English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 03 November 2017, 13:23   #1
Deksor

Gotek emulator problem with A600

Greeting everyone.

This A600 is my first Amiga !

Its floppy disk died so I tried to replace it with a gotek emulator that I flashed myself. When the amiga starts up, the gotek displays "000" like normal. The usb key if formatted in FAT32 and has the SELECTOR.ADF file.

But unfortunately it doesn't work. Instead after ~10sec I get this screen :

Does anybody know what's wrong ?

Old 03 November 2017, 13:37   #2
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

The same happens on HDD set-up when the Amiga cannot find an OS or there is problems with the start-up sequence.

Have you formatted and configure the software correctly?
Old 03 November 2017, 13:55   #3
Deksor

All I did was to upload the 1.05a firmware to the gotek emulator which seemed to work, then I formated the USB key in FAT 32 and then I put the SELECTOR.ADF file at the key's root. I tried with another USB key, but I got the same result.

Otherwise, I know the amiga works as I could boot from a CF card, but I want to play games, not to use the os ^^

Old 03 November 2017, 14:17   #4
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigaTech View Post
The same happens on HDD set-up when the Amiga cannot find an OS or there is problems with the start-up sequence.
No, you are completely wrong.
It would just boot to an empty Shell prompt or give some sort of error on the Startup-Sequence.

"NOt a DOS Disk in DF0" means that the disk in DF0 is bad or that the drive is bad. You can get this error with a broken disk drive.
NOTHING to do with the hard drive.

Perhaps the OP has a more serious issue (CIA? Recap?), that made his floppy drive fail.

Did it fail in the same way with floppies, Deksor? Have you recapped the machine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deksor View Post
All I did was to upload the 1.05a firmware to the gotek emulator which seemed to work, then I formated the USB key in FAT 32 and then I put the SELECTOR.ADF file at the key's root. I tried with another USB key, but I got the same result.
Try FlashFloppy instead of Cortex and see if the same happens.
https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy
Old 03 November 2017, 15:03   #5
Deksor

I don't have any amiga floppies so I couldn't test the drive that way, I tried several times to format DD floppies. At first it seemed to work, but it failed at the end. I tried to open it to clean the heads, then it didn't work at all and then I discovered the head motor was dead ... So I guess I broke it.

As for caps, I replaced evey capacitors on the board, I took care to not break the traces and I did my best to clean the residue although I'm not a professionnal so maybe some corrosive stuff remained and continued to damage the board. I didn't replace the two audio caps though as I can't reach them for now. I'll replace them later

I'll try flashfloppy. I don't have much time and other things to fix right now, so that may happen in few weeks or month

Old 03 November 2017, 16:32   #6
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deksor View Post
I don't have any amiga floppies so I couldn't test the drive that way, I tried several times to format DD floppies. At first it seemed to work, but it failed at the end. I tried to open it to clean the heads, then it didn't work at all and then I discovered the head motor was dead ... So I guess I broke it.
Yeah I guess you broke it. Floppy formatting usually fails because all disks are getting bit-rot and the drives are not at fault. People like to blame drives first, for some reason. I always blame shitty disks first.

Anyway, I am guessing then that the floppy drive didn't give that error on boot-up when you had it connected, so we can probably discard a failure on the computer, for now.

Quote:
I'll try flashfloppy. I don't have much time and other things to fix right now, so that may happen in few weeks or month
Try Flashfloppy, and if that doesn't work, there might be a problem with the Amiga. Hard to tell.

It could be that the floppy disk image you are trying to use (Selector) got corrupted somehow/somewhere. You can use Flashfloppy without a config/selector so you should try that out, with different disk images.

You said it takes ten seconds to show the error. Up until that point, is the Gotek reading the "disk"? Do you have floppy drive LED activity?
Old 03 November 2017, 16:45   #7
Deksor

Well I have several retro PCs as well and that floppy was perfectly fine. I now tend to separate the floppy that start to be crappy from those that are perfectly fine.

Too bad I didn't have any cleaning disk at that time. Now I do have one for 3.5" drives, but that was too late.

The led of the gotek is turning on and off indeed.

Old 03 November 2017, 17:50   #8
Amiga1992

So it's reading, which leads me to believe that the Gotek is working fine.
It could just be a problem with the USB stick and Cortex.

Change to FlashFloppy and it might all work.
Old 03 November 2017, 20:31   #9
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
No, you are completely wrong.
It would just boot to an empty Shell prompt or give some sort of error on the Startup-Sequence.
Actual I am not completely wrong, because this does happen when you do not set up DH0: DIRECTORY correctly. The very same prompt appears only instead of DF0 it is DH0. I have set-up enough hard drives to experience this one before. It sometimes relates to bad formatting and/or incorrect software install.

Quote:
"NOt a DOS Disk in DF0" means that the disk in DF0 is bad or that the drive is bad. You can get this error with a broken disk drive.
NOTHING to do with the hard drive.
In this case as it states DF0: yes it doesn't have anything to do with HDD. I was only pointing out that this can happen with hard drive set-ups, so maybe a similar problem was happening here.

Last edited by MigaTech; 03 November 2017 at 20:49.
Old 06 November 2017, 16:35   #10
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigaTech View Post
I was only pointing out that this can happen with hard drive set-ups, so maybe a similar problem was happening here.
The screen clearly says DF0.
Seems to be very hard for you to say "my bad, I was wrong".
Old 06 November 2017, 16:43   #11
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Quote:
The screen clearly says DF0.
Seems to be very hard for you to say "my bad, I was wrong".
You obviously didn't read the last part of my reply. Also I was quite aware it stated DF0 but as I stated in the first reply, it seems to be a similar problem when HDD set-up has been conducted all wrong. Only listing DH0 instead.

So if I was stating his problem was definitely to do with HDD set-up and not similar, like I did, then yes I would of been wrong.

Either way neither you or I have solve the OP's problem. So that makes both of us wrong! Doesn't it?
Old 18 November 2017, 17:40   #12
Deksor

Okay so I flashed FlashFloppy on the gotek. I don't really know how to use it though. All I did was to put the FF.CFG file they give you on the USB key and put the 2 floppy disks images of Turrican 2 as well.

But the amiga doesn't seem to see that there's a floppy disk inserted. If I remove the CF card, it goes to the "insert boot floppy" screen with the tiny animation. If I put the CF card in, workbench boots up, but there's no floppy disk available.