Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 30 April 2007, 10:54   #1
Gonzouk

How can I get old Amiga disks onto PC?

How can I get old Amiga disks onto PC?
Old 30 April 2007, 11:47   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

It really depends on what is on the disks.
  • Original games
    • You'll need a real Amiga, an network solution or serial/parallel cable. Several different software tools from http://www.softpres.org

• "Backup" games, demos, DOS disks.
    • Use an Amiga, serial/parallel cable and the Hombre disk for the Amiga.
    • If you no longer have an Amiga could use two PC floppy disk drives (yes you need two connected via the same cable to the motherboard) and a program to read them.
Honestly unless the disks contain data that you yourself created then it is not really worth the hassle as 90% of all disks have already been dumped.

Read all about it on the Wiki

http://wiki.abime.net/amiga:file_transfer

Last edited by alexh; 30 April 2007 at 11:53.
Old 30 April 2007, 15:32   #3
Gonzouk

Thanks!

Where is a good place to find the dumps? Or should I not be asking questions like that
Old 30 April 2007, 15:40   #4
DamienD
Banned

Hello Gonzouk,

Welcome to EAB

Depends what you are asking for... If you are talking about SPS dumps i.e. .IPFs then you are are not allowed to request these here. If you are talking about .ADFs or WHDLoad games then take a look on the EAB wiki --> Games Download section for details.
Old 30 April 2007, 15:52   #5
Gonzouk

Hi, I'm not sure what SPS or IPF's are but it is the .ADFs and WHDload games. I have most of them as originals but don't what to go through the process of converting them.
Old 01 May 2007, 03:12   #6
fmcpma
Banned

Hello.

SPS: Software Preservation Society. They preserve old software originally published on floppies (maybe other old media too) before it is no longer readable. They preserve it in 100% faithful-to-the-original computer files, complete with disk protection and custom formatting. Their hard and long work, along with WinUAE, was/is priceless to this community.

IPF: Interchangeable Preservation Format. The format they've created to do so.

.adf's and WHDload are nice and they work and even have some advantages, but are not what purists look for. Also, one cannot convert anything into .ipf's; SPS only can release them, which they do when they get hold of more unaltered originals that have not yet been preserved. I think only some rare games remain unpreserved, today. Anyway, you'll have to find the ones that you want.