English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 18 January 2011, 17:11   #1
nixxjsteve

Painting keys (liquid plastic)

Hi there after advice I have ordered 2 tins of liquid plastic (the exact same stuff as seen in Chrispy's thread), to (yes I know another one) change my amiga into a black beast.

However... I want to color the keys black with no letters or numbers (like a das keyboard) So will I have any problems using the liquid plastic on keys? or is it just fair game like the case.

Thanks.
Old 18 January 2011, 18:12   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

I think you'll just have to try it. Most A1200 owners who decide to colour their cases black use a CDTV keyboard to avoid this problem.

This is a practice generally frowned upon by the Amiga community, because for every CDTV keyboard used for an A1200 conversion there is one more CDTV without one.

If you manage to pull this off it might signal a welcome reprieve for CDTVs losing their keyboards in future!
Old 18 January 2011, 20:51   #3
nixxjsteve

Ah I see... well once I get home tomorrow the cans should have arrived ¬_¬ and the fun shall begin!. edit: I did think about using the flatter laptop style keys.
Old 18 January 2011, 21:02   #4
prowler
Global Moderator

Don't forget to report your progress in this thread once you get started, with plenty of pics if possible.

There's bound to be a lot of interest in this, especially regarding the keys.

I would advise you to carefully remove the keys from the keyboard for the work and support them on matchsticks and blu-tak or similar.

Even though the keys will be plain black when you've finished, don't lose track of which keys go where, because those in different rows have different angles on the faces to give the keyboard its slightly concave profile.
Old 18 January 2011, 22:10   #5
Photon

A decent matte black bumper spray (for plastic bumpers on cars) from my local car parts store worked a charm on my yellowed A600 Portable space bar. It's been used over 2 years and still looks like new. You don't need a clear coat over it, just spray thin layers 2-3 times until it's covered. Recommended!

There's also transparent and black background stickers on eBay at about 8 EUR a pop. Make sure you get the vinyl permanent 'replacement' ones (full keymap). If you change your mind about no lettering afterwards, I mean.