English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 08 May 2021, 13:01   #1
Syntrax

Soundcard for A1200

I'm busy upgrading my 1200. I know there used to be sound cards for the 1200 that connected to the clock port. They are no longer sold, why's that? if they were usefull you could think that someone would make them. I've got a prisma music card but that is pretty useless. Yeah, it plays mp3 and that's it.

So, are A1200 sound card supported by software or are they simple a niche that only works with one or two programs?

Old 08 May 2021, 17:07   #2
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

If it uses AHI drivers, it works with lots of things. If it uses MHI drivers like the Prisma Megamix, it supports music players that use MP3, Ogg Vorbis and the like.
Old 08 May 2021, 19:56   #3
kriz

I read there was some plans to make more of the Prisma Megamix card ( https://amigakit.amiga.store/prisma-...rd-p-1218.html ) but I have not heard recently what is happening with them.. Is for sure interest in 16bit sound cards for Amiga still, hope someone pops up with a new product soon ... -- Prisma Is useless btw ? Please give some feedback on your prisma experience, I dont have one but it seems very interesting..
Old 09 May 2021, 01:00   #4
redblade
Zone Friend

I keep hoping that Chucky, Zetro or Amigakit might make an A1200 Fast Ram expansion with a DSP56K on it.
Old 09 May 2021, 10:35   #5
Syntrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriz View Post
I read there was some plans to make more of the Prisma Megamix card ( https://amigakit.amiga.store/prisma-...rd-p-1218.html ) but I have not heard recently what is happening with them.. Is for sure interest in 16bit sound cards for Amiga still, hope someone pops up with a new product soon ... -- Prisma Is useless btw ? Please give some feedback on your prisma experience, I dont have one but it seems very interesting..
Lets put some nuance to "useless"
- Prisma card really only capable of playing MP3/Ogg
- support in software is severely limited
- if your internal clock port is occupied by a RTC (when you've got a Vampire) you'll need a expander;
- If you've got a Blizzard PPC/WarpUp1260 or Vampire, Paula can do the job

I've got two of those strong enough cards so I don't need it anymore.

Old 09 May 2021, 12:41   #6
trixster
Guru Meditating

The Prisma is an excellent card, and I'm not surprised people are still trying to get one even though they appear to have been discontinued. Seamless mp3, ogg and flac support, great for internet radio. They have a clockport too if you're using them in big-box amigas (as I am). Highly recommended.

The complaints that its not an ahi sound cards is daft - the prisma was designed and marketed as a music card, and for doing that it's great.
Old 09 May 2021, 16:23   #7
nikosidis

I think the Prisma solution is great but the thread starter asked for a sound card.
You have to find 2nd hand. There where Delfina soundcard made for A1200 and at least one other.
Old 09 May 2021, 17:25   #8
grelbfarlk

There was also the Melody 1200, 1200+, 1200 Pro for the clockport which had AHI drivers.
Old 09 May 2021, 19:55   #9
Daedalus

I too missed the boat on the original run of Prisma boards and have been waiting for years for the fabled second batch. Maybe some day...

I guess there's less demand for things like soundcards these days - even though popularity is increasing, it's mostly in the domain of WHDLoad gaming machines and not really in the 16-bit audio recording realm.
Old 09 May 2021, 21:27   #10
Syntrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
I too missed the boat on the original run of Prisma boards and have been waiting for years for the fabled second batch. Maybe some day...

I guess there's less demand for things like soundcards these days - even though popularity is increasing, it's mostly in the domain of WHDLoad gaming machines and not really in the 16-bit audio recording realm.
Perhaps, you can still get it here.

https://www.amedia-computer.com/en/a...a-megamix.html

But first ask them. I once ordered something from them, only to get an email that said: we regret to inform you that we no longer have this item, you will be refunded.

Old 09 May 2021, 23:50   #11
E-Penguin
Banana

I'd quite like an AHI-compatible clockport card primarily because it's possible and I like to trick out my Amiga with all the things. I don't *need* half the stuff I've got but I like having it!
Old 09 May 2021, 23:58   #12
nikosidis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post

You know this could very well be a chip issue. Not possible to get anymore. mp3 hardware decoders etc. The audio chips in old audio cards like Delfina is for sure not possible to get. You then have to make new drivers for AHI for a new soundchip. That is not easy.
Old 10 May 2021, 11:43   #13
crazyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Penguin View Post
I'd quite like an AHI-compatible clockport card primarily because it's possible and I like to trick out my Amiga with all the things. I don't *need* half the stuff I've got but I like having it!
Oh that is so true for me as well!
Old 10 May 2021, 13:27   #14
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntrax View Post
Perhaps, you can still get it here.

https://www.amedia-computer.com/en/a...a-megamix.html

But first ask them. I once ordered something from them, only to get an email that said: we regret to inform you that we no longer have this item, you will be refunded.
I asked all the stores a couple of years ago and they had none then, so I doubt that's changed. But thanks.

Quote:
I don't *need* half the stuff I've got but I like having it!
Indeed There are varying levels of "need" - very few people actually need anything Amiga, though there are lots of Amiga things I really wouldn't like to be without.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosidis View Post
You know this could very well be a chip issue. Not possible to get anymore. mp3 hardware decoders etc. The audio chips in old audio cards like Delfina is for sure not possible to get. You then have to make new drivers for AHI for a new soundchip. That is not easy.
Indeed, but the last time I checked, the chips used in the Prisma were pretty generic off-the-shelf parts that were still widely available. It's a relatively modern card and, like many newer peripherals, is based on the types of chips that are popular in Arduino and similar creator communities. I guess there's either a rights/motivation issue, an issue with some modifications or updates that are taking a long time to resolve, or not enough apparent demand to warrant another production run.
Old 10 May 2021, 19:59   #15
E-Penguin
Banana

I guess some sort of clockport to raspberry pi might be just the job. If a pi can upscale the graphics to 1080p it should be able to play a few mp3s...
Old 10 May 2021, 20:14   #16
daxb

Primary a sound card is not for playing audio files (that is just bonus) and in an Amiga it has other use cases. If you want to play audio files via a Raspberry Pi then just do it. You can place a RPi where do you like. If an AHI driver exists for RPi + sound card HAT or USB then it should be usable as an Amiga sound card.
Old 10 May 2021, 20:17   #17
E-Penguin
Banana

If someone knows how to bit bang SPI you could whip up a sound card using something like this. Handles ogg, mp3, wav...

http://www.vlsi.fi/en/products/vs1063.html
Old 10 May 2021, 20:51   #18
Syntrax

If someone could connect a Rpi to the clock port, it could do audio and USB. USB would also be very usefull. Booting the PI however could be an issue, you don't want your amiga waiting for the audio processor or the USB connector

Old 10 May 2021, 20:55   #19
Daedalus

Quote:
If someone knows how to bit bang SPI you could whip up a sound card using something like this. Handles ogg, mp3, wav...

http://www.vlsi.fi/en/products/vs1063.html
Yep, that's the same codec chip that's used on the Prisma. There are also SPI host adaptors for the clockport that would do much of the bitbanging for you. There was also talk of an AHI driver being in the works for the Prisma, presumably using the PCM streaming mode of that chip, but I don't think it ever came to anything - perhaps the latency is too high to be a viable alternative to a true soundcard? Ugh, if only I had the time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntrax View Post
If someone could connect a Rpi to the clock port, it could do audio and USB. USB would also be very usefull. Booting the PI however could be an issue, you don't want your amiga waiting for the audio processor or the USB connector
Connecting a Pi to the clockport is simple - that's not the problem. The real issue is the software - getting the Pi to present itself as a nice, multifunction card that can do audio, USB, ethernet, Wifi etc., and then the counterpart drivers on the Amiga side - USB drivers, AHI drivers SANA drivers... The Amiga community seems to lack the low-level software people these days.
Old 10 May 2021, 22:06   #20
utri007
mä vaan

SPI for a clockpot would be way to go.