English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 11 June 2023, 00:38   #41
kkong

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremiso View Post
in this @vulture one, some overscan titles are also present, marked with (O) :

https://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p...40&postcount=1
Pac-Mania uses overscan but isn't marked as such on that list.
Old 11 June 2023, 01:18   #42
vulture

"The grading of the games in the list is not complete regarding the (N) , (FS) and (O) attributes, just what is checked so far."

Marked Pacmania, thx!
Old 13 June 2023, 11:30   #43
kremiso

wondering if that very large horizontal area used in that Fire! game can be full displayed correctly with newest monitors
i suppose yes

its interesting more titles used a larger vertical area as overscan, as ie Jim Power seems doing

maybe preferred due the @ross mentioned issues, horizontally talking
Old 13 June 2023, 14:13   #44
touko

kid chaos did it perfectly;and with 2 layers .
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 15 June 2023, 22:54   #45
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by touko View Post
kid chaos did it perfectly;and with 2 layers .
[ Show youtube player ]
It is an Amiga-First game (as per my previous comment), and it not only uses a second parallax layer, but also 3 zones for that layer to accommodate sky, forest, and a ground parallax with a bit of perspective, animated foreground (at least the waterline), and music+SFX. A technically accomplished game.

It looks to be a bit like Sonic, I'm in a bit of an arcade mood so I'm trying games again. Could be fun if there's less map-memorizing like for Sonic. I should try it.

Should be posted in that Megadrive thread for some
Old 16 June 2023, 09:36   #46
kremiso

yeah, Kid Chaos seems the better entry, as gfx features used combined with wide video area displayed

horizontally, seems using the same Jim Power screen size, it seems full screen more than overscan, not sure

some games used an even larger one, despite yes inferior as things on screen

@Photon imo it does require a trainer to be better played, as it is it lacks on playability
Old 16 June 2023, 11:18   #47
touko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
It looks to be a bit like Sonic, I'm in a bit of an arcade mood so I'm trying games again. Could be fun if there's less map-memorizing like for Sonic. I should try it.
you didn't know this game ?

Quote:
A technically accomplished game.
I agree totaly, i don't know how people can always take SOTB for the technical showcase of what amiga can do, when kid chaos destroy it in every way, except for musics maybe,beast musics are really master pieces .

Quote:
Should be posted in that Megadrive thread for some
Not a bad idea .

Quote:
@Photon imo it does require a trainer to be better played, as it is it lacks on playability
Yeah, it looks and smell like sonic, but without the fun and playability, a good game though .

Another exemple of what the MD and snes can't do but amiga did(at 55:31) :
[ Show youtube player ]

8 way scrolling+2 layers of parallaxes+a real time zooming boss with palette change .

Last edited by touko; 16 June 2023 at 16:57.
Old 16 June 2023, 12:11   #48
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Quote:
8 way scrolling+2 layers of parallaxes+a real time zooming boss with palette change .
Background parallax layer is just 2 x hardware sprites repeated down the screen.

The SNES can easily do that zooming (maybe the MD could too actually )
Old 16 June 2023, 12:22   #49
AestheticDebris

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanScott View Post
Background parallax layer is just 2 x hardware sprites repeated down the screen.

Yeah, fairly primitive for a SNES, just have a Mode 7 layer with the boss on and you can zoom it easily. There are various in game examples like Bowser fight in SMW or various enemies in R-Type 3. The only difference is a SNES equivalent would probably rotate it at the same time to look extra snazzy.

Last edited by AestheticDebris; 16 June 2023 at 12:34.
Old 16 June 2023, 13:11   #50
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
I agree totaly, i don't know how people can always take SOTB for the technical showcase of what amiga can do, when kid chaos destroy it in every way, except for musics maybe,beast musics are really master pieces .
Maybe because Beast looked beautiful, and Kid Chaos looks like puke?
Old 16 June 2023, 14:00   #51
touko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerskunk View Post
Maybe because Beast looked beautiful, and Kid Chaos looks like puke?
No, but because most have no technical clues(or simply don't know KC),and beast is probably the most known, it's a 1989 game and KC a 1994 one .
Old 16 June 2023, 14:34   #52
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

I'm with Tigerskunk on this one. KC doesn't look particularly great, due to the bobs having to share their palette with the foreground layer (everything kind of blends together and looks a bit dull). Lionheart also suffers from this same issue too.
Old 16 June 2023, 15:12   #53
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
I'm with Tigerskunk on this one. KC doesn't look particularly great, due to the bobs having to share their palette with the foreground layer (everything kind of blends together and looks a bit dull). Lionheart also suffers from this same issue too.
Well then you're not with Tigerskunk at all because they used the phrase, and I quote: it looks like puke. A gross exaggeration if ever I saw one.
Old 16 June 2023, 16:13   #54
touko

Quote:
Beast is sublimated mainly by its audio atmosphere, the forest level is beautiful and well suited for the music, but the rest is so classic .

Quote:
Well then you're not with Tigerskunk at all because they used the phrase, and I quote: it looks like puke. A gross exaggeration if ever I saw one.
Totally .

Quote:
No because you must use M7 for it, so only 1 background layer, and the snes has not enought sprite pixels / line to do all the other stuffs with sprites .

Last edited by touko; 16 June 2023 at 16:21.
Old 16 June 2023, 18:31   #55
lionagony

Quote:

Well here's that same boss fight in the unreleased Mr Nutz 2 for the Mega Drive with no zooming (at 1:45:00) [ Show youtube player ]
Old 16 June 2023, 18:41   #56
touko

Puggsy MD has un zooming boss, but clearly not the same as Mr nutz(45:32) :
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 16 June 2023, 21:05   #57
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Totally .
Okay the pun was kind of the goal. But still, I stand by it. I like the fall tones that the game has, the only thing that is off is the dopey look of the character itself. Tonally just doesn't fit with the rest of the game.
Old 16 June 2023, 21:56   #58
kremiso

iirc Probotector on Megadrive had some zooming effects too
i think to remember ie one later boss (maybe the last one) with almost the entire screen zooming in and out, impressive

-
about Beast, that forest outdoor landscape never gets old
i was reading details about this (and other platforms too) into the Codetapper site :

https://codetapper.com/amiga/sprite-...-of-the-beast/
Old 16 June 2023, 23:08   #59
sokolovic

Lol.
Here we go again with someone posting a technical marvel on the Amiga and serious people coming to minimize the coding performance saying that the SNES or the MD could handle it (even if the MD version doesn't handle it, in fact, because if it could it would have been on the MD version, as for the bonus stages).

Mr Nutz is a true masterpiece on the Amiga. I really don't get why peoples praise averages games like Zool or Superfrog over it (even back then). The sprites blending problem seems very over exagerated to me. The game is very playable and well balanced.
And on top of that the MD version lacks many elements from the original version. Strangely, nobody concludes that this is a proof of the Amiga hardware superiority yet comparaisons between Turrican 3 and Mega Turrican (by mostly the same team) are generally used to prove definitive superiority of the MD hardware.

Last edited by sokolovic; 16 June 2023 at 23:16.
Old 16 June 2023, 23:27   #60
lionagony

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
Lol.
Here we go again with someone posting a technical marvel on the Amiga and serious people coming to minimize the coding performance saying that the SNES or the MD could handle it (even if the MD version doesn't handle it, in fact, because if it could it would have been on the MD version, as for the bonus stages).

Mr Nutz is a true masterpiece on the Amiga. I really don't get why peoples praise averages games like Zool or Superfrog over it (even back then). The sprites blending problem seems very over exagerated to me. The game is very playable and well balanced.
And on top of that the MD version lacks many elements from the original version. Strangely, nobody concludes that this is a proof of the Amiga hardware superiority yet comparaisons between Turrican 3 and Mega Turrican (by mostly the same team) are generally used to prove definitive superiority of the MD hardware.
Great point! It's almost like people have an inferiority complex about the Amiga just because it didn't come from the slickly marketed behemoth's Nintendo or Sega. In contrast I have a superiority complex when I use the Amiga because it's the best