English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 19 September 2020, 17:50   #1
Foebane
Banned

I dreamed I was trying to show 68060 demos to an Amiga hating friend of mine

The friend is real, from back around 28 years ago at college, but he despised the Amiga whilst he had an ST, and for some reason, in this dream, I was trying to show him my favourite high-end Amiga Demoscene productions, but they kept malfunctioning or it took me ages to get them starting, and in the end, the police hauled my friend away for murder or something (probably him wanting to kill me for torturing him like this).

And before that, I had some other Amiga-related dream where it was at a rehearsal for a rock concert, and then it turned into a giant screen promotion of the Amiga platform.

Damn, my dreams are weird at the best of times, but two Amiga-related dreams like this is NUTS.
Old 19 September 2020, 17:52   #2
chip

I spend my time with Amiga 8-10 hours each day

But luckily i don't dream it
Old 20 September 2020, 02:12   #3
Cubemon
Recovering Amiga user

That's PTSD from the 16-bit wars.
Old 20 September 2020, 14:02   #4
Paul_s

Maybe time to stop sleeping with Amiga

Old 20 September 2020, 17:03   #5
Foebane
Banned

Well, the drool can't be any good for it.
Old 20 September 2020, 20:39   #6
d4rk3lf

You should make your dreams comes true!
Call up your friend, and show him the latest 060 demo's!
Old 21 September 2020, 00:19   #7
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
You should make your dreams comes true!
Call up your friend, and show him the latest 060 demo's!
He is on Facebook, but I do not think he would appreciate it if I re-entered his life by friending him on that platform, and despite his massive library of console games in cold snowy Moscow (yes, he was born in Wales like I was yet for some reason went to that place) and only did some little pre-amble before I remind him of an age-old rivalry that should be consigned to the past.

Besides, he's a gamer first and foremost.

It's like a conversation I've had with my sister about the same thing, I reminded her of my old home computers back when we were a lot younger and she immediately said, "that Atari / Commodore CRAP", when I wasn't aware she thought like that. And I've wanted to show HER demos, too!

I don't know why I find Amiga demos so appealing, I suppose cos I'm so enamoured with Jay Miner's magnum opus hardware, have been ever since I first saw it in action, and it sort of justifies my former ownership of Atari 8-Bit, although I've now decided that that's unmitigated primitive crap, a rehearsal for the Amiga.

I don't want to love a demo for ages, only to show my friend or sister, they say "that's crap" and I remember it and it spoils the demo from then on, so I suppose I should avoid it. I like watching the demos for the technical aspects, but they wouldn't understand that, so I should just let it go for casual viewers and hang around with my own technically-minded sort.

Yes, so I'd rather not contact him, as we'll most likely end up with another argument before long, and he'll consider me sad for being so obsessed with a platform 26 years after it should've died out, in his eyes, anyway.
Old 21 September 2020, 09:29   #8
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
"that Atari / Commodore CRAP"
Pearls to swine...
Old 21 September 2020, 10:23   #9
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
Pearls to swine...
As I said, my sister's words. I didn't know she felt that way, she didn't seem to mind the several Amiga demos I showed her, and she sat through the whole of Alcatraz's Odyssey, too (over half an hour). Her thoughts of Amiga music must be a mixed bag, but I know she doesn't like the chiptune sound, with all the beeps and boops of say, Atari 8-Bit music.
Old 04 July 2021, 22:42   #10
Spriteer

I have friends who hated Amiga even if they knew nothing abt it. To them it was A500 used as a games console. It is true many used it that way. Now much later I demoed my A3000/060/CS64 3D/scsi-hd/x-surf Amiga to one of them and he was gobsmacked. He had no idea that other models than A500 existed.