English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 20 January 2005, 23:56   #1
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Why don't RawDIC or The Patcher ever work for me?

This is just an idle question and I don't have an urgent problem, but I was wondering:

Why is it that the imagers RawDIC and The Patcher never ever work? Only DIC works for me. I have over 40 original games (bought new by me) and any time over the years that I wanted to install on HD, only the DIC imager worked. RawDIC ALWAYS has a problem reading block 2 and The Patcher ALWAYS has some kind of error that I can't read because it is in a super-micro deformed font. (SnoopDOS doesn't show which font) So whenever an HD install didn't use DIC, I had to download an already installed copy from the internet.

Does this just happen to me or what? (I was just reminded of this when attempting to install the new Summer Olympiad)
Old 21 January 2005, 00:06   #2
Frog

Basically DIC only make an image of the disk whatever you put in your drive, the disk isn't tested.
Rawdic and ThePatcher check the disk so if you got an error message i think you must have an unsupported version... sound a bit astonished with 40 original games, perhaps your disk drive is a bit too sensitive ?

Beside your name, do you use an A1200 ? Which one ? Escom series has a disk drive compatibility problem.
Old 21 January 2005, 00:46   #3
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Can you please name some of these 40 titles you have tried which do not work with RawDIC? Preferably some of the installs I have done (if possible).

As for games stopping on block 2 (I guess you really mean track 2), if a game uses RawDIC it's because of a custom disk format - track 0 is always AmigaDos and track 1 is often aswell. The real action usually starts from track 2 and as Frank says, you might have unsupported versions.
Old 21 January 2005, 02:00   #4
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

No, I use an A500. (...when you have an A500 this good, they call you "mister"....or something else not worth printing...)

I don't think it's the drive because the same thing happens when using the external drive. It has been a while, so I'll have to do some research into which ones didn't work. I do know that I had problems with about 15 or 20. Since I'm in Canada and most people doing installs are working on European versions, it seems likely that my versions weren't supported. I wish everybody used DIC so that the actual imaging worked and WHDload would tell me that the version is not supported.

I still don't know what's happening with The Patcher. What font does it use? Does anybody else see a screwed up micro-font?

(and yes, I did mean track 2 )
Old 21 January 2005, 05:41   #5
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Post Answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_a500
No, I use an A500. (...when you have an A500 this good, they call you "mister"....or something else not worth printing...)

I don't think it's the drive because the same thing happens when using the external drive.
My A500 will not read anything other than standard format disks - the synchronisation or something has gone in it. And my external drive is dead, so that could be the problem for you too!

Quote:
It has been a while, so I'll have to do some research into which ones didn't work. I do know that I had problems with about 15 or 20. Since I'm in Canada and most people doing installs are working on European versions, it seems likely that my versions weren't supported.
Well, the easy solution is to contact the install authors and send them a warp of your versions! And send them to CAPS too as they are always after NTSC releases...

Quote:
I wish everybody used DIC so that the actual imaging worked
Well if RawDIC didn't exist, you couldn't install about 30-40% of all Amiga games released! DIC can only handle standard AmigaDOS format disks, RawDIC/Patcher can handle anything.

Quote:
and WHDload would tell me that the version is not supported.
If us patchers only have one version of a game, it's hard to know what exactly to test to see if you have the right version! Sometimes a game will be released with multiple versions (eg. Rick Dangerous) which have the exact same disk layout, so testing for specific bytes in the ripper causes more headaches than it solves! It's best to test for a specific game in the slave, not in the disk ripper. RawDIC will quit with a nice error if it can't decode a track, so I don't see the problem.

Quote:
I still don't know what's happening with The Patcher. What font does it use?
Ruby

Quote:
Does anybody else see a screwed up micro-font?
No, because I have ruby in my fonts: directory...
Old 21 January 2005, 11:31   #6
Wepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_a500
This is just an idle question and I don't have an urgent problem, but I was wondering:

Why is it that the imagers RawDIC and The Patcher never ever work? Only DIC works for me. I have over 40 original games (bought new by me) and any time over the years that I wanted to install on HD, only the DIC imager worked. RawDIC ALWAYS has a problem reading block 2 and The Patcher ALWAYS has some kind of error that I can't read because it is in a super-micro deformed font. (SnoopDOS doesn't show which font) So whenever an HD install didn't use DIC, I had to download an already installed copy from the internet.

Does this just happen to me or what? (I was just reminded of this when attempting to install the new Summer Olympiad)
I never got any bugreport from you. In general: if problems get not reported they cannot be solved!

If you have 40 origs which aren't work then something with your machine/software is broken. In such cases I recommend to make a Cold-Reboot and start without startup-sequence and retry.

ThePatcher needs the ruby.8 font which is written in the documentation in bold letters.
If SnoopDos doesn't show it you, than you incorrectly use SnoopDos because you have to enable OpenFont in the setup.

Ask earlier and you have to wait two years
Old 21 January 2005, 11:32   #7
Wepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog
Beside your name, do you use an A1200 ? Which one ? Escom series has a disk drive compatibility problem.
All the tools DIC/RawDIC/Patcher are using trackdisk.device and therefore are working fine also with the Escom machines.
Old 21 January 2005, 18:21   #8
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Hmmm... I only have Ruby.font size 15 so that must be it. Thanks. And I finally found the Patcher.txt file (don't see any bold letters though ). I always had OpenFont enabled in SnoopDOS and saved, but somehow it went back to an old config without it.

OK, I'll attempt to install some of my originals with the latest versions of everything (AND Ruby.font 8) and send you a proper bug report.

Although if you never had reports of any problems before, then it's probably just my computer. Thanks for your responses.