English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: Does computers evolve slower then before?
Yes 55 80.88%
No 10 14.71%
They evolve at pretty much the same pace, from the beginning 3 4.41%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07 July 2021, 15:34   #41
rothers

I expected this forum to be really excited about what Apple is doing moving away from Intel.

Old 07 July 2021, 15:54   #42
dreadnought

Why would I be excited about a walled garden getting even more closed up?
Old 07 July 2021, 16:04   #43
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothers View Post
I expected this forum to be really excited about what Apple is doing moving away from Intel.
I applaud their technological success but they are 20 to 25 years too late. All CPU alternatives died a long time ago (except ARM, obviously) and nowadays it just doesn't matter any more what ISA your computer is using. It's a lot like we finally have non-Microsoft software that successfully opens and saves Microsoft office files. Also decades too late.
Old 07 July 2021, 16:12   #44
rothers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Why would I be excited about a walled garden getting even more closed up?
How are Macs a walled garden any more than an Amiga?

Their new chips are amazing, tell me a better chip than the M1?
Old 07 July 2021, 16:28   #45
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

you know it's funny, every time a new generation of consoles or graphics cards comes out, i think, that's it. computer graphics is completed now. graphics cannot get any better than this. and then, it happens again. and i look back at games from 20 years ago, when i first thought that, and they look comical by today's standards. so. it's perspective, i guess.
Old 07 July 2021, 17:02   #46
Foebane
Banned

Quote:

I don't give a stuff about sodding Apple, I'd be much happier if they went bankrupt. Commodore and Atari went bust in the 1990s, it should've been Apple instead. End of.
Old 07 July 2021, 18:58   #47
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Every time someone mentions Apple, I remember time when Apple II was not half of computer C64 was, and still costed 1,000 USD more. This did not change much today, either.

Good old times... https://www.nytimes.com/1983/01/25/s...apple-iie.html

Only when I had to use their computers, I did so (UNI publishing classes and graphics design), and of course iPad I still like and use. Other then that, not impressed by anything else Apple does.
Old 07 July 2021, 19:01   #48
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Apple at least used to produce solid, reliable hardware. Now they don't. Now it's all style over substance, cutting corners for the sake of an aesthetic.
Old 07 July 2021, 19:17   #49
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:

Their new chips are amazing, tell me a better chip than the M1?
Who cares?

If you're happy being told what file formats you can or can't use, having to use bloatware like iTunes, knock yourself out.

I expect my computers and devices to do precisely what I want them to do, not what Apple allows me to do.

Apple can die for all I care.

Last edited by Galahad/FLT; 08 July 2021 at 00:25.
Old 07 July 2021, 23:41   #50
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
https://developer.apple.com/app-store/guidelines/
Old 08 July 2021, 00:08   #51
dreadnought

Quote:
They aren't, which is why in a way it's a blessing in disguise that Amiga did not survive. Back then it did not matter, because a) I was a kid, b) everything was "closed" (PC-style openness has only really arrived in the early 90s). If Commodore were to somehow survive and maintain that closed model, I'd oppose them as much as I do Apple now. So, I'd much rather remember Amiga as an innovative icon from that awesome era, than go against it in the 21st century.

M1 is a nice chip, but it's just that. It's not really "destroying" the competition, as some excitable outlets would like to claim, and sooner than later there will be new stuff from AMD / Intel which will in turn "destroy" (not) M1. In any case, some shiny new tech is not going to change my core principles.
Old 08 July 2021, 01:49   #52
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

@dreadnought:

I don't see what is particularly "closed" about the Amiga. Closed-source OS but that is standard for nearly any commercial OS.

At least it doesn't have TPM, IME and other creepy anti-features which are starting to infest a lot of "PC-style openness" :-/

Everything was open back in the '70s anyway, it is not something that started in the '90s.

Last edited by Minuous; 08 July 2021 at 01:56.
Old 08 July 2021, 12:34   #53
rothers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
You know i'm talking about their computers right? Not their phones?

I can code and compile anything I want on my macbook and send you it and you can run it on yours. I don't even have iTunes. I download software from the web and run it. Just like a PC?

Only the mac has a WAY better OS than windows.

Apple are the closest thing to Commodore you can get these days, custom hardware, pushing the limits, non-intel CPUs, being the weird underdog.
Old 08 July 2021, 16:46   #54
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
I can code and compile anything I want on my macbook and send you it and you can run it on yours. I don't even have iTunes. I download software from the web and run it. Just like a PC?
So?

Quote:
Only the mac has a WAY better OS than windows.
So did the Amiga.

Quote:
Apple are the closest thing to Commodore you can get these days, custom hardware, pushing the limits, non-intel CPUs, being the weird underdog.

HAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAH!!! Arrogant, much?

Custom hardware? Last I heard, Apple computers used the same basic parts as PCs, it's only the connectors that are different, and they're closed and proprietary compared to the PC's open standards. Fail.

Pushing the limits? Apple computers don't even do games, and last I heard, PC games were pushing the limits more than anything else on either platform. Another fail.

Being the weird underdog? Funny, Apple seems to be rather dominant in some fields to me. Yet another fail.

You may think Apple is the new Commodore, but I'd rather have Commodore itself back, sans incompetent management, of course.
Old 08 July 2021, 16:50   #55
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
...Custom hardware? Last I heard, Apple computers used the same basic parts as PCs, it's only the connectors that are different...
To be fair here, Apple has started switching to their own CPU architecture (based on ARM). Their M1 CPU is pretty darned cool and really quite fast, especially considering the power use.

As for them being the new Commodore, I do agree with you. I don't really see it either. Commodore was way more "let users/developers do whatever they want" than Apple ever was.
Old 08 July 2021, 23:47   #56
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
As for them being the new Commodore, I do agree with you. I don't really see it either. Commodore was way more "let users/developers do whatever they want" than Apple ever was.
Yeah, but prissy Commodore wouldn't let you run AmigaOS on your clone. Oh wait...
Old 08 July 2021, 23:53   #57
rothers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
HAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAH!!! Arrogant, much?

Custom hardware? Last I heard, Apple computers used the same basic parts as PCs, it's only the connectors that are different, and they're closed and proprietary compared to the PC's open standards. Fail.

That just shows how clueless you are about Apple. It's nothing to be proud of pal.
Old 09 July 2021, 11:34   #58
zardoz
Zone Friend

Is Steam a game changer? Digital distribution is a bit of a Marmite subject, but my boys hanker after new DLCs for the lumbering 4x games they play on outdated PCs (Stellaris, Victoria II). Neither of them are that bothered by graphics but are absorbed in the gameplay.

Daughter plays an online shooter (Valorant) with her friends that plays on my 'new' computer (ex office Dell PC with a bottom end nvidia GPU). I'm more fussed about what I can emulate with it tbh. PS3 is beyond it.
Old 09 July 2021, 13:37   #59
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
That just shows how clueless you are about Apple. It's nothing to be proud of pal.
Dude,watch a few Louis Rossman videos before you make silly statements like that.

Whilst I moan about PC's, I literally can change any piece of hardware with no difficulties and a fraction of the price of Apple, but that assumes you can actually do the same on Apple, which frequently, you cant.

Apple needs more than a processor change, they need an attitude to customers change before I will EVER consider one of their products, and frankly, other than a brief dalliance with an Ipod, my life has been just fine without their overly expensive, badly designed shit in my house.

I'm stunned you think what Apple does is reminiscent of Commodore.
Old 09 July 2021, 18:26   #60
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by zardoz View Post
Is Steam a game changer?
I am personally very annoyed with variety of game launchers.
Every freaking company have it's own launcher that is constantly boring you with updates, ads, and offers.
Steam, Epic, Gog, Blizzard, EA, Microsoft...

And what if I have just one favorite game from each of the above company?
I need 10 launchers for 10 games?
Launchers that eats comps recourses, and constantly spamming you with whatever..

I am especially annoyed with Blizzard Launcher.
When I want to play quick game of Starcraft 2, for example, and I double click on it... oh wait.. launcher is starting.. oh wait... launcher is not updated.. please restart launcher to finish the update..
It's like 5-7 minutes until I start playing.

And we were complaining' about Amiga floppy loading times?