English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 25 January 2009, 20:15   #1
trodas
old Amiga fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to trodas Send a message via AIM to trodas Send a message via MSN to trodas
Question OctaMED Plugin for WinAMP

Guys, you probably have many *.med modules, but no way to play them well in WinAMP, right? I tried the OctaMED plugin, v1.04 from Jens Theess, but it works kind of quirky. His email did not work ( pendledrake@bigfoot.com ) and site where updates should be ( Updates will be available from: http://beam.to/jct/octamed.html ) are down too.

When I tried the plugin, well... it works, however only partly. Volume did not work at all (ehm) and it usually require the WinAMP window to be in front for some time to play, before one can put it back into background again and the music will not stop playing. Using WinAMP v5.35 and OctaMED plugin from you v1.04.

Are there any chances of finding a working plugin for OctaMED modules - at least a bit?

Because some modules (for example there from HiredGuns) did not even play correctly. Just try this one and see what I mean:

Last edited by DH; 18 April 2014 at 19:53.
Old 25 January 2009, 20:18   #2
DH
Global Moderator

Why don't you use DeliPlayer 2 for windows. It's much better and more accurate than anything else around + it can play considerably more formats from the Amiga too
Old 25 January 2009, 20:25   #3
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Well DeliPlayer 2 has some issues with Vista, so why not try BZRPlayer : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...ight=BZRPlayer I use it and it completely made WinAMP redundant You should give it a try.

Edit : Just tried the Hired Guns songs and they work fine in BZRPlayer
Old 25 January 2009, 20:32   #4
DH
Global Moderator

Oh! Has it. Damn Vista!

BZRPlayer it is then It's funny, I still use it but I completely forgot about it, what with it being an ongoing project of bLAZER's I'm sure it will soon overtake DeliPlayer 2 now that's not being supported.
Old 25 January 2009, 20:36   #5
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonHellraiser View Post
BZRPlayer it is then It's funny, I still use it but I completely forgot about it, what with it being an ongoing project of bLAZER's I'm sure it will soon overtake DeliPlayer 2 now that's not being supported.
Well there are still formats not supported in BZRPlayer which are in Deliplayer 2, so don't throw it out of the window Yet for listening to MED songs BZRPlayer is a good choice and also for mods, XMs and many other formats I try it first in BZRPlayer and if it doesn't work Deliplayer 2. Let's hope bLAZER finds a 680x0 core emulation, so he can implement many more formats
Old 26 January 2009, 09:57   #6
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by trodas View Post
Are there any chances of finding a working plugin for OctaMED modules - at least a bit?
Did you try the "Oldskool Mod Player" plugin for WinAmp? It always worked fine for me. You can download it here.
Old 26 January 2009, 14:51   #7
Testaware

OctaMED

@StingRay: this oldsk00l plugin it's quite the best of all for WinAMP
you can download the last (beta) release here: http://www.rift.dk/download.php?list.3

@trodas: try this: http://www.medsoundstudio.co.uk/pc_frames.htm
you can download the full source of medp.dll even the best MED_plugin for WinAMP!

regards, Peace

Old 27 January 2009, 02:52   #8
OddbOd

Testaware: That just leads back to the same plugin that trodas was talking about in the very first post

StingRay: What version of Oldsk00l supports MED/OctaMED? Certainly not the one you linked.

MED/OctaMED tunes are a pain in the ass to play under Windows, the only player that works 100% is Deliplayer all others are are buggy or deficient, even the official Windows version of OctaMEDPlayer lacks support for the old song & samples format.

That said I tried the tune from Hired Guns in WinAMP/in_med and it sounds OK (not perfect) to me, the channel order is wrong, the time counter doesn't work properly but it did work.

You mention the volume control doesn't work, which is true, but this is not actually the fault of in_med. The plugin is not actually a player it's just a wrapper for medpdll.dll, this is different to the way most WinAMP plugins work because the audio is not routed through WinAMP instead the library accesses DirectSound on it's own, this means that WinAMP's volume control, DSP, equaliser and visualisation features won't work at all.

BZRPlayer will work with most MED files as will ModPlug player, XMPlay, or UADE with varying degrees of success but DeliPlayer is still the best choice.
Old 24 October 2009, 13:29   #9
trodas
old Amiga fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to trodas Send a message via AIM to trodas Send a message via MSN to trodas
Well, I quess I have to live w/o MED then, because I will not abandon WinAMP for any reasons, as it is proven to work and stable, so... I have to bump some work on the usable WinAMP plugin then
Old 14 September 2012, 10:54   #10
trodas
old Amiga fanatic

Question

Curiously, after all the years, is the last in_med.dll plugin for WinAMP still v1.04 as I do include?
Because it plays only when WinAMP is on the top (topmost window) and ignore volume settings, etd. In one word - it SUXX

Like I mentioned before, there is no way to change WinAPM for anything else, I just looking for working plugin, that it is. So pls no "suggestions" like use that or what player. That would be useless, because WinAMP plays well almost everything else and what not, that require only more functional plugin
Attached Files
File Type: zip in_med.zip (187.7 KB, 395 views)
Old 14 September 2012, 11:58   #11
Amiga1992

I don't understand your fixation with Winamp and extremely outdated input plugins. XMPlay plays everything AND all exotic formats.
Old 15 September 2012, 01:43   #12
trodas
old Amiga fanatic

I don't want XMPlay, there are very good reasons why use WinAMP. Namely the disk write plugin (write Amiga mod into wav file), but not only it.
Old 15 September 2012, 01:53   #13
Amiga1992

XMPlay writes to WAV
Old 15 September 2012, 13:07   #14
XimeR

Sounds like someone is sponsored by XMPlay
Old 15 September 2012, 13:18   #15
Amiga1992

It's free software, I can't be sponsored
I am just sponsored by PRACTICALITY and ACCURACY, two things XMPlay has plenty of
Old 15 September 2012, 13:22   #16
mai

I am prefering also "XMPlay", because it plays most Amiga sound formats.
I would still prefer "Deliplayer for PC", but there are heavy problems with the channels in current OS.
Old 15 September 2012, 14:14   #17
Amiga1992

Yeah I use Deliplayer in my XP computer only! It's the best thing.
Old 15 September 2012, 23:27   #18
Asle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
It's free software, I can't be sponsored
I am just sponsored by PRACTICALITY and ACCURACY, two things XMPlay has plenty of
save for soundtracker or suntronic ?

seems Suntronic _is_ supported (a lot of echo however), when you can figure out the gazillion of plug-in to add

Last edited by Asle; 15 September 2012 at 23:39.
Old 15 September 2012, 23:34   #19
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
+1 for XMPlay from me, you can even use winamp plugins if you have to
Old 16 September 2012, 12:33   #20
XimeR

I've just tried this out, and I'm quite impressed. I love the tracker view it has too