English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 15 October 2008, 14:21   #1
mimo

Retro USB joystics-ideal for emulation

Based on the Atari CX-40 joystick these new USB versions look great for emulation.
They are also internally hackable to add extra buttons (Up to 10 I think) to make your own Arcade Stick.
http://www.atariage.com/forums/index...c=131503&st=40

They were designed for Atari by Curt Vendel (he did the Flashback II etc etc), but as Atari did not want to run with the idea, Curt is doing it himself

Old 16 October 2008, 06:16   #2
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

I already placed my order for four of them.
Old 16 October 2008, 12:05   #3
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Hello there my fellow forum chummies,

I picked up on this from Raphnet and made my own version

have a lookie at this luscious linkie

Old 21 October 2008, 18:47   #4
Specksynder

Hi!
I still have my jewel 'SpeedKing' (Used with C64 and Amiga500).
I wonder if i can find (somewhere) an adapter for playing games (WinUae) with it.
Hope someone will help me
Thank you in advance
Old 21 October 2008, 19:53   #5
DH
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambot_3 View Post
I wonder if i can find (somewhere) an adapter for playing games (WinUae) with it.
Need to know if you're using the 15 pin game-port or a USB connection on your PC for WinUAE.

Checked all the links where you might get one but most of them have expired or don't exist anymore. Have you tried Ebay or even AmiBay for a 'Amiga joystick to PC Adapter'

Edit: Found one http://www.retrousb.com/index.php?productID=125 USB only my friend and it's a kit so you will need to be able to solder too

Last edited by DH; 21 October 2008 at 20:14.
Old 21 October 2008, 19:55   #6
Ian
Global Moderator

The Atari joystick was the worst one ever invented.

A couple of hours of game playing always left me with a huge blister on my hand.
Old 22 October 2008, 00:11   #7
Harrison
classicamiga.com

I still have some of the original versions of that joystick with my Atari 2600 and they definitely are not the most ergonomic of design and as Ian said they don't lend themselves well to long gameplay sessions.

Still it is a great idea, and having the built in feature to add more buttons is quite cool.

However I'm going to stick with my X-Arcade and Slik-Slik Classic controllers for most emulation. And my Atari to USB converter to use real Sega pads and Amiga sticks for authentic gameplay.

@Zambot 3

Most of the existing Atari joystick port to USB adapters such as the Stelladaptor, which can be used to connect a real Amiga joystick to your PC, are not easy to find these days. AtariAge doesn't seem to be selling it at the moment.

However I bought an Atari to USB adapter cable from a US company called RetroZone a couple of years ago and it works perfectly, even with multibuttoned joysticks. This adapter has the conversion circuit board built into the end of the cable with the Atari joystick port which you plug the Amiga joystick into. And so it looks just like a cable extension with a USB connector on the other end.

You can't buy the premade adapters any more, but Retrozone do still sell the kits to make your own. Take a look at http://www.retrousb.com/index.php?productID=125
Old 22 October 2008, 00:54   #8
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
The Atari joystick was the worst one ever invented.

A couple of hours of game playing always left me with a huge blister on my hand.
I second that. But it has more to do with the type of joystick than the specific joystick - and it does look very, very good as an ornament alone

BTW, are there simple "USB gamepad d-pad to 9-pin 3-button atari/msx/amiga type adapters"? THAT is what needs to be available. NOW! "Do it nauw!" (c) Arnold
Old 22 October 2008, 14:53   #9
Specksynder

I've found the circuit scheme and it's very simple.I will create my 'home joystick adaptor',hope my pc won't burn

Ps. Have you ever tried to play S.Soccer with the keyboard?
Old 23 October 2008, 00:05   #10
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

You could always take a cheap USB controller and mod it up so you can use a proper joystick. I bought a USB controller for $5 and did just that. I need to put it in a box and pretty it up one of these days though. Dangling wires isn't ideal.