English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 27 July 2021, 18:17   #1
elanstra

plipbox making things hot?

After having my Amiga 1200 switched on for some 2 hours, I noticed that some fragrance was emanating from it. Nothing bad. More like the typical smell you get when chips get very hot.

So using a very scientific method (moving my hand around) I found that there was heat coming from the centre area of the grating above the keyboard. Just above were the parallel port is.

I switched off the Amiga and unplugged the plipbox and both connectors (the one on the plipbox and the one on the Amiga) were indeed hot. Not like burning, but not what I would expect. Never seen a parallel port getting hot.

Today I had the Amiga for 3 hours switched on without the plipbox. It gets warm in the same area, but definitely not hot and no smell.

Anybody else had a similar experience? Is this a bad thing? I think in that area is one of the CIA.
Old 27 July 2021, 23:15   #2
Jpor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanstra View Post
After having my Amiga 1200 switched on for some 2 hours, I noticed that some fragrance was emanating from it. Nothing bad. More like the typical smell you get when chips get very hot.

So using a very scientific method (moving my hand around) I found that there was heat coming from the centre area of the grating above the keyboard. Just above were the parallel port is.

I switched off the Amiga and unplugged the plipbox and both connectors (the one on the plipbox and the one on the Amiga) were indeed hot. Not like burning, but not what I would expect. Never seen a parallel port getting hot.

Today I had the Amiga for 3 hours switched on without the plipbox. It gets warm in the same area, but definitely not hot and no smell.

Anybody else had a similar experience? Is this a bad thing? I think in that area is one of the CIA.
Don’t these plipboxes have extra power connected up to them? I’m wondering if you are pushing too much power through the plipbox?

As you’ve got an A1200, why not use a PCMCIA network adapter? It would be a lot quicker than a plipbox and save having another power cable
Old 28 July 2021, 16:25   #3
elanstra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpor View Post
Don’t these plipboxes have extra power connected up to them? I’m wondering if you are pushing too much power through the plipbox?
Aha, you pointed me to the right direction, Jpor. Thanks a lot! I indeed use the external 5V power, but I remembered that when I'm not using the network I don't power it up. So today I tested having the Amiga on with the power cable also connected, and there is no heat. Moral of the story, even when not connecting to the network, power up the plipbox or even unplug it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpor View Post
As you’ve got an A1200, why not use a PCMCIA network adapter? It would be a lot quicker than a plipbox and save having another power cable

I do have a Linksys EC01T that works well, but there are two reasons I did switch to the plipbox: 1) the PCMCIA extends the length of the computer by 10cm + the Ethernet cable. I find it cumbersome, and 2) I use the PCMCIA for backups to a CF card.

I know, both things could be changed. 1) There are 90 degrees adaptors, but I can't be arsed to buy/add another gadget. 2) I could do the backups by FTP to a server.

I guess at the end it's a matter of preferences. I really prefer the cables coming only from the back instead of all sides
Old 28 July 2021, 20:13   #4
Jpor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanstra View Post
Aha, you pointed me to the right direction, Jpor. Thanks a lot! I indeed use the external 5V power, but I remembered that when I'm not using the network I don't power it up. So today I tested having the Amiga on with the power cable also connected, and there is no heat. Moral of the story, even when not connecting to the network, power up the plipbox or even unplug it.

I do have a Linksys EC01T that works well, but there are two reasons I did switch to the plipbox: 1) the PCMCIA extends the length of the computer by 10cm + the Ethernet cable. I find it cumbersome, and 2) I use the PCMCIA for backups to a CF card.

I know, both things could be changed. 1) There are 90 degrees adaptors, but I can't be arsed to buy/add another gadget. 2) I could do the backups by FTP to a server.

I guess at the end it's a matter of preferences. I really prefer the cables coming only from the back instead of all sides

Glad to be of help