English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 15 January 2005, 13:08   #41
IFW

Keeping the sources in a safe place for all the stuff is a good idea, so nothing gets lost if anything happens to anyone or his equipment, so I suggest you go for it, maybe not publically but surely privately do it.
Old 15 January 2005, 18:27   #42
girv
Mostly Harmless

Getting OT here but my less-than-two-cents worth position on the slave source issue would be similar to Galahad's. I've spent many a late night working on my few installs (Codetapper will vouch for that!) and I'm not willing to make the sources public for my own selfish reasons, quite apart from any problems slave sources being "in the wild" may cause. I'm sending them to Wepl with releases (in a separate archive) as a backup along with a licence for the "WHDLoad Administrators" to do what they want with them IF AND ONLY IF I disappear from the scene; but until then I'd like them to remain non-public.
Old 16 January 2005, 07:23   #43
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Post Confusion reigns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT
Yes, Jeff, whilst I applaud the spreading of the source code (so tossers like me dont have hard drive failure and have to start again!), it makes an absolute mockery of the registered slave process.
You and Girv are both confused about this. You must upload the source to the normal email address for WHDLoad installs so Wepl can back it up in his archive - you don't have to include it in the lha archive that goes on the website. I don't include my source in the release archives but trust me that Wepl has source backups of ALL my installs.

That way we have a central repository for when WHDLoad authors are MIA (or die in Czeslaw's case!) and the installs don't have to be completely re-done if bugs or new versions are found.

@Galahad: The case of me re-doing Primal Rage was because you were not around to answer emails about it and after 1+ year of the buggy install being around I updated it. If you check your old emails you will see the (multiple) bug reports about it.
Old 16 January 2005, 13:52   #44
girv
Mostly Harmless

I'm not confused about the policy - I know the intention wasn't to spread sources to the public. I was just stating that I personally don't want this to happen to my stuff unless I go MIA

FYI my backup policy is every time I'm finished a WHDLoad session I type "smake bak" which lha's up the entire project subdirectory and copies it to another partition. This is then FTP'd to the PC and from there sneakernet'd to my work PC and from there to a mirror RAID file server. Release versions go through the same process but also email the release and source archives to Wepl and add full installed versions of each version of the game to the various backups. Once a month(ish) I'll also archive my entire DH0 and DH1 partitions.

Safe enough for ya ?
Old 16 January 2005, 20:57   #45
Codetapper

If the "release versions" email the release and source archives to Wepl, what exactly is the difference between attaching the install archive vs attaching the install + source archive at the time you upload it?

Nobody will touch the source unless your installs have bugs/unsupported versions and you are uncontactable for a long period of time.

All I am trying to do is to ensure every game has source so there is no chance of losing anything! I'm sure Galahad especially can appreciate what time could have been saved if he had shared his source before the HD problems...
Old 16 January 2005, 22:37   #46
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Yeah, like I'm psychic like that! Hindsight, ideal world, if only, and lots of other pointless phrases I could conjure up after the event.
Old 16 January 2005, 23:38   #47
girv
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper
If the "release versions" email the release and source archives to Wepl, what exactly is the difference between attaching the install archive vs attaching the install + source archive at the time you upload it?
The source is in a separate archive so it doesn't become publically available on whdload.de when the installer archive is added ... unless I've missed something ?

eg:
<tapetty tappety clik test done yay>
email HardDrivinWHD.lha and HardDrivinWHD_src.lha to Wepl
Wepl adds HardDrivinWHD.lha to whdload.de main page
Wepl secures HardDrivinWHD_src.lha in the Secret Backup Vault
Joe Public Amiga User can only download HardDrivinWHD.lha
HardDrivinWHD.lha contains only binaries no source code
Old 17 January 2005, 00:33   #48
Codetapper

Yup, you got it Girv! Also, Secret Backup Vault regularly backed up and secured in Wepl's WHDLoad dungeon of doom...
Old 17 January 2005, 19:03   #49
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I could have done with the Dungeon of Doom, instead I picked the Hard drive made of pastry!
Old 26 January 2005, 23:54   #50
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by girv
Getting OT here but my less-than-two-cents worth position on the slave source issue would be similar to Galahad's. I've spent many a late night working on my few installs (Codetapper will vouch for that!) and I'm not willing to make the sources public for my own selfish reasons, quite apart from any problems slave sources being "in the wild" may cause. I'm sending them to Wepl with releases (in a separate archive) as a backup along with a licence for the "WHDLoad Administrators" to do what they want with them IF AND ONLY IF I disappear from the scene; but until then I'd like them to remain non-public.
For the same reasons (spending a long while trying to make the install work) I'm willing to share my sources with other people so they can read my source and say: that's a nice piece of source code

I don't think that malevolent people would care to change the source, and if they did, what do I care, as long as they're not accepted as an official update of the same game under a different author's name.
But if the slave can be useful to patch another undone game, that's fine by me.
Old 07 March 2005, 18:12   #51
jrom
Wannabe asm coder ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT
Hellbent, Ski or Die plus a few others are all able to use CAPS images
*caugh* ...still isn't released? */caugh*