fun (HippoPlayer, CED), and easy to alter for everyone. It's a pity they didn't became a standard and are mostly forgotten nowadays.

Last edited by Romanujan; 12 June 2021 at 11:22.
Old 12 June 2021, 15:56   #1348
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

We understand the needs of our community, hence we offered the classic icon set for those that like the authentic feel and need to conserve memory as much as possible.

AmigaOS 3.2 supports MWB 8c theme so you should be fine if you like that. However someone will have to create a package of these icons to help users save some time searching through thousands of these icons and creating some new ones that never existed before. MWB usually looks best in 1:1 aspect resolutions.

Now the new colour icons that are provided are optimized for 16c colour 1:1 screens,
So they should work fine on most classic machines. AGA machines will handle WB in 32/64 colours without getting too slow and be economic on chip ram. Obviously RTG is most fun.

Downscaling our icons automatically is not easy, and to be nice you need a lot of handcrafting to optimize them, something someone can do and share with the community for those that need to use classic 2:1 pixel screens. You will need to work on around 200 images, and downscaling without adding intermediate colours for the exerciser to be a success.
Old 12 June 2021, 16:09   #1349
bni

http://aminet.net/package/pix/mwb/StandardMagicWB17

Is a great, and quite complete, collection of MWB icons. I just used it to switch out every icon in my OS 3.2 install.

There is some icons for programs that are new in 3.2 that didn't have a 100% match, but I just used some other icon that was close.
Old 12 June 2021, 22:32   #1350
Romanujan

StandardMagicWB is actually the most complete MagicWB icon set there.

Unfortunately, no icon set is truly complete, eventually you will come across something you do not have the icon.

Once my real Amiga receives RTG, I might migrate to OS 4.1 FE icon set. There is plenty of icons in this style on OS4Depot.
Old 16 June 2021, 00:56   #1351
eXeler0

Howdy,

I installed 3.2 from a CD on a real Amiga 1200. I installed it over an existing 3.1.4 install. Installation went fine, but after the installation was complete, after the first required reboot, it stops at the error message "Can't find cache". "Assign failed returncode 20" (It never get to loading WB.)
First I though this would be fixed after I swap ROMs to 3.2 but alas, still the same error message with physical 3.2 ROMs (A1200).
Do I need to assign a cache? What is it looking for here?
Thanx
Old 16 June 2021, 08:10   #1352
bubbob42

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Howdy,

I installed 3.2 from a CD on a real Amiga 1200. I installed it over an existing 3.1.4 install. Installation went fine, but after the installation was complete, after the first required reboot, it stops at the error message "Can't find cache". "Assign failed returncode 20" (It never get to loading WB.)
First I though this would be fixed after I swap ROMs to 3.2 but alas, still the same error message with physical 3.2 ROMs (A1200).
Do I need to assign a cache? What is it looking for here?
Thanx
Use trace function of bootmenue to identify the command causing this. You’re most likely running some incompatible patch or program that’s no longer needed with 3.2.
Old 16 June 2021, 08:27   #1353
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbob42 View Post
Use trace function of bootmenue to identify the command causing this. You’re most likely running some incompatible patch or program that’s no longer needed with 3.2.
Ah yes, good suggestion, thanx.
For the record I allowed the installer to remove old (obsolete) versions when prompted.

Edit:
It was some stuff that came with an png datatype that was causing the issue, but thanx to the great new Trace and Failsafe boot options it was easy peasy to sort out.
Many thanx again to the devs. This is the user friendly version of the OS we wanted for a long time. :-)

Last edited by eXeler0; 16 June 2021 at 12:40. Reason: Added follow up
Old 16 June 2021, 16:20   #1354
Laupert

I guess this is probably not a huge deal, but for some reason I'm no longer able to quit Workbench. Even on the first boot after installation, it says I have four programs running in WB.

Anyone have an idea what this might be?
Old 16 June 2021, 16:36   #1355
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laupert View Post
I guess this is probably not a huge deal, but for some reason I'm no longer able to quit Workbench. Even on the first boot after installation, it says I have four programs running in WB.

Anyone have an idea what this might be?
There are some programs installed in WBStartup by default. These will prevent Workbench from quitting. I do wonder though why you want to quit Workbench?
Old 16 June 2021, 17:06   #1356
Laupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
There are some programs installed in WBStartup by default. These will prevent Workbench from quitting. I do wonder though why you want to quit Workbench?
It's probably from using Windows for so many years that turning of the computer's power supply without shutting down the os feels like a mortal sin
Old 16 June 2021, 21:35   #1357
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laupert View Post
It's probably from using Windows for so many years that turning of the computer's power supply without shutting down the os feels like a mortal sin
Haha, fair enough. Something like this might relieve that itch somewhat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ATXShutdown.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	72319  
Old 17 June 2021, 14:30   #1358
kamelito
Zone Friend

@thedevteam
What would be nice of you is to release all datas from CIX and BIX servers at least for historical reasons. I don’t wanna hear excuses, sensible data’s if they exists might be omitted. Your thoughts?
Old 17 June 2021, 20:18   #1359
bubbob42

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
@thedevteam
What would be nice of you is to release all datas from CIX and BIX servers at least for historical reasons. I don’t wanna hear excuses, sensible data’s if they exists might be omitted. Your thoughts?
Someone would have to scan everything for personal/sensible data and remove it. Lots of work.

Oh, you didn't want to hear excuses. D'oh.
Old 17 June 2021, 20:58   #1360
kamelito
Zone Friend

Isn’t electronics versions available? All these were stored in servers right?